1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Mine have been fine for two months

Phyzzbin likes this.
  2. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Same. Must be the chemistry in my perspiration. Love the sound and cost of EBMM Slinkys, just won’t last and they die a horrible death for me.

3. craig0316

craig0316

Jul 3, 2017
    Damn you guys to bass hell! After reading all the great reviews I've pulled the trigger on a Dropped Copper 5H... I needed another bass like I need another hole in my head.... can I have a #?

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Don’t think we have numbers but you know the deal , pics please !
    :snaphappy::cool:

HD007 likes this.
  5. craig0316

craig0316

Jul 3, 2017
    As soon as I get it...its on its way...likely by the end of the week

HD007, lowdownthump and scottm like this.
  6. sundaybender

sundaybender

Oct 7, 2005
    Was it the tone or the feel (or both) that you didn't prefer about the Sunbeams? They are typically my go-to, but seem relatively low tension, and I wonder if they will feel like they have a fast enough attack for this 'Ray...

7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Too much going on up top. Sizzle. I’m not big on sizzle. I think it’s the stainless steel frets. The GHS bass Boomers are a little closer. Less sizzle. I don’t want dull thump. Just a nice middle ground.

sundaybender likes this.
  8. sundaybender

sundaybender

Oct 7, 2005
    Great feedback. I'm not big on sizzle myself, which is part of the reason I'm loving this Special so much. The top end is just so well tamed compared to my many previous Stingrays.

Thanks!

Stranger Danger and lowdownthump like this.
  9. maverick49

maverick49 Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Racing stripes strike again
    427D2643-AD16-4B97-A108-03475F046C3D.

Burwabit, Phyzzbin, scottm and 5 others like this.
  10. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Now that is sexy!

lowdownthump, maverick49 and HD007 like this.
  11. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    Could it be the current set up?
    But if the weight is the issue, best send it back before you bond with it perhaps?
    Good luck

12. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    Outstanding!

13. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    That is so crazy. I was literally just thinking about doing some black stripes on my stock pickguard too!

14. megaboogie

megaboogie

Jan 14, 2014
    DFW
    So I went to GC and played some SR specials yesterday.
    I've played specials before and been GASing hard for one but this time they had a NOS '16 stingray 4H maple fb so I was able to A/B it along with 2 specials: a 4HH maple fb and 5HH ebony fb.

They all sounded like a stingray but NOS SR 4H had noticeably more grunt and bite to it, perfect for rock and funk music. I was quite surprised how aggressive it sounded next to the specials.
    4HH special maple sounded more mellow in general but not in a negative way.
    The neck pu certainly had useable tones mixed with bridge or by itself while still unsure I would use the neck pu as much. Lack of space for slapping concerned me a bit but I think I will adapt.
    5HH special ebony was surprisingly more aggressive and modern sounding than the 4HH maple fb.
    I feel like these new stingrays are quite different one to the other. Last month I've played a 5H maple which I thought was way too mellow sounding, and a 4H ebony which sounded uninspiring. The ones I played yesterday were all great though.

The NOS SR 4H was for $1099 clearance. GC wouldn't go any lower but they were able to offer me some freebies so I bought it. It's in mint condition IIRC it's a vintage mint green GC special run for '16.
    I played it for hours yesterday and very happy with it, weighted at 8.9lbs not too bad for a pre-special SR.

And today I just ordered a 5HH in dropped copper maple fb from MF....
    I know I went too crazy but I just sold 5 guitars last month and had some money to burn.(guitar downsizing gone wrong...)
    MF don't list the weight on most of their instruments but I asked the sales rep and he said he would be able to notify the warehouse to pick the lightest out of them(they had 3) and it would take extra 1 day to ship out.
    Not sure if I can 100% believe they will follow it, but hope I get a light one.

15. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    What a great day- getting to A/B some basses, grabbing a sweet one on clearance AND ordering a Special! Things don’t get better than that!!

I’ve been downsizing guitars too which has fueled a 5HH purchase.

Congrats and be sure to post pics when you get the chance.

16. megaboogie

megaboogie

Jan 14, 2014
    DFW
    Thank you! Very happy I got the NOS 4H yesterday and also very excited about getting the 5HH special.
    I debated hard on the color, it was either the sparkle finishes with ebony fb or any of the ones with maple fb, but the dropped copper finish just grabbed me for some reason and I am partial to maple fb on bass although I liked the ebony board. I will def post pics on its arrival!

lowdownthump and Stranger Danger like this.
  17. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Well, I can’t argue with your selection since I have a copper Special 4HH. It’s a really nice color. More subtle than the swell sparkles but it has its own deep, sparkly hue in the right light.

I put a tortoise guard on mine (in avatar) though I like those racing stripes that just got posted!

18. megaboogie

megaboogie

Jan 14, 2014
    DFW
    If anyone is interested in a light weight SR 4H special with rosewood fb, Sweetwater has one under 8lbs at 7lbs 13oz. The lighest one I have come across!

20190211_094208.

19. megaboogie

megaboogie

Jan 14, 2014
    DFW
    One of the guitars I sold was a gold sparkle EBMM Majesty BFR. While it looked dazzling hot, it just looked too flashy on me.
    The 4HH I tried yesterday was a dropped copper and I really liked the color matched with maple fb.:)

20. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    That’s hot! And just begging for tort reform!

vates, HD007 and megaboogie like this.