1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dumb question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by chepo06, May 19, 2012.

1. chepo06

chepo06

Mar 5, 2009
    ON terminals on back of my poweramp, white wire from cable is positive black negative?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You need to be more specific; it's impossible to understand what you're asking.

What terminals? What cable?

3. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    I think I get what you're asking. You have a speaker cable and one lead is white and lead of the wire is black. You wish to verify which color wire is the positive and negative wire in relationship to the wire you have. It appears you were probably unaware that not all cables are the same color lead wires. Some are red and black, ,some are silver and gold, and there can also be other variations.

Here is the secret to what you are wanting to know. If your cable is a speak-on type connector on one end and "black and white" on the other end. Unscrew the connector base from the speak-on connector and slide the strain relief out. Pull the cable straight back guiding the center of the connector out of the case. The color of wire that is hooked up to the cup labeled 1+ is the positive color lead and the color of wire that is inserted into the cup labeled 1- is the negative lead. And on the back of most amps that would be positive to red terminal post and negative to the black terminal post. I think most amps are standard in this respect.

If you have a 1/4" connector, unscrew the Burrell and which ever color wire is soldered to the long terminal is the negative and the color wire soldered to the short terminal in the center is the positive.

This is the most basic of speaker hookin' up technology you will need to know. Everybody out there needs to understand these things, so it's a good question.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    When stripping the outer insulation from a length of 2-conductor speaker cable, you should see two inner wires...one sheathed in black, the other in white. The black is positive (+) and the white is negative (-). Burn this into your memory.

Riis

5. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    From a certain perspective, it does not matter.
    All that matters is that each speaker be wired the same way.

Additionally, one must verify that their cabs are wired consistently.

Importantly, black is not always positive. With white and black, white is negative and black is positive. However, with black and red, black is negative and red is positive.