Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Bass range

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by MCT, Oct 27, 2005.

1. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Hey guys I'm so curious as to how a DB is compared to an electric bass. I've listened to a lot of recordings so I know the sound differences, but I'm wondering as to how the neck is. For example I play a fretless fender jazz bass and it has 21 fret markings on it, so what is the neck length (octave wise) on a DB? Also do they play in the same vocal range? In other words are DB's deeper than electric basses?

2. The string bass is one octave lower than the electric bass. The number of octaves on mine, from the open G to the end of the fingerboard, is about two and a half octaves.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Whaaa? :confused: The one thing that my DBs and my slabs agree on is tuning; they're tuned identically.

4. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    • BG and DB are tuned the same.
    • Most double basses have a little over two octaves between the nut and the end of the fingerboard. It would be like having somewhere between 26 and 30 frets on a bass guitar (an estimation).
    • MCT, you probably already know this, but the string length for a DB is considerably greater. Mine is 42", whereas my electric bass is 34". It's a big adjustment.

5. Huh. The frequency for the E string on each is 41.3 Hz. Learn something new every day.

6. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Thanks guys sooo much. How hard is it to reach the end of the fretboard?

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Depends on how long your arms are. ;)

To many differences from bass to bass to to have a fixed idea of what is what in the world the the bullfiddle. My bass has 41 7/8” string length [it use to be 43 13/16” but I’ve modded my bass a bit] and the fingerboard is a little over 36”.

8. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    :meh: Well I guess a lot of my questions come from me being a big guy, and a lot of things look big in pictures but then when I touch them look and feel small. I'm not saying I'm huge by any means it's just maybe that the pictures I've seen show smalled guys and I have issues.

9. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I think you mean they both sound an octave lower than written.

10. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    I can hear it coming

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

12. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    lol yeah I play a fretless bass and I still call it a fretboard. I meant finger board, and I had a dream where I had a DB. Oh a boy can dream.