1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eberhard Weber Question

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bassksun, May 9, 2010.

1. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Did a search but...

Can anyone point me to EW selected works? I've got all the Kate Bush stuff. But what would you consider his essentials?

Also, what bass did he play? Weird triangle looking thing.

Much Thanks

2. Can't tell you anything about that bass except IIRC it was a custom job. Colors of Chloe is a classic; my favorite is Yellow Fields. There may be a compilatin in the Rarum series on ECM.

3. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Most of his own albums are on amazon. I tried to buy them all and amazon couldnt get one of them, but still plenty to give you an idea of what he was about.

4. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks Folks. There's a grip of his work on ITunes.

5. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I think he has had a few basses. The three album set of his quartets (Yellow Fields, Silent Feet and Little Movements) is amazing. A few albums he plays acoustic double bass and 'cello.
    I couldn't play that way, but his music sets a certain mood from a certain time that really hits the spot some nights.
    A true innovator.

6. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Yes, quite right.

7. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Check out his recordings with Jan Garbarek

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Watercolors (Pat Metheny)
    Solstice (Ralph Towner, w/Jan Garbarek)
    Passengers (Gary Burton, w/Metheny and Steve Swallow)

Are just three of the sides not overtly under Weber's name that I've always enjoyed a lot.

Edit for added value: check out Intercontinental, a Joe Pass side with Weber on acoustic upright, for something completely different too.

9. billy ayers

billy ayers

Feb 1, 2009
    'The Following Morning' album is remarkable. i got it when it came out, and it's still on my monthly playlist... there's a very cool long semi-silence at the top, with the players rustling in the cavernous ECM aural environment, then the 1st track arrives with an awesome initial sustained chord, into EW's upright-electric... great, great album from start to finish.

10. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    EberhardĀ“s first EUB was a vastly modified Grazioso Arco resonet, made in Czechoslovakia ca 1960, an "almost look-alike" of the old Framus Triumph EUB. Then he played a bass custom made by German luthier Paul Lijsen. His current EUB is made by Israeli luthier Eyal Vodnizky. It has a semi-hollow body, and is fitted with Wilson pickups. All of EberhardĀ“s EUBs have a high C string.

Randy Ward likes this.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There is an ECM compilation - which is a good selection of solo recordings and work with Jan Garbarek.

I saw him play with the Garbarek quartet and in a way this is some of his most impressive work - in a European Jazz tradition - whereas the solo stuff is more arranged and has tended lately towards classical rather than Jazz..?

12. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Such cool glissando and ostinato. The man was a master!

13. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    As a long time Eberhard fan I have to add the recent Stages in a Long Journey, which I believe was recorded less than a year before his stroke. Beautifully arranged for orchestra + quintet(?) and recorded live. It's a pretty moving recording....

Big + for Silent Feet, Yellow Fields and The Following Morning.

14. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I listened to clips of "Stages" I was wowed...like its Orchestral Chamber Jazz Fusion. That is a good thing.

15. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    +1 for Stages of a Long Journey. Wonderful sound and ensemble playing. Eberhard Weber sounds great as always in every setting.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Crap, stroke? Any word on how he's doing?

17. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Little Movements is probably my favourite EW album but i love everything ive heard him on. Never heard any of the Kate Bush stuff ...i must do something about that. Saw him with Jan Garberek too what a combination.

18. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Houdini from The Dreaming. Thats what got my attention.

Iofflight likes this.
  19. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV