1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Doubt about Chorus effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassRudro, Dec 28, 2011.

1. BassRudro

BassRudro

Jul 26, 2011
    Well, I started to play bass about 3 months ago, I am in a band since that time.
    So, I don't understand much about effects and some other stuff yet.
    We make some covers (like Guns'n'Roses songs) and I heard that Duff Mackagan used Chorus effect a lot. So I am thinking about buying a pedal with Chorus effect.
    But I dont know if I should buy a multi effect pedal board or buy single effect pedals.
    Does the multi effects worth? Or is it better to buy single pedals ?
    For now I think I just need the chorus effect, to play guns, so I dont want to spend much money in this pedal. But if you guys think when I get more practice I'll need chorus effect tell me (if so, I prefer to buy a expensivier one), (If not, I will go for a cheaper one just to use when I play songs that chorus is needed).

I have doubt in this two pedals:
    Boss CEB 3- 90€
    Behringer BCH100 Bass Chorus- 20€

I heard that the sound is similiar and the diference is in the construction, but I dont know if it is true (because the price its very different).

Please help me out. :help:
    Sorry for english mistakes.
    Thanks. ;)

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Cheap pedals & entry level multi units are a good way to see what FX you like and don't like. Then down the road you can upgrade to the better gear.
    How much/often you use FX is up to you. The last two years I've been using no FX at all, But the band I was in before that I used Chorus/Flanger a lot. Have fun with it.

3. BassRudro

BassRudro

Jul 26, 2011
    Thanks for the advice :)

4. I will say this: effects are addicting. I would go with a multi-effect unit to start. You may find after you play with chorus that you start hearing other effects you want to try. With a multi-effect unit it is much easier, later on you may want to upgrade to a board full of wonderful effects that have a specific purpose or you may not like it at all.

Behringer pedals are a good way to get familiar with effects as they are almost all copies of other pedals (your example is a perfect one). They are cheap to buy, generally sound good, but have plastic bodies. I use two Behringer effects on my board and if they break, I'll be buying another Behringer to replace it.

5. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I like the Behringer bass chorus (BUC400), it's one of their best efforts and it isn't a boss clone...it has more control of the shape of the chorus but no EQing. What isn't good at all about Behringer is their bypass, how they sound when the effect isn't on. They muffle your signal. You might want a Beh. chorus and a mini loop pedal so you can take it out of the signal path when it's not being used.
    And for the same money, Boss's non-bass chorus is thought better by some than the bass one, it's the same with 2 tone control filters instead of one. Other cheep options exist too. Ebay has some closeouts and special prices on choruses. Dan Electro, Tone Weil, TRex Sweeper, older Ibanez and Digitech.

6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, if you are just looking to see if you will like the chorus effect, get a cheap Behringer chorus. If you want a bullet proof pretty decent chorus, then get a Boss (the CE-3 is a very subtle chorus, I have one, so you might want to look for something like a CE-5)

7. this is cliche but ... i don't care

Multi's are jack of all trades but master of none... to a noob like yourself and I... we are usually perfectly happy with the sound/tone these produce.

There is a learning curve on navigating a multi's menus and setting it up.

I decided to get a line6 ld300 with a few effects built in. if I hadn't got that I'd be getting the newest Zoom with the wah/volume pedal on it and a combo to plug it into.

research the Zoom or something Line6 ... either of these will serve well and you can get a used unit for a decent price.

Chorus ... is my favorite effect!

8. BassRudro

BassRudro

Jul 26, 2011
    I heard that a multi effect pedal board makes the volume of the combo higher, is that true?
    My friend has one for guitar and the sound of his combo got much better (higher) than before.
    I also read in some topic here on TB that a volume pedal swell the volume, too.

9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    +1 for the BOSS. I'm afraid I must disagree about the CE-3 being subtle, I love mine. Very chorusy. Although unfortunately they're not made anymore, I also have a CEB-3 I used for about 4 years before the CE-3. Try the CEB-3, it's a good chorus, and you should be able to find one cheap in the classifieds.

10. BassRudro

BassRudro

Jul 26, 2011
    Mini loop pedal ? how is that ?

11. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
  12. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    My thoughts are to go to a good music store and spend a bunch of hours (screw their commission) trying pedals of all sorts before you buy anything. This will give you a good idea even if you want effects or not. And chances are the salesman will even help you tweak the pedal a bit. If you like what you hear pay the extra euro for the upgrade. Still not sure? Buy the cheaper behringer pedal. Demoing pedals in a store is free...buying the wrong pedals can start to add up quickly. Just don't go into the store and play endless Duff MacKagan bass lines. Truly listen to the A/B sounds.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you're just interested in chorus, just get a chorus pedal. The cheap multi-FX units are usually dicey on quality. To get a quality multi-FX, you generally have to shell out some coin. For instance, in the guitar world, there's a world of difference between some cheap DigiTech floor professor and a TC Electronics or Lexicon unit.

Of course, you've only been playing for a few months, so all of that may not be as important to you as someone who has been seriously playing for a while.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Many effects can boost your volume. It does not matter at all whether they are in a multi box or in individual pedals. Guitar amps are designed to overdrive nicely (and sound "better") when you boost the signal, but if you boost the input of a cheap/small bass amp it will usually sound like garbage. Bass needs more clean power and speakers in order to sound better.

Your question about volume pedals suggests something got lost in translation. Are you really asking about "swell" (a gradual increasing slope like a violin note), or are you just talking about getting more loudness?

A volume pedal is just like the volume knob on your bass, but in a pedal. It will not make your amp louder.