East Tennessee Talkbass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    You told someone you lived in Colonial Heights, I used to go to Rock Heritage just off that exit when I lived in Kingsport!

2. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    What’s up everyone? I heard Colonial Heights. Thought someone was bad-mouthing me.

Plugged in my Genz which I don’t think I’ve fired up in about 7 years because in-ears and straight to FoH full time.

that said, DANG! I love the tone of that thing. Sounds great with the Ding and just as good with the MTD.

Hope everyone is doing great. I better go practice so no one gives me stink eye for pushing or pulling!

3. Long Live Genz-Benz! -- What a fun name for an amp company, too, much more so than "Genzler".

I also had the Streamliner 900 for a very brief time but dumbly sold it, to Bill (projectapollo) here. Wishing I kept it! Zoomie- if you ever decide to..

The Streamliner turned into my Shuttle 9.2 / 12T combo and 12T extension stack, which I still have. The original Genz combo came with a 6.2 head, but I sold that head to some other ETTB'er and bought the 9.2 to go in the cradle. Love the black 9.2 with the silver grill cloth of the combo. It's a bad-azz, medium sized combo, tons of power and sound, especially with the extension. Jeff Genzler said he used the premium Faital of that time in the 12T cabs.

My current profile pic is circa 2006, and has my first Genz-Benz head, the Neo-Pak 3.5. It's the one the Shuttles originated from. I miss that one too!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    MAXSPINRUN, Zoomie and JEDI BASS like this.
  4. Still gig my Genz Benz XB410T pushing it with Sansamp RBI and Crown. My backup is my trusty GBE750 though and I won't hesitate to switch to it on a whim. I have had thoughts of putting the Mesa Walkabout into gig duty as it currently lives at my drummer's house where we rehearse. Can't say I've ever been disappointed with my gig rig though.

Zoomie and Michael Vee like this.
  5. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    Speaking of Genz Benz, Mesa and Genzler, THIS WORKS! The Genzler BA cabs are the ultimate for me! 682FD176-28BD-48A8-B37A-4A12FCA22D42.jpeg

6. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Hi folks -

Well ... I have 3 ailing bass amps now. My GK700RB II and SVT3Pro already needed repair. I played a gig this Saturday night at the Open Chord and on the last song of the night smelled a strong electrical burning smell, touched the bass - no sound. Turned the volume knob and it came blasting out of there - so it worked for 5 more minutes but I fear something is amiss. GK1000.

There was a suggestion of an amp tech in Asheville that could look at these - I have a friend who is back and forth between Knoxville and Asheville monthly and could carry for me. Help?

Scott

7. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Sounds amazing!!

8. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    You could ask Jon Cooper. But, I think he sticks with just all tube amp repairs.

9. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Just got this back from Pat Wilkins. The man knows how to throw a clear coat finish!

A buddy from Russia was researching part supplies from ebay vendors near Meridian Mississippi and turned up 3 roughed in Walnut bodies with highly figured bubinga tops. The bolt on Cirrus line was very rare to start with, so finding these were like finding 61 Corvette in granny's barn...

Okay, maybe not a vette, but at minimum a 61 Ford Starliner, okay?

Anyway, my friend let me have pick of the litter, so here she is:

20210726_175603.jpg 20210726_175758.jpg
    And one with the loaded body. Stunning.....I now have a bass I can never sell due to the money invested, but why be different with any other bass I own, right JJ?
    20210726_180434.jpg

10. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Money comes and money goes... having unique basses is priceless!

MAXSPINRUN and Jeff Roller like this.
  11. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    And that bass body is GORGEOUS!!

MAXSPINRUN and Jeff Roller like this.
  12. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Let me try an alternate take - since I can't find anyone to repair the broken amps I already own, anyone here in East TN have a rackmountable GK or Ampeg they'd want to sell?

13. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I dont live in East TN, but travel there for work quite a bit. Now that the world is opening back up, I'm going to have to keep an eye on this page for gear....

Michael Vee and Jeff Elkins like this.
  14. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Gold Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    I use Recycled Sound Repair. They're located in Afton, TN. John helped me out with my GK combo several years ago (not warranty work). They've been around a while and they're good guys to deal with.

FB link: Log In or Sign Up to View

Michael Vee likes this.
  15. Welcome, Lamm! There is more than a bit of gear represented here.. If we successfully pull off an ETTB get-together this fall, you'll get to see a bit of it if it's a week/weekend you're here.

Lammchop93 likes this.
  16. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Not a GK or Ampeg, but everything you see in these pictures is for sale lol...

20210725_103940.jpg

20210725_103947.jpg

Michael Vee likes this.
  17. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Hi guys! For those not doing their own set ups, where are you taking them KPT JC area? I need someone that knows their trash and working with a Buzz Feiton compatible tuner to set intonation. None of my tuners can handle this and so was forewarned.

18. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Gold Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    I take all my complicated setups to @Thumpin_P , but I know nothing about the Feiton system. Not sure what's required.

Edit: Paul is in Limestone, IF he's set up to do this.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021 at 9:45 PM
  19. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    Unfortunately, no. I look forward to taking his class, but, I also don't use one of those tuners. Sorry I could not help, this time. Check in, with Recycled Sound, in Afton. Wait time is lengthy, but, excellent work!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021