East Tennessee Talkbass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Holy crap, brother, Pea Ridge people in my family. I grew up in Atlanta but that was where we spent a lot of holidays and occasions. Been to the Saw Mill. Have family in Celina, Cookeville, Livingston, Bow KY. Graduated from Tn. Tech, small world. We're looking to get back that way in a couple years. Have a niece playing ball at Maryville. This world is getting smaller. Keep on!

Jeff Roller and JEDI BASS like this.
  2. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks!

Yeah Jeff, that Wishbass flat out KILLS all fretless basses. I think it even out mwahs my favorite Pedulla buzz basses! Someday, I’ll start on that one you gave me! Thanks again!

3. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    I've never played a wishbass. I've heard pretty mixed things on them. Maybe when things settle down we can do a GTG again! I'm hoping the phase I'm in of the vaccines will be ready next month.

Jeff Roller likes this.
  4. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I think it played better with the setup you gave me (original nut, bone saddle). I just had to have the ebony nut and saddle, so I hastily made them using the ones you made as a template.

First time I played it live, it was fine in position 1-5. But I knew it could be better.

Over the course of several hours, I painstakingly took everything down a little at a time, taking it apart, putting it back together, retuning, repeat.

You should play it now! The action is comparable to my Skjold and that's saying something!

MAXSPINRUN and JEDI BASS like this.
  5. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    The good thing about a Wishbass is you get a really funky, solid, sometimes playable piece of folk art for under 300-500 bucks. I played that very bass for years with zero modifications other than putting good strings on it.

The one I gave JJ actually plays pretty good, but I had already installed a real bridge and pickup on it before handing it off. It's heavier than a mother though, that's a lap bass, or if you're doing a show, heave it up for one fretless song per set.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  6. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I ain’t gonna lie... stung a bit when you undid my work. But, I totally get it! I did the same to Carl when I filed the nut slots on the bass he built me. And again, when I told him I was filing a few high frets on the one I just got that he modified. I’ll learn to not say things someday LOL!

A setup is very personal to the player and what I like, someone else won’t.

MAXSPINRUN and Jeff Roller like this.
  7. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    And yes! I wanna play it!

Jeff Roller likes this.
  8. Jeff, the Wishbass is off the charts! And I thought mine was nice :woot:. Also love the Cirrus. I did some work on my old Peavey Dyna Bass 5 and it now lives at church so I don't have to transport a bass back and forth. It plays well enough now that I look forward to playing it at church weekly.

JEDI BASS and Jeff Roller like this.
  9. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Pretty sure seeing yours finished was the inspiration to get mine done! Only fair, since you bought a Wish for yourself after playing mine at the first GTG!

iamoldschool and JEDI BASS like this.
  10. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Yea it does. I am dumbfounded that people are still playing out right now. No music is worth putting yourself and others at risk.

My Fiancé and I both had Covid back in August and it was no joke. If we weren't as healthy as we are then we would've been done for. Plus a guy here at work died from it. He was perfectly healthy when he found out, and was dead within a week.

Besides streaming shows my bands haven't played anywhere in over a year. We've used it as an opportunity to work on new material and other "admin" type of things that often get overlooked when you're always playing out.

I would hope that you and others would rethink about playing shows right now.

11. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Michael Vee likes this.
  12. Up on the hill, behind the trailer! Is it still called "Juanita's Pub" (Street view references)? I haven't been to the Pub but at least have been through Jamestown. That's a fur piece from Maryville!

Jeff Roller likes this.
  13. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I feel what you’re saying, being in the medical field and knowing of fellow medical workers that have died from treating Covid patients.

My band had a meeting before we decided to do any shows, discussed the risks, listened to every members concerns. We are currently in the middle of a 4 month hiatus, mostly due to virus numbers spiking. We decided that we would take the precautions that I mentioned a few comments back. I can assure you, knowing Clint and Jeff well, that they will take precautions that most of the bar patrons won’t be. And with or without a band, the patrons would be there doing their thing, right or wrong (wrong in my opinion).

So, personally I do not judge the bands playing shows any more than I would the bar tenders or servers at these venues. As long as Walmart and Food City (which is where my fiancé picked up the virus) are allowing people to violate their posted signs of “MUST WEAR MASKS”, and are allowing the stores to be packed regularly... I can’t see how anyone could say no way to a few band members from standing on a stage 6 or more feet from patrons.

Break a leg, Jeff!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Jeff Roller and iamoldschool like this.
  14. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    I had a chance to play the tractor bass, big red. Since it has 2 outputs in its current configuration, we ran it into these 2 rigs. The neck lipstick pup with that monster P has to be heard to be believed. The neck lipstick soloed has a very punchy tone very versatile bass! Can not emphasize it enough. Great idea JJ. DBEAEAAE-5222-40C7-9129-4775F405A0A5.jpeg 9213230A-33D1-41E2-A243-EF991265A01E.jpeg E616C2D7-DE96-461B-8B73-8849BC199DEA.jpeg

Jeff Roller likes this.
  15. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks Max! That rig of yours is amazing! That new Genzler cab lets you hear all of what a bass can do, unlike my vintage-y tweeterless Aggie cabs (which I love dearly)!

Jeff Roller and MAXSPINRUN like this.
  16. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    It was nice to hear them side by side with the super versatile Big Red bass. Different amps for sure, one not better than the other Just different spices that work!

JEDI BASS likes this.
  17. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Agree! I used to use 3-way cabs. In the end, we all sound like ourselves. The different cab’s sounds offer the base for what we can pull from our hands and strings, which is (in my opinion) the bulk of our tone.

I’ll let my east TN brethren know when Lowendlobster posts his review/compare/contrast YouTube clip. His Ric, Scheff, and Fender P side by sides will let me know how if I hit the mark. I’ll be shipping it to him soon.

18. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Hi Michael,
    Yes, the address comes up as Juanita's Pub, but AFAIK it's been shortened to "The Pub".
    Always a good crowd there, I figured it would be slow Saturday night as the plateau got way more snow than we did back home. But it was packed, as usual. We get a lot of requests at this joint and the dance floor stays full most of the night.

JEDI BASS and Michael Vee like this.
  19. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Evening of worship back up on Eagle Rock. So pretty!

20210207_161236.jpg 20210207_162224.jpg 20210207_162755.jpg 20210207_162801.jpg 20210207_162812.jpg

20. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Gold Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    How's everyone doing? Staying warm in East TN?

Received reports from my Nashville family all week about all the snow and ice; it's hit 19 here in Johnson City a couple of nights, but as you know nothing's been sticking up here and the roads have been fine. Not that there's much more than grocery pickup going on with my vehicles! What are y'all up to?

Jeff Roller likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021