EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm actually not in the Stingray Special Club right now, although I am in the Stingray Club and Stingray 5 Club. I just don't have a Special. At least not yet.

But these and similar posts are gotten me considering one. Since my basement jam session started back up early this year and my band has finally started rehearsing again, I've made it a point to start using all of my basses just to give them all some playing time. My Stingray 5 HH has always been my #1, but after rotating regularly through them all for a several months, I'm more convinced than ever that I'm just a Stingray guy.

So I've begun wondering just how well a current Stingray Special would complement my current Stingray. It's a 2007, so it has the Sterling preamp and the ceramic Sterling 5 pickups (I think they finally started using 5-string Stingray pickups and the Stingray preamp in 2008) and can be a snarling and aggressive as I want it to be. I consider that a good thing. But I also love the feel of a Stingray 5. Of all the basses I've owned, the two SR5's I've owned are have been by far the most comfortable for me to play. So I started looking at the Specials, and wondering which of my current basses I've be willing to sell, after getting the impression that a Special might have a somewhat mellower and smoother tone than previous Stingrays.

So, to the people who've owned an older Stingray as well as a Special, and especially those who owned a ceramic Stingray like mine, would you say they sound different enough to have both in your collection. Yes, I know asking that on TB is a stupid question, of course it's worth it! But I was hoping for a more objective answer than the obvious one. :D

FeltTipPen likes this.
  2. Greg Pasquariello

Greg Pasquariello Commercial User

Jan 23, 2015
    Austin TX
    Headrest™ Amp Trays
    This thumb rest is the best thing I've ever added to a Stingray (actually, it's the only thing I've ever added to a Stingray, but it's still the best one).

upload_2021-9-28_11-23-31.png

3. Greg Pasquariello

Greg Pasquariello Commercial User

Jan 23, 2015
    Austin TX
    Headrest™ Amp Trays
    I completely agree with this. If I could more completely agree with this, I would do so.

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    It’s official
    I’m in the club
    My first “special”
    I can see what all the hubbub is about now.
    The sound is more open and clear but all stingray
    This thing kicks ass B847804C-FFE8-4E99-9287-65E17C0016C0.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Richard I, Nobis17, Gregc57 and 13 others like this.
  5. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I had a ceramic SR5 and had all intentions of keeping it with the Special. If the stingray is comfortable for you, the special will be even more comfortable.

I found that the special could essentially achieve everything my standard could do and then some, making the standard obsolete and not just tonally but ergonomically as well.

EBMM really did stay true to the stingray while bringing it forward into the realm of modern basses.

The special feels better, plays better, sounds better, and looks better IMO. The SR5 was just living in a case, I never felt the urge to play it, and when I did I just wished it was the special.

Dasgre0g, FeltTipPen, Lesfunk and 4 others like this.
  6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I was afraid that would be the response I got. :laugh:

I'm going to have to go to the local Sam Ash and Guitar Center to check them out. My wife gave me money toward an acoustic guitar for Christmas and, while I was waiting for the Guitar Center salesman to ring me up, I was drooling over a Charcoal Sparkle SR 5HH that I didn't have time to play. That was 8 months ago, so it might be gone by now.

Honestly, for as much as I love my current Stingray, it's hard to imagine a Special making me forget all about it, but that sounds like a chance worth taking. The hard part will be deciding which two of my current basses that would be comparable trades would be the one to go. I really don't want to get rid of either (an L-2500 and a Precision V) but, if I don't sacrifice one of them, then I'll probably have to wait 3-5 years until I retire and buy it as a gift to myself.

Or maybe I can find someone who has one in a finish I want who is selling theirs. :D

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

7. I am so following your journey as we both have ceramic SR5HHs and I am GASing for a Special!

Lukasonbass and lowdownthump like this.
  8. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Ha! Two addicts walking into a bunch of enablers ... what's the worst that can happen in this scenario? :laugh:

9. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Sweeeeeeeeet! :drool:

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    To me personally, the new Specials are too tamed down, they lost a lot of tonal character IMO. I haven't heard one Stingray Special where I liked the tone (especially in the band mix, or simple Youtube covers even) better than the older versions (both 3 and 2 band). It reminds me of the time I had Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup installed. I hated it in the rock band mix. Hated the softer, mushy, tamed down tone I got. I put the stock Stingray pickup back in, and all was good again. There it was - the aggression, the character, the cut through tone. Specials sound blander to me, like that Nordy. But that's just my opinion, a lot of people prefer them, and prefer the tamer tone. I've seen here on TB people who weren't into Stingrays liking the new Specials. Makes sense to me, but I like Stingrays just fine :D

metron and lowdownthump like this.
  11. Must...not...click on the thread :laugh:

dave64o likes this.
  12. Your opinion is appreciated, as it is civilized and based on experience and we know that is not always seen in TB!
    I love the ceramic pickups on my SR5HH but really wanting a good test drive on a Special.
    And it is great that there are Stingrays for many tastes!

13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Well said. Everyone isn’t wanting a Stingray for a rock band mix. It’s nice to have options and different basses to fit different needs and desires.

FeltTipPen, mouthmw and _Obra_ like this.
  14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Agreed. I’d also add, if Specials were the only Stingray option available out there, I’d still go for it. I still prefer it to any other Stingray style bass (humbucker in “sweet spot”).

FeltTipPen and lowdownthump like this.
  15. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    I got new Special just recently, and I must say I like it. It is all I ever wanted from a StingRay but often couldn't found on a ''regular'' one. It is lighter, neck is more stable, no occasional dead E string or weak G string.

However, sometimes I do miss a specific sound of alnico or ceramic pickup from the old ones...it would be great to have both, but if I need to choose I would stick with the special.

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. This reflects what I hear in sample vids. As this is the Specials club I should say that certainly none of this diminishes what the Specials are. Outstanding basses with a different tone flavor. And about the best quality in mass production basses out there.

Credit to EBMM for proving so many great options for players. I’m going to explore those options a bit more :)

17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I still like those 2bans pre Ernie Ball Stingrays. I wouldn’t play a Special if it weren’t for those Paul Denman, Bernard Edwards, Louis Johnson , John Deacon tones. I just find them too big , necks too thick for my small female frame and hands to handle. I also prefer 5 strings.

mouthmw and FeltTipPen like this.
  18. pertyman

pertyman

Jun 10, 2006
    Use a good set of headphones and tell what you think

LM Bass, GregC, Pet Sounds and 3 others like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021