1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    How did you do it?

2. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    What do y’all think of these pickguard patterns for Dropped Copper? Hot or Nah?

Attached Files:

3. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I still love my older StingRays. You’re right: More aggressive than the Specials.

megaboogie and lowdownthump like this.
  4. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... :wideyed::D

MascisMan and Stranger Danger like this.
  5. maverick49

maverick49 Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Very painfully. ;)
    I had bought some decals off Amazon awhile back. I took the guard off, taped the stripe down in position, and then followed the application instructions. For trimming, I used an exacto knife to cut to shape as close as possible. The hardest part is the pickup rounded areas. I then put it back on and VERY CAREFULLY trimmed a little further as needed. I had some tiny areas that I had to trim more than I wanted in order for it to stick properly, so I did use the tiny black sharpie to fill it in on the guard. Hope that helps?

Stranger Danger and lowdownthump like this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Really hard to say without seeing them on the actual bass.

Stranger Danger and HD007 like this.
  7. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    The fun thing about pickguards is you can change them with your mood (and a screwdriver). The rockets could be a boost (haha) for awhile.

lowdownthump and Stranger Danger like this.
  8. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I’m not crafty so it helps telling me I won’t be able to do it! Haha!

maverick49 likes this.
  9. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wow... that's insanely light. I'd dare to say it's too light! I have to believe it's gonna effect the tone at least a tiny bit, no?

megaboogie likes this.
  10. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    any change in weight or density will affect tone

11. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    A lot of us have 8 pounders. That's only 3 ounces lighter. The second pickup on mine probably weighs more than that so I'd say no. But I am not a believer in the heavier bass better tone theory at all. Someone else might have a different opinion.

12. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I don't want to get in a big debate about this but "affect tone" is a very broad phrase that doesn't really say anything. Each instrument has to be judged on its own merits. There are many things that "affect tone" way more than a few ounces. There are heavy basses that sound good and heavy basses that sound bad. There are light basses that sound good and light basses that sound bad. And each one of those might sound good or bad to me or bad or good to you. Blanket statements regarding weight and tone are not really provable or even helpful. If anything, this new series from EBMM shows that lighter is lighter. It doesn't mean that they don't sound as good as heavier Stingrays. They actually sound better to me. But that's simply my subjective opinion. Using objective data (weight) to draw subjective conclusions (tone) is not something that I think makes much sense.

13. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    IN other news:

Put some Super Slinky flatwounds on my bass today and I think we have a winner. A warning though: clean them very well before putting them on. Lots of gunk from the factory.

sundaybender likes this.
  14. I am interested in the dropped copper model.
    Haven’t had the chance to see one in person.
    The pictures I see on line, it looks more red than
    I would like.
    Are the pics misleading or a good representation?
    Thanks Glen

15. Treeman

Treeman

Sep 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    How did you clean them? I had lots of trouble with them. Even after steel wool and alcohol. My issue was more of a chalky/dry-ice kind of friction that didn’t seem like gunk though. So maybe it’s just a skin type and Houston humidity thing.

I’m all ears for any tricks of the trade. Really want them to work out.

16. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Usually I use Ernie Ball string wipes but I ran out of those and didn't have any rubbing alcohol either so I improvised. I took a wet paper towel and wiped them down thoroughly then dried them with a microfiber towel then dried them again with a thin t-shirt then put them on. I don't know if they will stay feeling good or get gunky. If they get gunky and end up needing a lot of maintenance to stay feeling right then I will get rid of them. Right now they are just right. If you want some strings that don't need all that maintenance and feel really good straight out then I'd recommend La Bella tapewounds.

17. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It's a dark coppery red color. It's not candy apple red but it's not orange either. I don't know how else to describe it other than to say it's a dark coppery red.

TzsGtNSjQDqXRxgZwLGjXA.

HD007 likes this.
  18. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    You're right. Couldn't be easier. P basses require a little more work but Stingrays and Jazz basses are a cinch!

HD007 likes this.
  19. maverick49

maverick49 Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Dropped copper vs “old” candy apple red
    41337E67-4333-40F4-9517-830CB91D81D4.

20. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    View attachment 3319427 Something old, something new. Something passive, something active. :)
    Both strung with GHS Precision Flats.

Attached Files:

Bevan777, mouthmw, HD007 and 2 others like this.