EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I agree, where did you get that PG.. I’d like that pattern for my blacked out SR..

2. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    From the Music Man online store! Pickguard for StingRay Special H 5-String Bass

They don't freight outside of the U.S, though, so I had to get a friend to buy/post it to me.

P.S: It's not actually as dark as I was hoping, but the black screws and knobs helped quite a lot! The pics on the store do look a bit darker than the real thing...

EG

3. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    The perfect pair!

FirewalZ likes this.
  4. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Its interesting to compare them side by side tone wise.....my I put basslines pickup/pre in the 96 right when they came out years back, to correct the missing G string issue(pre-Internet), it solved the problem. I dont remember the tone changing much, maybe a bit more upper mids. Its defiantly an upper mids/treble forward bass, sizzly and bites, broken in Sunbeams tame it down. The Special is more even string to string, and more low mid forward, less sizzle and bite, but defiantly there if you dial it in, and unmistakably still a Stingray sound. The Special seems to have a more flexible pre-amp and i can get a few different tones from it.

5. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    OK great! How do they compare?
    Edit: just saw your post above....
    Anyway, nice pair and good luck playing them!

6. Paradilum

Paradilum Supporting Member

May 7, 2021
    Roanoke, VA
    I _really_ like the all-black pickguard on the left - no white border. I think I need one for my Charcoal sparkle. Where did you get it? Is that a matte-black or shiny?

7. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Its mate/flat black....i just bought it here through TB classified, it was already on the bass. The owner included the original, which was the standard shiny black with white boarder.

Paradilum likes this.
  8. Richard I

Richard I

Jun 22, 2017
    Italy
    I changed the strings on my Special 5H, from EB 45-130 (green ones) to DR Lo Rider Nickel (45-130, same set I use on my Classic 4). Great improvement, not only for tension (couldn't stand EB's 100 Low E and 80 A strings), but also for tone (more mids).

FirewalZ and evilgus like this.
  9. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try those too! I'm also pretty pissed off about the quality control on the Slinkies, I've had 2 bad E-strings out of 3 sets, recently....grrrrrrr!

EG

10. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    On a different subject, have we ever come to a consensus regarding the Taming of the stingray specials tone vs. the older models?

is it the pickup?
    The preamp?
    Both?

I’m curious because my special is the nicest fit and finish Ray I’ve had and plays wonderfully
    I just want that Grind and Punch back in my life and am considering a pickup switch out, something I would never have considered on previous models.
    I wouldn’t be interested in doing an entire electronics package switch, but a pickup? Maybe…

11. Richard I

Richard I

Jun 22, 2017
    Italy
    Yep, i like them a lot on my Classic 4...but I also dig Hi Beams, Fat Beams and regular Lo riders on my Stingray, I gotta admit. They just fit perfectly in that bass.

They're also a bit rougher under the fingers, which I prefer.

Yes, I noticed that slight difference you're referring to between the "older" models (latter ones, with alnico pu) and newer Specials at the time I purchased mine in store. I "A/B-ed" two of them.

Due to the (little) experience I gained in modifying and trying lots of different pickups and electronics, i think it might be the pu.
    SR5 with alnico pu were a bit different compared to the previous ones with ceramic pu - but I don't remember if they had the same, exact preamp.

12. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I’m a new SR Special owner and haven’t yet found what strings match the tone I’m after…it’s currently wearing my standard brand DR Sunbeams…I do like Lowriders as well, maybe illl try them next

13. Richard I

Richard I

Jun 22, 2017
    Italy
    Bear in mind that I do no more use steel strings, on all my bass...they lack of mids to me, but I like and need mids. This is true for Lo Riders, too, "standard" ones are good but I prefer nickels.

Than, there's the tension question to face..which is equally important to me :)

14. Richard I

Richard I

Jun 22, 2017
    Italy
    (sorry for double posting)

I noticed that my SR5 Special has a dead straight neck (it doesn't give me issues, it's simply straight like an arrow, the type of neck that allows you to get ultra low action) with the TR being in fully loose position - it can only straighten, acting against bowing.

Those roasted necks are solid as rocks.

lowdownthump, Lukasonbass and Jim C like this.
  15. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I like Sunbeams on my SR

16. Taustin Powers

Taustin Powers Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    That actually varies. Of all my basses, the SRS4H with the roasted maple neck needs the most frequent truss rod adjustments, pretty much every time the weather changes a little.

17. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Ive had my special HH since February (or maybe March?) either way I gigged a TON with it all seasons and lots of outdoor gigs in New England, many on the ocean front on the hottest days of the year, still hasn’t needed even a slight adjustment.

LP Freak and lowdownthump like this.
  18. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I’ve only had my Special 4H a week, but the neck is pretty straight, doesn’t seem to move easily. I changed the strings it came with from stiff higher tension rounds(nor sure the brand), to Sunbeams, which are lower tension…it needed no adjustment.

lowdownthump likes this.
  19. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    The neck on my Special 5 seems stiff as can be. I assume that the ebony fingerboard can only be seen as a positive contribution to this

lowdownthump likes this.
  20. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    The neck on my Stingray Special HH also is straight as an arrow and seems pretty stiff as well. I've only had it for a few weeks, but the roasted necks on my SBMM Stingrays are also pretty solid. So no complaints here yet, knock on roasted wood.

Staccato and lowdownthump like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021