1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

earthquaker devices the warden compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by willbassyeah, Mar 31, 2013.

1. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    seems to be a cool pedal, , juan alderete mentioned that he loves that comp at one of his Namm video. waitting for Bongo to review

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ooh, I hadn't heard about it yet. I'll contact them.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Ooh. I was thinking of trying to scoop up a PWNZOR (which I've tried and really dig) but this also seems up my alley.

4. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Is it weird that a compressor has a tone knob? Is that for people that don't want transparency?

5. Although I'm quite happy with my M87, I would love to see what you have to say about it when you get it. I'm still kind of learning about compression and haven't heard the difference in a live/studio setting yet.

6. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm just curious about the "tone" knob. Haven't seen that on any of the other compressors I'm considering.
    I LOOOOOVE the tone of my Roscoe bass. I don't know if I want to change it at all... Just want some more punch and evenness to it all.

7. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Diamond Bass Comp has an EQ knob that's fairly versatile. Go from transparent to some serious bass boosting tone.

8. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    the tone knob on The Warden is described as a treble boost/cut. I suppose it ends up being the same as a bass boost/cut just in reverse.
    I'm excited to go into work tomorrow and see if we have one in stock. if so, I'll bring it home and record some sound samples.

9. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Actually I am kinda curious abt it... Seems to have the control that I want was thinking of getting a new comp.

10. The Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone had a tone knob (I think it was labeled "treble"). It was just a high roll-off, and when it was all the way up, it was basically transparent. Some comps have EQ or tone controls.

11. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    There's a new phil tone by pigtronix fri bass. It has no tone knob. But anyway, I'll record some samples of the warden in the next day or so

12. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So... The first note I play into the warden seems to be super loud and strong and then the compressor kicks in. Why could this be? I don't think it's an issue with release because I have to stop playing completely for about 10-15 seconds then it'll do it again on the next note.

13. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Apr 30, 2012
    Albuquerque
    It sounds like you have a long attack time set and a low output gain such that it waits a minute, clamps down, then only releases after the attack time. Hmm..

14. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, I set a long attack time so it will let my punch through before compressing. But even with an attack at noon it does this. The first note is huge, then it flattens out as long as I continue to play. Is this something particular to optical comps?
    I heard low thresh, long attack time, high ratio, and medium-to- long release for good punch while keeping even.

Guess you could argue I got my wish by having the first note being so much louder/punchier than the others. Haha. But I want even volume with punch

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Three reasons:

--Yes this is common with optical comps, to varying degrees. For example the Urei LA3A and the Pigtronix do the same thing.

--It depends on the specific circuit design; every comp has its own signature action and quirks.

--You have the threshold set TOO low. Remember that "low" is a relative term. Depending on the strength of your input signal, and the design of the comp, the highest threshold knob setting on that pedal might still be low relative to your signal!

Bonus detail: threshold knobs are often "backwards" from what you'd expect. High vs low doesn't always have the same min vs max knob relationship.

16. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, I'm using a fender standard jazz and had the sustain (input) knob almost all the way dialed.
    MXR m87 is made just for bass and I just think it'll be more up my alley. Just need to wait till we get one into the shop.

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Dialed?

18. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    My thoughts on the tone control... I do quite a bit of tapping and my normal tone(finger) is not really a bright one. I thought of getting the pedal to even out and make my tone brighter and even out some volume as I step on the pedal. So I am not gonna be using it aa an always on system.

19. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Meanin I had the sustain up to 4 o'clock on the comp. not literally all the way up, but pretty darn close. With the sustain up all the way, it cranks the input gain and starts to introduce some noise (not from the pedal tho, it's from all that gain boost that's happening. If u turn the vol on the bass off, pedal is quiet as a mouse)

Just not sure of this is really a good pedal for bass... Might not be.

20. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hey, are the earthquaker devices really all that?? Ive seen them in the past but never paid much attention to them. But lately, I have been seeing a lot of love for the company here on TB. Im just wondering how the quality is on some of them. If I were to grab a good, rich OD and or dist, which on e would you guys recommend? The monarch?? That Hummingbird look awesome! I know its a trem. I like those too :)

AlastairWatts likes this.