1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    I have both basses, a Special and a Smoothie. Up until last week, my Smoothie was up for sale, but having recently strung them both with identical strings, at the same time, I’ve seen the light and can’t even begin to think about getting rid of it right now!

They are soooooo different, yet both so Stingray... if that makes sense?

For me, the Smoothie lets the notes breath more, particularly in the treble strings. Partly due to feeling like it has less tension, but really i think its due to the nature of the pickup. It has a more open tone that is reminiscent of a 2 band EQ, though with more dynamic range imo due to the specially designed preamp. I actually find the Smoothie to be more organic. The Special is epic, much more focussed, way more authority and an all round stronger signal with tons of tone versatility. It’s a new tonal flavour for the Ray, given it’s history, but it suits these times and they knocked it out of the park with this redesign, including the ergonomics. That said, I’m sure the Special’s tone isn’t for everyone in comparison to older models, and vice verse. I played both with a mate of mine whose a drummer, he prefered the Smoothie. I loved both for different reasons :)

Hope that helps, though subjective opinions of tone using unstandardised vocabulary isn’t easy for us all!!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. Bass Urges

Bass Urges

Jul 30, 2017
    Thanks Jughead6, that’s really kind of you but I’ll be chasing a four stringer and most likely a HH. Thanks sincerely for the offer but I’m honestly happy to be patient. I’ve only had my Old Smoothie for about 6 months and still loving getting to know it still. I’m not in a rush and will keep an eye on the Bass Centre site. They are great guys to deal with.

lowdownthump and Jughead6 like this.
  3. megaboogie

megaboogie

Jan 14, 2014
    DFW
    Whats the average weight of a special 5 string?
    Seems like the light ones are right at 8lbs and then I see some heavy ones at 10lbs too.
    Who owns the lightest SR5?

4. Average weight is quoted on EBMM website: 9lb 2oz. Mine is less than 9lb.

megaboogie likes this.
  5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    There does seem to be a higher amount of variation in weight than would be expected. Maybe roasting the bodies would help?

megaboogie likes this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    My 5HH weighs 9.4 due to extra pickup and heavier aqua sparkle finish . Still a great weight for me.
    Lightest 5 string I’ve owned.

megaboogie likes this.
  7. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Doubt I have the lightest, but it’s pretty light at 8 lbs 5.7 oz (or 8.36 lbs).

E2F7BAA5-E77E-472D-8C15-4520C68DEA30.

megaboogie likes this.
  8. Fro68

Fro68

Nov 22, 2018
    My 5HH weighs 8.6#.

megaboogie likes this.
  9. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    My 4HH is the same, about the heaviest I've heard of but it's not a problem for me. That said, my L2K is still my #1 at this point. But that's for tonal + playability concerns, not weight (L2K 2 lbs less), I still haven't fully adapted to the neck pup position vis a vis my picking style.

I did get a LOT less buzz on the low E (actually, kept in D and dropped to C for a few tunes) just by raising the saddle a little, still way withing playable range.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    HD007 and megaboogie like this.
  10. Bevan777

Bevan777

Jan 7, 2019
    Hello folks, new member here.

I’m a picked up a beautiful black/maple special in December. Here are some pics.

It’s a lovely bass and I want to love it, however I’m having some issues with the neck, and I’m about to go back to the store but I wanted get opinions from you folks first...

I’ve been tinkering with bass setups for a good few years (been playing for 25) and I’ve owned 3 Stingrays and one Sterling in the past, so I’m pretty familiar with them.

I just can’t seem to get a decent low action without a lot of buzz on the lower (and higher) frets.

I know the obvious answer is to give the neck some relief, but the amount of relief required to minimise the lower fret buzz is pretty high, so this means lowering the saddles to get it back to a reasonably low action, but this low saddle height cases most strings to buzz and fret out at around the 19th fret.

So if I continue tweaking to find a happy medium, the best I can get is:
    - moderate buzz on Frets 1-5
    - no buzz on frets 5-15 (action actually feels quite high between 8-12)
    - moderate buzz again on frets 15-22.

Looking down the neck it looks like it slightly curves back around the 10th fret (but it’s hard to see really)

Thanks if you’ve bothered reading and following that, what do reckon? Should I take it back to the store or is there something you would try first?

Attached Files:

scottm, HD007, lowdownthump and 2 others like this.
  11. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lakeland, Florida
    You may need to work the nut slots. Sounds like you do indeed need more relief then you’d be able to deepen the nut slots and lower the sadles some. I had a similar condition albeit primarily on the B string and a little on the A string. My B string was about .070” at the first fret. I almost needed a friend to help me fret a low C.
    Check out the Jerzy Drozd web sit for some excellent reading on bass set ups.

12. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    That sucks. Mine is buzz free and slam bang low with almost zero relief. What strings are you using?

HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  13. Bevan777

Bevan777

Jan 7, 2019
    Thanks, interesting I’ve never had to adjust a nut, didn’t think of that, will look into it.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  14. Bevan777

Bevan777

Jan 7, 2019
    I initially put on DR Hi/beams 105s but was concerned that the low tension and the steel-on-steel might be making the buzz worse, so I switched to Ernie ball hybrid slinky’s, it was no better.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  15. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Yeah that’s what my guess was. Maybe you were going too light. I hope you can get it worked out.

Bevan777 and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  16. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    I actually think the nut on mine is cut a little too deep, and is the primary cause of the buzzing I have. I dig in pretty good, and am not sensitive to fret noise especially, but there’s a lot with low-ish action.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  17. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    I’m using 60-115 now but even with the stock strings I didn’t have any issues. I hate that y’all are having issues.

HD007 likes this.
  18. Bevan777

Bevan777

Jan 7, 2019
    Update on my neck issue, took it back to the store in the end, and their tech had a look at it. He just added a load of neck relief resulting in high action on the lower part of the neck but with still unplayabley buzzy high frets. Gave it a try but could see it was clearly an uneven neck.

They were very nice about it though and are ordering a replacement for me. I’m 100% confident that the replacement will be fine, I’m sure I’ve just been unlucky.

StrangerDanger and HD007 like this.
  19. KUETSUM

KUETSUM Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Hong Kong
    Anyone seen the yellow stingray special in real world yet?

lowdownthump likes this.
  20. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Good question- I’d love to see one!

lowdownthump likes this.