East Tennessee Talkbass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Gold Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    I had an opportunity to study music overseas last year - the program would have started in September, and I was registered and paid up in February. We had started planning for it in November 2019, advertised our house as available for rent starting in June (after having some remodel work done to make it more rentable), stored furniture, started looking at apartments in London... half of the fun was going to be obtaining a 1 year visa to tool around Europe in between classes, and we had all kinds of plans. Another third of the fun was getting to play music with interesting, international creative types. The rest of the "fun" was obtaining a Masters degree, which has nothing to do with the way I earn money but I kind of want the sheepskin. :bookworm:

Then COVID. Got my money back and managed to get a one year postponement on my admission to the program. We work from home, and fortunately hadn't made any permanent changes with our client agreements/relationships, so the only tangible fallout from changing plans was that we had sold our freezer and I had to scramble to find a replacement. :D And spend the time to get our stuff back out of storage.

But the program I was looking at is still planning on doing classes via video, and holing up in an apartment in London the size of a postage stamp so I can take classes online, with limited, potentially risky travel besides, doesn't sound like my idea of a good time. So we're not going this fall, either. Kind of depressed about it, but keeping busy with work and a LOT of my own woodshedding and now I'm considering looking at options in the US for the schooling. We'll travel when it's safe. Unless my partner lands in an advanced degree program that she wants to do for 2022, we might just travel for the sake of travel when things settle. MANY countries seem to be really expanding their "digital nomad" visas. Everything we do is digital or via phone.

So there's my COVID story. Picked up a nice 5 string tuned E-C (then another) and I'm studying a bunch of Janek Gwizdala's stuff these days.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Staying busy Jeff. Mostly worship, River Oaks twice every Sunday and I'm helping a startup church get off the ground up at Eagle Rock Sunday afternoons.

I think there's a Clint Keeton gig this month later. We got an exercise bike, gonna try to shed some pandemic pounds and get out there playing more this year.

JEDI BASS and Jeff Elkins like this.
  3. Jeff Elkins

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    I hear you. A rowing machine was a Christmas present to ourselves. Corner of the office:
    IMG_20210221_103735853.jpg

JEDI BASS and Jeff Roller like this.
  4. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    More notes from Nashville: Temps down in the teens most every night last week and we were housebound for seven days. (I did sneak out once between the two snow storms to go to Kroger which is only a half mile away). It's rare that Nashville gets it worse than east TN, but that was the case. Fortunately, I had just visited my family in Knoxville right before it all hit.

5. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    My band Kategory Five is back at Ridge Runners this Saturday 2/27. I’ll be playing my heavily mod’d Lākland that I’ve lovingly nicknamed the Red B***h, and probably another Lākland.

I’ve been working on singing backup while playing.....not easy! But, I’m making progress.
    00D84E96-0CD0-45F8-A9EE-EFD2081F46CC.jpeg

6. Jeff Elkins

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Sweet! I'm not sure what I like more - the super-cool pickguard or that the pups are chrome.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  7. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks! All were my ideas. I’ve loved the look of CAR, w/red tort and rosewood for quite a while. Lakland’s CAR is one of the best reds I’ve seen. It’s got a matching headstock too.

MAXSPINRUN and Jeff Elkins like this.
  8. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    What a pretty day we had in the Smokies! Back to 100% rain and depression tomorrow......

Shot of the rig for Eagle Rock tonight. That's a very rare Peavey Cirrus 5 string bolt on neck that just played it's last gig stateside. I'm taking it apart tonight and sending the pieces to a friend overseas.
    20210221_143655.jpg

9. Still playing my Dyna Bass at church every Sunday. No gigs for the band since last October and we played that one as a trio. We are auditioning a keyboard player next Sunday instead of adding another guitar. I'm up to a dozen or so basses. Most recent gear action was adding an extension cab to my Mesa Walkabout. It had a 4ohm speaker and the Tech21 bass extension cabinet I bought had an 8ohm 100w speaker. I ordered two 400w 8ohm Mesa Subway speakers and put one in the Walkabout and the other in the Tech21 cabinet. Very happy with the results.:bassist:

10. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    That bass is stunning looks wise, not to mention the versatility of sound That bass can produce. Agree, those chrome pups give that bass an awesome look!

JEDI BASS likes this.
  11. I just noticed today that East Tennessee Talkbass turned ten years old this year! Jan. 25, 2011. Happy belated birthday, ETTB!

On that Tuesday evening in 2011, I was looking at the "Tennessee Bassist Club" thread, and they were talking up a GTG in Nashville. I thought, "I know there are a lot of us in Knoxville and east Tennessee and we might not want to drive all the way to Nashville to hang out."

I appreciate all you guys, those who I've met and those who I haven't yet. ETTB has been a lot of fun over the years, and it's helped a lot of us here to stay in touch with each other and come out and support each other at gigs. Some small amount of gear has changed hands, and some of us have done work on basses for each other. We did four GTGs, which were fun, and hopefully we'll get more up starting late this year or in 2022! - MVee

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  12. I have two developments to report in on. First is losing my chair in the church praise team earlier this month. The church is going through hard times financially and made the decision to go to piano-only. So no more guitar, bass and drums. Sad, but we knew it was coming. I was so thankful for being able to get out and play for them every Wednesday, all the way through the pandemic to this point.

Second, I'm actually playing an in-person musical next month! Grace Academy in Karns is doing Sound of Music on May 4-5, and we're in rehearsals now.

I'm sad about losing the church gig, but excited to be playing a theatre show. My last show was the same time last year, also at Grace just before the pandemic started. Not sure when any other theatre will get going again in the Knoxville area this year, hopefully this fall.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  13. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I've been asked to fill in tomorrow night with a couple of guys I've known for years. It's actually the original Soul Driver lineup, we haven't shared the stage in over ten years!

Anyone in the Crossville area, we start at 9 Central at Pappy's.

14. That's great, Jeff!

Jeff Roller likes this.
  15. It's good to hear from all of you. I'm thankful that many of us are finding opportunities to play and to serve!

Anybody else have something happening?

Jeff Elkins and Jeff Roller like this.
  16. Hello everybody! Long time, no type! Hope everyone is doing well. @Jeff Roller: Where is Pappy's ?

Michael Vee likes this.
  17. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Google Pappy's Place in Crossville TN, it's right off Genesis Rd.

This will be my first time there, don't know if it's a big or small place, but I was asked to bring my big rig......that doesn't necessarily means it's a big place right?.....:D

JEDI BASS likes this.
  18. Ok thanx. I was gonna try to come but a last minute gig fell in my lap. But I will check that place out. Give us a report on it.

Jeff Roller likes this.
  19. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Pretty chill place. Not as much dancing as I expected, but some. There was really bad fog up on the plateau, I think that kept a lot of folks home, but the 50-60 that were there stayed for every minute of it.

Patriotic place, before the music begins, everyone removes hats, hands placed on hearts, faces the American Flag and sings the national anthem.

Food looked really good, but I had eaten before I got there. Lots of big bad looking hombres in there, but all friendly and one dude bought everyone in the bar shots. We took requests and they tipped very heavily, so I can recommend the place. I think they would have enjoyed more country, but funnily enough, couldn't get enough AC/DC, so go figure.

BrickBatMansion and JEDI BASS like this.
  20. Awesome @Jeff Roller! Thank you so much. Sounds like our kind of place and we do the country too. What about p.a.? house or bring your own? Lights? Stage? Load in difficulty?

Jeff Roller likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021