1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dummy Bass Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DownhillWillie, Mar 16, 2009.

1. DownhillWillie

DownhillWillie

May 22, 2007
    Anyone know where I can get a few "Dummy" 4x10 cabs?:confused:
    I tried a search on google but no luck
    Downhill

2. Hi.

Any theater/movie setmakers will make them for You.

Better yet, DIY route is quick and probably the most cost efficient.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

3. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    On ebay you can get a 4x10 empy cabinet for $70 plus $45 shipping.
    Just search on ebay for "bass cabinet" or "410 bass cabinet".

You can mount four 10" black panels to cover each speaker opening so it won't appear to be empty.

It helps the illusion a little to mount the black panel from the rear instead of the front. To do this you would have to carefully add a notch to one of the lower openings to fit the 10 inch panel through the 9 1/4 inch cutouts.

Or you could make something that is convex and sort of looks like a speaker cone. Or use real speakers - you could probably buy blown drivers to use.

4. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    Or even use some painted paper plates, no? Just staple/glue 'em in.

5. the engine

the engine Guest

OK...I promise I'm not trying to start something here but.... What's the reason for these cabs? (other than maybe to smuggle things in)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Reason? There has to be a reason? OK, the reason is to rock!

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The title of this thread should be:

"Dummy cabs for Dummies" :)

8. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Maybe to make a cool, killer looking "amp stand"?

9. Bands do it all the time to add to the "look." As I Lay Dying does it, as well as almost every other metal band that can afford a stage crew.

10. konodl18

konodl18

Jun 6, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, +1 on the 'to add to the look' comment.

A local band around here that puts on a pretty fantastic live show uses a bunch of fake 4x12 guitar cabs stacked 2 high on one side of the stage and 3 or 4 fake 8x10 bass cabs side by side on the other. It really frames in the stage and with the drum riser in the middle it looks pretty awesome.

I know that theirs are home built with no speakers in them but just cutouts with something behind like you guys mentioned. They are going to be much heavier if you actually put blown drivers or whatever in them. I know that the 4x12 guitar cabs they have are acutally bolted together top to bottom and they are still pretty light.

Derek

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Posterboard prints on stick frames. Or inflateables even. Which reminds me: which would I rather see on stage: a bunch of fake cabs - or a bunch of demo dollies dancing over by the bass player? Entertainment, indeed ; }

12. I say big thumbs down to empty cabs on stage for "the look"... I prefer cab walls to be fully functional and potentially life ending... :smug:

But you can find empty cabs on Ebay no problem most of the time. ;)

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Or ones that might as well be... ; }

14. Why choose? They could be dancing in front of the bass player's fake cabs!

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I don't award bonus entertainment points for fake cabs, so...

16. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Fill it with passive radiators...at least they look real, and they remain light.

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, if you go the DIY route, make 'em "knockdowns" with removal braces and piano hinges so you can fold them down flat for easier transport and storage. Same goes for the dancin' babes....well, at least the folding over part.

Glad to be of service.

Riis

18. the engine

the engine Guest

Um...I'm a child of the 80's. I've seen bands do everything dumb imaginable. If you aren't world famous, and you're looking for dummy cabs...that's real dumb.

19. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I once worked a show with a band that looked like they used all vintage Vox gear... until I got onstage and saw that they were just shells and had GK amps mounted inside. Talk about dummy cabs.

20. DownhillWillie

DownhillWillie

May 22, 2007
    Hey wait a minute, I asked about dummy cabs not DUMMY ANSWERS? If you can't help out with the thread then cool.