1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drums and Bass only songs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TeamTrejo, Oct 22, 2010.

1. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    Our drummer scheduled as gig early next month. It turns out the two guitarist won't be able to make it to the pub until about an hour after the gig is supposed to start. As we are e-mailing each other the drummer jokingly says, "Well, it looks like the first hour is just drums and bass." I know he was kinda kidding but can it be done? Should it be done? We cover classic rock. The drummer is also the lead singer and he is quite good. I sing backup.

I'm game to try it for a short set just for fun.

Any thoughts on a few songs?

2. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    It's most certainly possible, but it won't sound much like classic rock

check out these videos of larry bright/wooten jamming, each one is quite different (youll find the rest in the side bar thingy)

3. 2 bands i can think of

death from above 1979 and el ten eleven

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    +1

you could actually play some of your regular songs, but with this arrangement... and I'd add some effects into the chain, to spice it up if/when necessary...

you could prerecord some stuff as well...

or invite some other musicians for the first hour...

5. MadDogM

MadDogM

Oct 20, 2010
    You could try the Osaka Jam by Muse XP

6. There are a lot of reggae songs with just drums, bass and vocal. "Who Colt The Game" by Bob Marley comes to mind.

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Some Kind of Wonderful.

8. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Most AC/DC songs can be done with a good overdriven bass, voice and drums.

The White Stripes can be faked too without using a guitar, even the Pixies. Yeah, not so "classic" rock, maybe...

9. The Awakening by Les Claypool

10. This, OR Death From Above 1979 has a ton of songs for Bass/drum set-up, just use disortion

11. BillW87

BillW87

Oct 17, 2010
    Boston, MA
    It can be done, but its going to take a lot of preparation to put together a drum and bass set that can entertain an audience for an hour. My advice is to talk the situation over with the pub owner/booking agent so that they know what the situation is and maybe plan on starting late with a 15-20 minute drum and bass set. Most venues would much rather have a show start late than have two guys go up and mess around with an under-rehearsed set for an hour and drive customers out the door. Rather than jeopardize the gig and possibly future gigs for your band go with a shorter time frame for the experiment so that if it bombs after the first song you can pack it up for 10 minutes, grab a drink at the bar, and then get back on stage when the rest of your band gets there.

12. bassgod94

bassgod94

Jun 10, 2010
    Moby Dick by Led Zep would be fine without the guitar riffs, I've jammed with a great drummer around here, just so long as the drummer's good enough

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Maybe bust out a few bass-and-voice classics like "Fever" and "King Of The Road"?

14. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Big Bottom, spinal tap?

15. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Morphine (but w/o the bari sax) -

16. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    If you can do it WELL, then it should be done. Otherwise, if it is gonna sound like a$$ due to the material being too much of a stretch or due to preparation, then I'd just as soon gracefully downplay the suggestion and forget it, or find a sub on guitar or piano that you can support as an "opening act" or to have that person play with you on some songs that you already do, which that person would know.

17. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    JPJ and Diamanda Galás did it for most of The Sporting Life, although the subject matter of that particular album may cause people to run screaming from the bar or call the cops on you.

:eek:

18. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    You could always put on a dress and play along to tracks, like that Korean dude with all the vids.

19. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Two songs that immediately come to mind are "White Lines" by the Sugar Hill gang and "Peaches" by the Stranglers. ]

If you can sing you can also pull off "London Calling" with only bass and drums.

20. No matter how good you are, at a pub gig you're only gonna be annoying people.

Wouldn't matter if it was Wooten and, errr.., that drum guy who's really good; in a pub they want stuff they know and can recognise within 3 seconds of the song starting.