Duke LeJune's Birdhaus 4x6

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Ric Vice, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Hello All,
    I had a very nice gig last evening using Dukes new 4x6 cabinet. We were doing a Louis Armstrong
    tribute with 2 Trumpets, Clarinet, Tenor, and Rhythm. Using a Walter Woods Ultra with the Ehrlund EAP and pre amp. I got a very warm, articulate, sound. Very nice little cabinet that weighs 23 lbs.
    It has two front firing 6" drivers and two side firing 6". Birdhaus 4x6.

Ric

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Would love to road test one of these!

james condino likes this.
  3. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    You can read about the cabinet on the Audiokinesis website. The two side firing speakers put the sound at your ears.

MR PC and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I've been lusting after a Thunderchild for the whole year and now that one looks very cool and then after checking out the website....must have the 4 x 8 model......!!!!! Duke is the man!

5. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    James,
    The Birdhaus 4x6 is a horse of a different color compared to the TC-112. The Horn, Crossover, and Driver in the Thunderchild are seamless over the entire range of the Double Bass.
    The Birdhaus has a special EQ circuit (he calls it a "Cheater") that helps with definition. It has a defeat switch on the newer cabinets. It also has a single rear port that can be closed
    with one of Duke's famous Orange port plugs. Because of the side firing speakers, I don't this cabinet would be ideal for use with microphones, like a DPA or Troll, but I haven't tried it. The weight of the 4x8 didn't appeal to me as I was looking for something more
    portable, with a smaller footprint.

6. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I bought a Thundetchild 112 a few months ago, and it is a stellar cab!
    I didn't tell anyone in my band that I had a new cab, and as soon as I started playing at the first gig, two people in the band turned their heads and exclaimed my bass sounded amazing. Big smile on my face.

Ok, back to the Birdhaus discussion.

Ric Vice, TomB and rickwolff like this.
  7. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

GenzBenz AI Hybrid.
    Ric, New speaker for you or are you just critiquing it for Duke?

In either case, How does it compare to your 4x5?

Also, you say the TC is seamless across the entire range, I take it that the Birdhouse is not? How are the lows with the Birdhouse.

Re: mics, you mentioned it might not work well with something like the DPA or Troll. I have been continuing to get great results with my Ischell - even using my new AI Contra cab right in front of me and facing directly back at the bass - No feedback.

I don't know what I'll do with myself if I get off the gear 'merry go round', but I am really happy with my current setup. Carved Shen Gemunder w EP Weichs > Headway EDB-2 > Genz Benz 6.2 > AI Contra.

I don't know if you saw the picture I posted earlier, but the GB fits beautifully into the AI cab making a sweet tiny and lightweight combo

8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Rick,
    Nope, I bought it from Duke in Feburary. It needs to go back to him for an upgrade, because he's added a switch to turn the EQ off. The lows are really good, so good infact,
    that I've always used the port plug to tame them. The cabinet is different from the MAS 4x5 because the sound has a much wider dispersion. Which I suppose is more akin
    to the something like the AI Ten2 or a Phil Jones Superflight case. It's form factor makes it dandy to schlep. MAS cabinets are so amazingly detailed and project off the stage
    so well. The Birdhaus is a horse of a different color I guess. I did see that picture, it's amazing that those two pieces are so compatable. I did that once with a SWR Baby Blue.

Ric

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Love the TC-112, it's a great cabinet for doubling on a stage.