1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Driver ticketed for driving without being able to speak English.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Oct 26, 2009.

1. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Oops on the officer's part. He had a really legitimate stop there, and blew it by citing "unable to speak English".

She'll most likely get off now, and continue driving without a license.

2. Friggin' Dallas cops............. :atoz:

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

She has a valid license but forgot it because she was hurrying out of the house.

Many drivers forget their licenses upon leaving home for many different reasons.

But I'm sure you haven't.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    She's been a legal US resident for 29 years and doesn't speak english?

I'm finding that hard to believe.

5. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    If you live here then you should speak english. But still it was bad move on the officer's part, his career is over.

6. ^^^ Yep

7. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    If she doesn't speak/understand English, how can she read road signs? Isn't that kind of dangerous? How did she get her license in the first place without reading English for a permit test?

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    One can read a different language and understand but not be able to speak it.

9. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    In Texas, you can take a written test in Spanish.

10. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Ahh well that clears things up I suppose.

But all in all, I feel like the blame should be put on the supervising officer for letting this happen, not the rookie. If the supervision would have been stricter and adequate, this situation would have never happened.

11. this.

i went to a Spanish speaking country for 2 weeks and was approaching fluent before i left.

this "unable to speak English" seems like just a Freudian slip in writing.

12. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Innnnnnnteresting that she was admitted overnight for 'stress related reasons' and ran up a $7,000 bill that she expects the city to pay. This sounds like some kind of scam. You don't need a full battery of testing after getting pulled over.

It's fair to say that the 'no English' ticket is bizarre and unwarranted, but if we ignore the offensive nature of it for a moment, isn't that probably better than an illegal u-turn + not being in possession of her driver's license? It almost sounds like the cop gave her a ticket that could get thrown out of court just to help her out, or like when you get pulled over for doing 5 over and you get a 'tail light out' ticket.

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Except it's not illegal for a non-commercial driver to not speak English...and she also DID get cited for an illegal u-turn and no license.

14. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Ah, I see this pointed out in the second article. Fair game on the illegal u-turn and no license, not so much on the 'no English.'

15. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Can she read English? If she can't then she is a hazard to other people on the road. I did not see anything in the article about this, but I could have overlooked this.

Since she had a valid license I would assume that she can at least read English. A ticket for not speaking English is asshatery.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    This idea that you need to be able to read English to drive is somewhat odd. I have driven in many countries where the roadsigns are in foreign languages. You may not have noticed, but there is a reason why road signs follow particular shape / colour codes and often have pictures indicating the rule.

17. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Over here you are not required to be able to read to get your driver's license. (Except for trucks, maybe busses also.)

You can request an oral theoretical exam.
    You must take an eye test, but that consists of seeing in which directions some E's are pointed.

18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The Spanish speaking community is huge. There are many people in the U.S. who live their whole lives not speaking any English at all. In fact, the Spanish speaking community is unique when compared to other minority language groups in the fact that many people don't hold any credence to learning English.

19. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida

You're kidding right? People who READ English can't even follow signs correctly. :D