Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dream Theater Effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sako, May 16, 2005.

1. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    My son recently got me into Dream Theater. I've known about them for years, just never really listened to them. But now that I have the Train of Thought CD on my iPod, I can't stop listening to them. I'll probably have to go out and buy all their CDs.

My question: Does anyone know what effect John Myung is using on Stream of Consciousness (about mid-way throught the song)?

2. if youre talking about when everything but the bass and drums cut out and its in a 1/2 time feel, its overdrive..he drives the tubes in his mesa boogie 400 tube amp...real thick sound...hes also been known to use a few other modulation effects, but via a midi foot switch, so i dont kno what exactly he uses...but for stream of consciousness, its overdrive

3. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Well I definitely hear the overdrive, I thought he also had some kind synth or octave fuzz in there.

4. Ok...i'm gonna listen to it again, and ill post a reply later today with what effects i am hearing him use and what times in the song

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    To the best of my knowledge, JM is using his Hamer 8-string during the "King Crimson" part of Stream of Consciousness.

...except that he hasn't used Mesa Boogie gear since the "Falling Into Infinity" era. ;) These days his rack is complicated to the point of absurdity, but is primarily based around SWR and Ashdown gear. It's harder to tell now that they run inner-ear monitors and his gear is offstage, but on the "Live Scenes..." DVD you can clearly see his backline as SWR-based.

6. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i know this doesnt really answer ur question, but apparently the guitarist (i think) is using one of these.. i want one:

alphawave.

7. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    An overdriven 8-string makes sense. Very cool sound.

What's an Alphawave?

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD

Haha, I think that's how it is for a lot of bassists. I'd heard about them for years and finally caught on when Scenes From A Memory came out. Had to go out and buy everything else they'd done almost immediately after.