1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Short Scale Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Feb 13, 2020.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Been using Lo-Riders exclusively for my round wounds for years now and had hoped to find them in an short scale variety. Since these don't seem to exist, I figured I'd try out some other short scale strings by DR and can't seem to find any. BUT - their official website shows Stanley Clarke, among others, who are DR endorsers and he exclusively plays a shorty... so what's up? Do they exist or not?

I just put a set of D'Addario 160S on last night and it's just not my feel... they'll likely be coming off tonight. I really wanted to try the GHS 3035 but can't find any in my area. It's a real shame, this dearth of short scale options. :thumbsdown:

2. Being from Canada myself, I stopped shopping for bass strings locally long time ago.

Two people I've dealt with for the last few years are Jason at Fret Nation and Matt at Strings By Mail. Get in touch with either one of them and they'll be able to help you.

3. By the way...

GHS "short scale" = 32.75" in winding length (ball end to taper/silk).
    DR "short scale" = 34" in winding length (ball end to taper).

If you want DR strings in true "short scale" (= 32" winding), you'll have to have them custom ordered.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Interesting. I'd definitely need "true short scale," as the bass I'm trying to outfit is 30.5" scale length. I've never tried to order custom strings... Can I just call a manufacturer directly? I'd be in bass heaven if I could get a true short scale set of Lo-Riders!

Where'd you find the info on DR shorties? I couldn't find any info on the things anywhere

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Probably not, as most companies do not sell direct to customers. And if they DO, it's going to involve set up fees and a minimum quantity to make it worth their time to set up a machine just for your order.

Usually Jason at Fret Nation can get a custom run of shorter/longer length strings, so I'd inquire with him.

6. Jason at Fret Nation would be the best guy for this.

He's talked about being able to special order DR Black Beauties with 32" winding length. It would be worth shooting him an email.

7. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Oh hey, thanks for the info! BTW, do you know why it's so hard to find GHS bass strings in Canada (Toronto, specifically?). Being that it's the most populous city in the country, it's a strange thing imo. It looks like the only dealer you guys have is located in a small town outside of Montreal.

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Anything out of the US, we deal with distributors who then sell to the dealers. I can inquire about it, but my best guess is that the dealers in Toronto aren't ordering because people aren't coming into the store asking for GHS.

9. If it weren't for TalkBass, I'd still be using D'Addario XL Nickels because that's what my local dealers here in Winnipeg carry in abundance. The sad part about it is the salespeople at these local stores are very ignorant and lack knowledge when it comes to bass strings in general.

10. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Makes sense. And I guess me being the one weirdo asking for all kinds of "unusual" stuff isn't enough for them to do the work to try to find it. That said, I'd put money on it that if more people saw that there was an option other than D'Addario (no shade meant - they're just EVERYWHERE), they'd start using them. That's what happened to me when I discovered DR.

This is true, especially at L&M. Steve's seems a lot better in this respect but I don't think you've got one in MB, right?

I guess I'll be buying online from the US, then. It's a shame, though. It would be nice to be buying locally and without the added hassle of currency exchange and shipping.

11. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I have three different short scale basses and each needs different "length" strings. My Gibson Les Paul Triumph takes short scale LaBellas, my 1971 Guild M-85 II takes medium scale, and my Alembic Stanley Clarke takes long scale. It has to do with the distance from the the ball end is anchored to the actual bridge. On my Gibson with the two-point (or Evertilt™) the distance is very short, like on a Fender Jazz or P. The Guild has a lot more distance so mediums are needed, otherwise the silks would probably stick out over the nut. The distance on the Alembic is even longer. So - what kind of short-scale are you putting the strings on?

12. That 34" winding length is handy though if you happen to have a short scale bass that actually requires medium scale strings (ie, string through bridge, or a bridge/tailpiece like on the Godin Dorchester that a short scale string is a bit short for)

matante likes this.
  13. Have you ever gone up to Cosmo? (Richmond Hill, so if you're downtown it's kinda far) I've dealt with some pretty knowledgeable folks up there on my few visits there. Fantastic guit/bass showroom too - so many cool things to try out.

If you head up that way, there's also Solo near Dufferin/Langstaff.

14. I do understand what you're saying.

My whole point, though, is it often leads to confusion when these string companies refer to their string length by "scale length" instead of "winding length".

thisheregiraffe likes this.
  15. The Mogpipe

The Mogpipe

Nov 9, 2017
    My Ibanez AGB200 short scale I just got recently (shortscale), requires medium scale strings

16. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    The last time I was at Cosmo was for their grand opening after they moved locations... I think that was like 2007 or something lol. Might be time for a trip up there... Maybe I'll go this weekend.

Have you ever been to Club Bass? They're in Etobicoke.

17. I'm not sure I've even heard of Club Bass. I'll have to look them up.

18. Club Bass & Guitar

19. Markzts

Markzts

Aug 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    To answer your question:
    DR sunbeams - most lifeless inconsistent set I have had on a 30" scale bass - dull, will never buy again

Because I'm still up at 1am after doing my taxes, I'll include the following:
    Daddario tapes are ok, but inconsistent tone as the D and G are much brighter than the E and A.
    Daddario chromes - I have these on one bass now mostly for the smooth feel and playability ( there's an empty subjective term for you ).
    Labella Flats - glassy smooth, but stiff to the point I didn't like playing them ( also have a low tension set, but haven't tried them out yet, maybe these will be more to my liking )
    GHS Balanced Nickel - Just like GHS claims, these are the most consistent tension and tone string to string I have ever played on a 30" scale. More mellow tone than an all steel string, but still sufficient roundwound tone as well ( bartolini 9CBJD pups ). A joy to play and easily my favorite strings.
    GHS Pressurewound - good , but in their short scale form, I find the E string too thin and bendy ( it's 0.096 where the balanced nickel E is 0.106 and is perfect in this regard ).
    GHS brite flats - there is no "brite" in these, not near as brite as the daddario chromes anyway. Not as flat either being as they are a ground string. Won't be using these again.
    Rotosound tapes - strings are thick and needed a new nut to try them out. Definitely more of a thumpy tone than the daddario tapes.

I built a 30" scale bass that uses long scale strings through body just so I could try out a wider variety of strings. I'm just getting started with that and it has GHS pressurewounds on it now ( 44 - 106 set which is what I think GHS needs for gauges on their short scale set like the BNs ). I'm liking these so far.... Not as consistent as the balanced nickels, but more power, bite, and clank ( sometimes you just need a good clank ).