EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I feel that I have a best of both worlds scenario happening with stingrays these days
    3DB58A7E-B014-4A77-B7F0-7C4797EDA60B.jpeg

evilgus, Moonskunk, _Obra_ and 6 others like this.
  2. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Just confirms what my own ears heard from the 5-string HH basses I've had:

- they're thick sounding, much thicker than a jazz, but at a detriment. I found the HH, when in position 3, to have a good "bedroom" tone, but to get somewhat buried in a mix or my IEMs. Mids can definitely solve it, but for a two-pickup bass, I like a jazz better or even a bass with humbuckers in jazz positions. I always thought position 5 sounded closest to a P (where others seem to pick position 4), but in that video, it doesn't sound anything like a P - the jazz bass neck pickup sounds much closer to my ears.

- I like a StingRay to sound like a StingRay, just like I like a jazz to sound like jazz. For the StingRay, that means the big ol' humbucker in the sweetspot. It's perfection that way to me, no need in muddling with it, but I do understand the benefits others see in the HH model. When I had my HH models, I'd tinker with other positions, but always kept it on the bridge pickup. I found the differences in tone on a H model selector, much better as it gave me different flavors from the bridge pickup rather than different pickup combinations. I always found that varying my right had position on a H model was a better resolve than having another pickup to use.

- it confirms why, for me, I went back to playing jazz basses primarily. I love the StingRay tone, but the jazz nails everything I need it to. Out of all the StingRays I've had though - Specials, a first year '88, the ceramic 30th Anniversary version, alnico HH - my favorite is the one I currently have - an '06 USA SUB 5 with two-band pre. Just marvelous StingRay tone out of that one.

All this is certainly just IMHO.

3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I thought the B string on the Stingray was much better. The Jazz Bass in every other scenario had better clarity and note definition.
    I’m curious as to how you had the Stingray eq set , pick up selection , series or parallel.

I sold off my Stingray Special 5 HH. It didn’t do a Jazz Bass good enough for what I like to hear .
    I prefer my Special5 H , and leave the Jazz Bass tones to my Jazz basses.
    Your playing was very good btw.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    KaseOfBass and _Obra_ like this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    We just have been typing pretty much the same thing at the same time .;):thumbsup:

KaseOfBass likes this.
  5. Nice video! Somewhat to my surprise, I liked the Jazz better in every application except some of the slap stuff.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Question for the Musicman Stingray special owners. Probably asked before but: How does the special 4 (one pick up) compare to a tradition Stingray soundwise? Does the special still have the classic Stingray tone or is there a difference in sound? Maybe someone who owns both can shed a light? And one more question: does the reduced body weight has any effect on neckdive?

7. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    Check this link. I made a test recently ;)

8. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    haha. Just before you posted this I was watching that video and also the Lobster one. Good video.

From what I can judge from that video (and others) I hear a difference. The Stingray misses some of the classic Stingray tone, especially in the highs I miss something. Even when treble is down on both. The special sounds good and steady but with a little less character. Do you experience it that way also? Maybe when you play it yourself you feel it different? I love the new addition of the Special though. Especially the light weight and the rounded neck heel. But sound is more important to me.

_Obra_ likes this.
  9. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    See post #6237

10. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Thanks Obra.

Yes, without playing one in person I see what you mean. That was my impression too from watching videos. A good tone but tamed down and less characteristic although it still has the Stingray flavour.

mouthmw likes this.
  11. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    The same is true for the 5-string - the Special has stronger mids and a different treble frequency, so seems to cut through a loud mix better, but just doesn't sound as "sweet" or "funky" as the earlier models. (Less scooped.) Mine is an all-maple neck Special, though, so maybe the difference is less for darker boards.

Cheers,

EG

GonzoBfiddy likes this.
  12. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

I don't want to jump on either side of the debate because it's all quite subjective. But I can say that after listening to this excellent demo, I am quite happy with my ultimate choice!

_Obra_ likes this.
  13. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    GregC likes this.
  14. Treeman

Treeman

Sep 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    This may be a real shot-in-the-dark, but I thought I would drop this here before taking a different course of action:

I own an EBMM Stingray Special 4H in Classic Natural/Maple fretboard that I bought new in August 2018. It is very much still in like-new condition. I have never owned a 5-string bass, but lately I have been finding myself in situations where a low B string might be very useful. I've thus begun wishing I had the 5-string version of my Stingray Special.

I am curious if anyone here has a Special 5H and would be interested in working out a trade for my Special 4H? Ideally I am looking for one in the same Classic Natural; though I think those are harder to come by these days, thus I could potentially be pressured to open up to other options.

Please send me a direct message if interested!

15. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    My wife reminded me of this purple strap I have. The color goes very well with the yellow Stingray for some reason.
    PXL_20211007_215000334.jpg
    I didn't even think about it when I bought the bass.

16. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Swapped out the white guard for some Black Ice....plus changed the knobs and screws...pity about the bridge and tuners...

image1.jpeg

Wicked G, Paradilum, N4860 and 2 others like this.
  17. Taustin Powers

Taustin Powers Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    That's a pretty slick pickguard, looks great!

But yeah, you need a black bridge with that. :)

evilgus likes this.
  18. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I now have a nice pair:) 2018 Special and my original 1996.

FF22676F-7AA7-4504-A7C9-8B140463CDA2.jpeg

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021