1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. vates

vates Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Happy New Year! Beautiful bass :)

lowdownthump likes this.
  2. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I seriously doubt that, and it's most likely just a standard "mass produced" pick of the best/worst. You just gotta find a good specimen. Since it's EBMM, it shouldn't be hard, but they're not all flawless. From the few EBMM Stingrays I've had, they were all nice, no doubt, but they all differed in how the saddle height transferred to string action (neck angle, no biggie). None of them buzzed though. Maybe they're churning out a bit more Specials than they did before since they're so popular, so there might be a bit more QC problems? I don't know, maybe not. Probably not. They certainly don't plop them out like Fender does, which definitely adds to QC problems with Fender.

3. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    My saddles seem a little high but my action is fine and I have i set up to my specs.

HD007 likes this.
  4. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    If you play one bass like I have since July, you can get to the point like I have that you don’t really even need to look down at your hands. The only time I’ll sneak a peek is if I’m making a big full octave jump. Even then I know pretty much where I need to be.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  5. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    I have some fret buzz I need to sort out. Seems to be mostly the E string, at the 5th fret I have a ton of noise, much more than normal - I play hard with a pick, and don't expect *low* noise, but this is very over the top despite having still a visible curve to the neck and not the lowest action at all. Not sure what to do, flatten the neck more and raise it a bit? Just raise the saddle a hair? I'll try find time to mess with it tonight.

HD007 likes this.
  6. I tried all of that with no results, leveling the frets helped on some strings but, for me it’s going to take an outside party to sort it out.

7. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    FD1AC4A0-1021-4D31-A411-A8EB274CFA5D.

Making new music with my SRS

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Uchoa, HD007, keto and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bass Urges

Bass Urges

Jul 30, 2017
    This is a long thread to read all the way but here we go!!

Hard to try a Stingray Special in my neck of the woods so I’m trying to get a handle on the tone/sound compared to older stingrays. Given the words “refined”, “broader” and “more rounded” have been used in this thread to describe the new Special, can someone tell me how the Special’s tone differs from an Old Smoothie? To me the Old Smoothie can be described in these terms too.

I get the difference in weight, 3 vs 2 band eq and different neck finish etc, but curious if anyone has both of these instruments to give a comparative opinion.

HD007 and Pet Sounds like this.
  9. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    There's been a leaning towards "vintage" tones on electric, and acoustic instruments, as well as vocals in popular music, going back about 15 years.

The impression that I've got, is that EBMM has tried fighting that trend, with the likes of the Axis, and the Big Al, but they don't sell in large enough volumes to sustain the line : "modern", or "cutting edge" aren't widely popular.

Stingrays sound decidedly "modern", when compared to popular classic Fender tones (that was kind of the point, at the time), and that seemed to have impacted the volume of sales over the last decade.

It seemed that EBMM were trying to recover some of those losses, by tapping in to the "vintage" tone market, with their passive offerings - the Cutlass, and the Caprice (as well as Old Smoothie).

Perhaps because of insufficient market awareness of the Cutlass, and Caprice, or because it seems that when people think EBMM, they think Stingray (which seemed to seal the Sabre's fate), those passive basses never managed to sell in sufficient volumes.

That really left EBMM in a situation where they're associated with a single iconic bass guitar, and a market that craves "vintage" tones.

I'm fairly confident that if the Cutlass, and Caprice had been sold as well as they should have, the 2018 Stingray would not have had the pre-amp re-voiced - I think it would have had the weight, and playability upgrades, but that's all.

To my ear, the 2018 Special still sounds like a Stingray (in that a 3 band Stingray sounds like a Stingray, albeit with a different voicing to that of a 2 band Stingray) it just sounds like a Stingray with flats / worn in rounds, played through an old tube amp.

"Vintage" tone goal achieved.

Treeman, bassomane, HD007 and 5 others like this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Owning the 2 basses in my avatar , I agree with this . I’d say the Special has an overall warmer , more organic tone than the Old Smoothie and 2 band Stingrays. Yet it still sounds like a Stingray. Get the HH model and you get some additional jazz, Pbass , Sabre, and Gibson SG bass like tones . Definitely not one trick pony. Very versatile basses.

HD007, Bass Urges and StrangerDanger like this.
  11. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Where do you live?

12. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton

I traded my Old Smoothie for my 4HH Special....mostly due to weight, I'm somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2 lbs down. The neck is slightly slimmer/different profile on the Special. Sound wise, there is less grind due to more headroom of the 18v preamp. And, with 2 pups and 5 positions, there's a lot more diversity available. I prefer a fatter tone than the typical tone I could get with the Smoothie, so I'm not back on bridge only on the Special much. The both pups and neck only tones are stellar. But bridge only vs bridge only on the 2 basses, I would say very close but again less grind for the Special. I sorta miss the grind, but I don't miss the weight, love the feel, and really like the extras with 2 pups and 5 positions. The 3 band EQ is also very very powerful but smooth. That said, I run it mostly very close to flat.

13. Bass Urges

Bass Urges

Jul 30, 2017
    In southern Australia. The Specials haven’t found their way down here in stores yet unless specifically ordered. They will get here at some point over the next 12 -18 months I’m told, but the exchange rate is killing us at the moment too, so they’ll be ridiculously expensive. I won’t buy one untested at the quoted order price. I own a few MM basses - 6 actually - so I’ll be patient and keep enjoying my current crop.

Thanks for the few replies above too. Love the passion!

14. thumbs&fingers

thumbs&fingers Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Illinois
    I would describe the specials as having a more “musical” range. Hard pressed to find a harsh tone when flipping switches and dialing. This is a trend in a lot of new bass onboard pres and outboard amps. It’s a trend I like, never had a use in the old days for all the extreme settings and always hated the limited “sweet spot” of where a sound was offered. In fact always hated stingrays when I played them, loved that recorded tone on albums but never could fully get there. The specials make it easy to get there and can cop jazz, pj, and Gibson ebo tone too. I don’t see any downside to the new design in my opinion. Neck is buttery smooth and weight is low.......EBMM got their *%+! Together on this one

15. I'm in Melbourne. Ordered my charging green SR5H at Bass Centre and had it delivered in less than 6 months.

HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  16. Bass Urges

Bass Urges

Jul 30, 2017
    You’re the one! I was in there about a month ago and they said they’d ordered one in specially for a local punter. Congratulations and hope you’re enjoying it!

I’m happy to wait and try before I buy.

HD007, Jughead6 and lowdownthump like this.
  17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Perhaps a meeting is at hand?:bassist:

StrangerDanger and Jughead6 like this.
  18. You're welcome to PM me if you want to try mine.

StrangerDanger and lowdownthump like this.
  19. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    I’d say that’s the way to do it.

lowdownthump likes this.
  20. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Agreed. Ibanez preamps for example always have about an 1/8” of actual useable room on the knobs. With this bass I can crank to my hearts desire.