Eden Amps No More?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WestyBassBob, May 11, 2021.

1. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    I had heard someone on here mention the brand was being wrapped up and that seems to have come to fruition. The Marshall website no longer has Eden listed as a brand. Bummer as they had a nice sound and I enjoy my TN226 and cab.

But at least I was able to snag it on a clearance price I guess.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I honestly had no idea they were still in business. Haven’t seen an Eden amp in maybe 10 years!

3. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Well there’s a reason for this!

scottm likes this.
  4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Really? I'm still using my Eden WTX-500 all the time. And it sounds great.

The departure of David Nordschow from the company was no doubt part of what got the brand (eventually) to the point of folding. He's got a new company now, and no doubt people who were Eden fans have gone to DNA or elsewhere.

edencab and Zoffy like this.
  5. A lot of people didn't like that amp but I think it wasn't bad at all. The 500W rating of all the amps that used that ICE output module was what turned people off as they never felt like a 500W amp in use.

IMG_3126.jpg

I still keep this in my gig box just in case my main amp goes down.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Sazazie_Spring likes this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Ther are plenty of examples of very successful amps (by a variety of manufacturers) using that power amp module that did not give players such impressions as well.

7. I know the Genz Shuttle 6.0 and Streamliner 600 products had the same module. Although they're not made anymore I'm sure they were successful products in that time. With that said, I had the same experience with the Shuttle 6.0 where despite it's 600W advertised rating it didn't seem to have as much "push" as my 400W RMS Eden WT400+ and fell just a tad short for non PA assisted gigs. The Eden WT-400 by comparison was always just enough to get me through "loud" gigs.

For me, I always felt a little underpowered with any of the ASX125 ICE powered heads. I tried most of them if not all.

I also had a ShuttleMax 9.2 and a Streamliner 900 and both had the power I needed and then some. Admittedly they felt louder than my 400W Eden head but they didn't have that same ICE module. I think they had the ASX250.

0012.jpg

78CDD506-1190-4D43-B2BE-D0E65E8E04E8.jpg

What other bass amps are successful that were made with the 125ASX ICE power module?

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  8. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Perhaps. But that company is in a whole different universe of price and customer. I think Marshall just decided they couldn't compete with Fender and Ampeg and the boutique brands so they just called it a day. Third place in the market is the absolute worst to be (and I don't even think they were that) You're either a leading brand or a boutique brand or you're shutting it down sooner than later.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    All I know is that all the links on the Eden Facebook page (newest from March 7) are all dead.

10. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Unsweetened, highly-caffeinated Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    It's kinda sad in a way, I had a lot of great memories hauling my rack mounted World Tour 800C in and out of jobs for almost a decade. One the punchiest, tightest heads I've had the pleasure to play. It never failed on me (ever) and when I sold it, it was because the days of weddings and corp events were behind me and a family just beginning. So I guess I'm sad to see the brand fade into history. David had a great thing going for a good long time.

31HZ, nbsipics and SJan3 like this.
  11. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Wow I just searched everywhere, including the Marshal website, and there are no links to anything Eden.

12. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    So sad. I was an Eden endorser back in the early 2000s. I loved the gear. I left in the aftermath of David Nordschow leaving, when there seemed to be a big hit in the level of customer service. But I've always had a soft spot for Eden, and have kept my old WT300, though I haven't used it in years. It's been a long time since I even considered buying Eden, but I hate that they're just gone. I guess part of me was hoping for some sort of renaissance for the brand, somehow.

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The voicings of all these amps are different, which makes direct comparisons challenging because the preamp's contribution can be as (or more) significant that the power amp itself (including gain staging and control tapers).

Other amps that were successful using this module are several of the GK and Fender models.

14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    GK MB500 and the GK MB combo series. No one has ever accused those units of not bringing enough to the party.

eriky4003, shoot-r, Dec1975 and 4 others like this.
  15. Zoffy

Zoffy

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    I have a WTX-500 and use it regularly in my band's practice studio - I like it a lot. I've had it about a year and have had no problems with it. I got it pretty inexpensively because the original owner said the fan was "broken." The fan is fine, it's just really loud, which seemed to be the consensus from other WTX owners/users. Once I start playing, however, the fan noise is not noticeable at all. But, yeah...nice little amp with a good sound!

16. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I had a feeling Eden was on the way out when I couldn't find the Glowplug tube pedal in stock anywhere in the US a few months ago. Fortunately there were (and still are) multiple Japanese sellers listing on eBay for the same price US buyers paid -- I got one from Japan that arrived safely within about the same shipping time as gear from the opposite US coast. Great pedal, by the way--due to its adjustable crossover and blend controls, it brings the harmonics or as much fuzz as you like from its 12ax7 tube without losing any low end.

17. Chain_Lightning

Chain_Lightning

Sep 8, 2014
    @ agedhorse, once again your clear & to the point comments make logical analysis . makes me think about basic principles covered in circuit analysis class I took many moons ago. look forward to any future inputs from you

agedhorse likes this.
  18. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I've always felt my WT-550 was a little "soft", it did "punch", but for certain situations this proved to be an advantage and I really like the overall sound of the WT-550 and it's tone shaping abilities.

19. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song!

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I always loved the David Eden gear. Back in the late 90's early 00' that was the sound I craved.
    I picked up a 2002 WT 800. Heavier than my cab but puts out power and tone I love. It honestly sits on my dresser and only comes out to play every once and awhile. My Epifani Ul 900 makes most of the gigs. Sad to hear the brand will fade away now but, it honestly did When David left.

20. Yess!!! Very true! I had both an MB500 and MB500 fusion and I agree they didn't exhibit the same perceived lack of power/punch. Tonally they were a little too mid forward for me but yeah, they had the ASX125 and rocked! I forgot about them...

Also, the Fender Rumble 500's seem to be well reviewed. I stand corrected!

lowendrv and agedhorse like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021