1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I saw one at NAMM last year. Was overwhelmed with all the new ‘Rays, so it didn’t get much of my attention.

2. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Jeez!.......There seems to be a lot of problems with the new Stingray Specials. For that amount of money it makes one think again!

wizard65 likes this.
  3. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't get that impression at all. From my experience, and the vast majority of opinions expressed here, owners are thrilled with their purchases.

CrazyDiamond likes this.
  4. I’m thrilled with mine but it’s going to Glaser guitars in Nashville for a plek and setup to correct the neck and buzzing issues

5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I PLEK'd mine too. Actually returned one that needed to be shimmed. Hope it's not something long term related to roasted necks.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. Bevan777

Bevan777

Jan 7, 2019
    I don’t get that impression, there only seems to be a couple of us who have had minor issues, 99% of posts are from people who are blown away.

lowdownthump and CrazyDiamond like this.
  7. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I’ve played a half dozen Specials. All were set up very well off the rack.

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Despite some buzzing, again raising the E string got rid of most of it, I will say this is the best built most complete package bass I have owned. The noise could just be my setup, I didn't really notice it until I dropped the tuning to D standard and then the low string to C - sorta expected some, but got more than I bargained for before raising it. There's still a little something something not 100% right, but it's very close and I can work with it as is without having to take it back.

StrangerDanger likes this.
  9. Stefan Cartmale

Stefan Cartmale

Jan 3, 2019
    She's been home now for a month and I can't believe how awesome she is! The best sounding and playing bass I've ever owned. G&L M2000 prototype and American Fretless Jazz in the background. This one has the number one position in the rack.
    IMG_20181221_091140. 15472467153815356847931878466269. 1547246626437778426581493536883. 1547246626437778426581493536883. 1547246757222147998697101419006.

10. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    That birdseye looks fantastic!

lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  11. Stefan Cartmale

Stefan Cartmale

Jan 3, 2019
    Right? Did I get lucky or what? There were only two of theses basses in Canada at the time I saw it and I fell in love immediately.

lowdownthump, HD007 and MascisMan like this.
  12. Stefan Cartmale

Stefan Cartmale

Jan 3, 2019
    I picked up an Aquasparkler too! No looking back, I love the bass.

lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  13. JaseOfBase

JaseOfBase

Jan 6, 2019
    776D8744-658F-480C-B19B-2BD25440569C.

New EBMM Stingray Special 4H owner here (attached a photograph from the Sweetwater photoshoot).

So far I'm absolutely loving it! The biggest change that I can tell right off the bat besides the weight is the shaved area where my forearm / wrist rests. Due to a busted shoulder I wasn't really able to comfortably pluck close to the bridge on my old Stingray but it's not an issue AT ALL with my new guitar.

One thing that I am noticing is that I get a strange undertone when I pluck my E and A string from about the 3rd to the 7th fret. It's almost like this "boing" jangling sound (think the sound that Tigger from Winnie the Pooh's tail makes when he jumps on it...I seriously can't describe it any other way, haha.) If I play closer to the bridge it becomes more apparent and it decreases as I move away to being almost inaudible when I play near and over the neck.

I'm going to play the hell out of these strings, it may very likely be a string issue. I'm coming from flat-wounds that have been on my old Stingray for about 2 years so it could be that I'm getting used to the strings but I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else can hear something similar with theirs.

I might be jumping ahead of myself with this one but I figured I would start the conversation in here if that is okay? If this should be it's own thread I totally understand but wanted to get the opinion of you SR Special OG's, haha. Someone tell me I'm crazy.

I'm glad to be here with everyone!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    petch, vates, Stevorebob and 3 others like this.
  14. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    What a neck! You really did luck out. These are such sweet machines. Congrats!

15. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Yay, two new basses in the club today!

We’re almost 1,600 posts in and go on all sorts of excursions. IMO this is the prefect place to ask about that curious noise.

I’m sure the more experienced sleuths will get to that soon

JaseOfBase likes this.
  16. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Yeaaahhh no.

Stefan Cartmale likes this.
  17. JaseOfBase

JaseOfBase

Jan 6, 2019

Super pumped to be here and contribute and read more from others as well!

18. Stefan Cartmale

Stefan Cartmale

Jan 3, 2019
    Happy to have found this thread. I searched Stingray Special Fan Club and ended up here. If I didn't find this page, I was going to start one just to express how much I love this new bass! I'm going to put it like this- I'm 49 years old, started playing when I was 16. Not once in all those years nor all the basses I have owned have I felt the need to publicly proclaim my love for a particular instrument. I love her+she sparkles. Thank you Ernie Ball.

19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    There are springs on the bridge that can rattle. Palm mute the strings and see if the sound goes away. I'd also check to see if the truss rod is in a loose, neutral position. If so, just a slight turn should give it some tension and relieve the sound.

lowdownthump and JaseOfBase like this.
  20. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    And that, my friends, is what it is all about.

I have never seen a new instrument that elicited these types of responses from people. I feel the same way and I am a very happy guy.

HD007 and lowdownthump like this.