Dr.Bass vs. Avatar vs. Low Down Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iualum, May 16, 2004.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    What do you guys think of these 3 outfits. Is one any better than the other for quality/cab performance? Is one easier than the others to work with? Thinking about doing 2 cabs from Dr.Bass, a 210 & a 212, all Neos, but looking for any input before I pull the trigger. Are there any other companies to consider? But please don't say Ampeg, SWR, Accugroove, etc... Thanks very much.

2. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I don't see a a 2-12 cab from DrBass on their site but they do make mention of it. May be it hasn't been up dated. Seems strange that the price difference between Dr Bass 1-12 and 1-15 in birch is $10.Avatar cabs are 3/4 plywood and have good reviews and cost much less that the 3/4 ply Dr Bass. Also consider Peavey and Hartke ,both can be heard at store where the direct order ones cannot .
    Also easier to get problems resolved at store than thru mail.

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Give Don at Low Down Sound a call. Super good guy and will tailor the cab just about anyway you would like.
    His 2x12 cab is a great sounding box.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Do these guys have a website i could visit??? Low down sound and Dr.Bass??

5. I have only dealt with Avatar and the service and product is top notch. I would go back to them in a heartbeat. Well built cabs and they have worked out great for just about everything.

I really like the look and the options from Dr. Bass. The bedliner-type covering and the option for a built in rack means that you could roll your own combo. Pretty cool.

The Low Down sound stuff is what I have the least info on. It seems like really good stuff too.

I'm not dismissing the advancements in bas cab design that folks like EA, Epifani, Accugroove... have made. If you are looking for a hi-fi sound and the linearity that these kinds of cabs give, then you might want to go that way. I think that there is a use for everything from a sealed 1x15 to a Whappo, and all points in between.

Don't forget Acme for a hi-fi cab on a budget. Be sure to bring some power to the party!

Pete

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    www.lowdownsound.com
    They will shoot cabs with the coating as well as configure a rack into the cab if you so request it.
    I guess the difference is that LDS will custom build whatever you would like cab wise.
    Never having delt with Avatar or Dr.Bass, I couldn't comment on what options they offer other than what their web sites mention. But judging from the comments here on TB, I'd say they are making some great cabs.
    I'm a little biased to LowDownSound because I know Don and his staff personally (I live 2 min from his shop) and they are working players and take their products personally.
    Do a search for them here and you'll get more info on them.
    I know their 2x8 is causing quite a stir around TB these days.

7. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    drbasscabs.com

8. Avatar rocks your face!!!

I absolutely LOVE my avatar B410...and dave rocks!!!

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Out of curiosity, what are some rough estimates on the prices on his cabs?

10. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I ordered some custom cabs from Dr. Bass and got them a few days back, pretty darn nice! Marc was really pleasent to deal with and he'll pretty much make anything that you ask him to. His price points are pretty attractive as well. I used one of the cabs at a rather loud rehearsal yesterday and it performed flawlessly, I'm really pleased with it so far! I'll be posting a more complete reveiw once I get a chance to put them head to head against my GS112, hopefully tomorrow.

11. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Really looking forward to the appraisal. :cool:

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Wow Emprov! Kinda wild. Just saw your Harmony Central post.
    Your Dr.Bass 3-way(1x12 Neo, 1x6, & compression horn) is outperforming your Aguilar GS112? Maybe I should give-em a try myself. I think I'll maybe wait just a little while longer to be sure it doesn't crap out on you tomorrow or somethin', lol.

13. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    This was a *very* preliminary opinion based only on a single, very loud rehearsal. All that I've had time to do with them at this point is install the head, throw it in the truck and plug into it at a rehearsal. I haven't yet had time to really freak around with it and give it a proper test yet, hopefully that'll come today. And, I decided against the Neo's. Marc and I spoke for a while and I came to the conclusion that, for my uses, Neo's probably wouldn't be the best speaker.

14. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, well that's really good, I mean the part about you & Marc working together to get the right sound for you. Pretty important. Tells me a lot about his commitment to doing right by his customers. Something for me to give strong consideration to as I decide where to place my business. Nothing against Dave @ Avatar or Don @ LDS. I've seen good appraisals of their help too.

Just thought it was a 12" Neo because that's what the Dr.Bass shows. So, which speaker did you go with?

May I ask the ballpark price of the Dr.Bass cab & the Aguilar cab?

Hoping that you'll have time to give another follow-up on it. I'm real interested.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have some experience with Dr. Bass cabs (prototypes, with neo drivers), and no experience with Avatar. But I have been up to Low Down Sound several times, and if I were to be buying from one of these three, it would be from Don at LDS. Nothing against Dr. Bass or Avatar (in truth, I was fairly impressed with the Dr. Bass cabs), but not only is Don super easy to work with, and willing to customize a cab to your needs, but I have been extremely impressed with every one of his cabs that I have heard, which include: 1x12 w/ horn (very GS112-like), 1x12 w/ coax tweet, 1x15 (one of the best 1x15's I have heard), 3x10 w/ horn, 3x8 w/ horn, 4x8 w/ horn, and 5x8 w/ coax tweet. That 3x8 is really something special (all his long-throw 8" cabs are impressive), but I am very much hankering to hear some of his 2x8's. On my first visit, Don took me back into his shop and showed me a 1x12 in the build process. I can assure you that his construction techniques are impeccable, and his attention to detail is impressive (all caulked joints, high grade birch plywood, etc.). The build quality/approach is very akin to Epifani cabs.

The nice thing is that all of these lesser known makers are putting out some very respectable products at affordable prices. Another person to conisder is Joey Nahas. There are some TalkBassers who are very happy with his cabs, too.

Tom.

16. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Just to keep this thread alive, no official review yet, (hopefully tomorrow?) but I'm definitely keeping these things and selling my GS112. The cab's aren't quite as boomy or have quite the low end that the Aguilar has but they definitely have more clarity, punch, note definition and volume. Don't get me wrong, the Aguilar's a great cab but so far I'm way more impressed with the new cabs. And BTW, they were about $300 each.

17. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    I have an Avatar B115H (older rear-ported)... and I must say I love it. Great sound and volume, reliable (had it over a year, loud practices and gigs)... Dave is a GREAT help, as well.

However... having looked at these LDS cabs, Im really diggin the custom cab thing. Haha.. I may hafta give him a call and see what a 1x15"+2x10" might run me. I dont mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone have some unusual cab concepts they either want or have custom made?

18. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Maybe a 2x8+1x12 seem kinda cool i think :)

19. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...maybe I missed it. Was there a link posted for D.r Bass...I searched also...couldn't find anything.

20. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    drbasscabs.com

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2022