1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebay assembly !

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by PJSim, Jul 17, 2012.

1. PJSim

PJSim

Jan 16, 2011
    Nidaros

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Where? I don't see one....;)

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    LOL jason

4. PJSim

PJSim

Jan 16, 2011
    Nidaros
    LOL I was trying to edit the post when I had to reboot and then I just forgot about the whole thing :bag:

So - I got a blacktop jazz body P1020172r. from the bay (http://stores.ebay.com/Custom-Guitar-Bodies-And-More?_fcid=154&_localstpos=&_sid=8371077&_stpos=&gbr=1 ) , a squier jag neck and I have started putting things together but there is a couple of issues.

1. There is no routing for grounding the bridge !!!
    What is the easiest way to do rout this ?

2. When I put the neck on there is a gap between neck and body P1020175a. .

Is there a good way to fix this or do I just have to live with it ?

Any help would be appreciated

PJ

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    1. Any decent hardware store should have a 3/16" by 12" drill bit. Just drill at an angle from the bridge position to the control cavity.

2. It is close enough that it looks like you could easily sand the neck heal to fit the pocket. Just take your time and check your progress often.

6. Davidmh

Davidmh

Jul 12, 2012
    Wales, UK
    From my very limited woodworking experience there is another way to get the neck fit snug.
    Mix epoxy with wood flour (or fine sawdust) of the same type as the body and line the pocket sides where the neck doesn't fit with a thin coating. Let it dry. Keep the neck well away from it until it dries. Then you can sand down until you have a good fit all around (which you want).

If you go this route please be aware that epoxy is nasty stuff to work with, and when mixed with wood flour is really hard to sand, so you may be better putting on a very thin coating, sanding and then applying a final coating. It will look much the same as the bare wood once a varnish or finish has been applied.

You've just hit one of the problems of buying an ebay neck.
    Not insurmountable though, by any means.

7. PJSim

PJSim

Jan 16, 2011
    Nidaros
    Actually the neck fits the pocket , its just that the holes dont align.
    Will the gap between neck and pocket have impact on the sound ?

Almost finished :

P1020174k.

the body is Northeastern Hard Rock and now I keep humming this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjDVEp7HVxk

PJ

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars

So with the neck screwed down, the screws are keeping it from seating completely in the pocket?

You could plug the holes with a hardwood dowel and re drill them.

9. Davidmh

Davidmh

Jul 12, 2012
    Wales, UK
    This is the way to go then - plug and redrill, making sure the neck is absolutely straight in line with the bridge.

10. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    I bought a similar body from the same seller, only mine is ash. I'm curious what pups and electronics you've installed.

The neck pocket on mine is just a bit tight for the Squire neck I intend to use so I haven't yet found if I have the same issue you're dealing with. This is a back-burner project so my progress will be slow.

It would be great if you could get some better pictures up so we could see more clearly what you've done with yours.

iJazz - Oddly, it never occurred to me that it was a Blacktop. I just thought it was cool.

11. PJSim

PJSim

Jan 16, 2011
    Nidaros
    @ iJazz : Pickups are belcat , Prewired Jazz-control plate 250k pots , cheap bridge ( though it has higer mass then my fender jag bridge ) Everthing from china. I went with a jag neck bc I really like jazz/jag necks .
    Apart from the neck gap ( 1mm or 3/64 inches ) I had trouble fitting the pups , they were too wide and there is a small gap ( 1/32 or so )between ea and dg pups . Dont know if its the pups or the routing.
    Apart from the missing bridgeroute the routing for the bridgepup wiring was placed in the "ear" part so the screw could cut the wires.

I dont know if its a exact copy of the blacktop . would be nice to know if a blacktop pickguard will fit...

Will try to get better pics but I'm a total noob about this

:bag:

12. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Have you had a chance to plug it in? I'm interested in the quality of the Belcats. I'm looking at potentially picking up one of their preamps in the near future.

Also, did you order the Belcats from a Chinese distributor? If so, how was the shipping time? I've seen quite a few Belcat products on eBay, but they're all shipping from China, which I'm a bit wary of.

13. PJSim

PJSim

Jan 16, 2011
    Nidaros
    I did a quick test before I got the bridge grounded , I dont have a p-pup bass to compare with at the moment but they sounded ok . Medium output , not bad not great . I got them from a chinese ebayer ( http://myworld.ebay.com.hk/purestore168?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1181 ) , about 2-3 weeks shipping to norway. I gave them a try because the belcat phaser I got earlier was decent ( also china ).

Nothing great about these products so if you are looking to upgrade something dont go there , but for the price I think they are ok.

PJ