Eden EX112 neodymium speaker considerations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I picked up a used EX112 today on a whim, thinking I'd like to have something lighter & smaller than my Markbass 2x10.
    Well, they're the same weight, but at least the 1x12 is smaller.

However, I don't like its sound with overdrive, in comparison to the MB cab.

Maybe with a nice new neodymium speaker in there, it could be lighter & better...

EX112 | EDEN Amplification

ex112-1.png

add: What I don't like about the sound of OD on it is a sizzle I hear, maybe too much distortion.

add2: I'd like to be able to use it for guitar as well, which is what I've been doing with the Markbass 2x10 for over a year.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    How do you like the tone without distortion? The cab shouldn't really sizzle with a whizzer cone--they only reproduce up to maybe 6 or 7KHz (regardless of Eden's specs).

3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That "sizzle comment" surprises me as I have an EX110, and while I'm a clean player, sizzle or any other high end content attribute would never come to mind in describing you cab's little brother. I specifically bought the cab to use for light acoustic stuff where I wanted a more URB type of sound - focused in the lower and middle mids with a weaker top end and no boom.

I'm going to be absolutely no help in terms of what to suggest for a replacement speaker. However, is it possible that the cab/speaker itself is simply not up to producing "your tone" at higher volume with the EQ settings you're used to using with the MB 210? I'd pull some treble/upper mids out and see if that doesn't round out the tone a bit. Good luck!

4. Killed_by_Death

I'll have to investigate what the purpose of that extra cone is. It's quite big on the 12".

I tried that, but then it just sounds muffled.
    Maybe this just confirms that the Markbass cab is the one for me.

SJan3 likes this.
  5. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I tried that, but then it just sounds muffled.
    Maybe this just confirms that the Markbass cab is the one for me.[/QUOTE]

I find the MB cabs to be voiced differently enough that people tend have strong feelings for or against them. Seems like you may in fact be a strong vote in the "for" category.

As a data point (and admittedly maybe not one with the best ear) I've listened to a lot of, and played on some MB gear, and none of it sounded very Eden-like to me. Whizzer cone cabs are also a different beast in my experience and you either like that approach to low/mid/high transitions or it feels unnatural to you.

I hope you can find peace with the Eden because it's a nice little cab, but it sort of seems like it may not be your cup of tea. OBTW, I wouldn't fool around with modifying that whizzer cone piece. Look real close with a flashlight and you'll see it is attached as a separate piece in the voice coil area - I'm guessing you'd do some irreparable damage if you tried to modify it in some way.

SJan3 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

Every time I try it again, I think that I need to plan to take it back where I got it, LOL!
    Another 3 hour drive, but I'll probably save it for Monday.

S-Bigbottom and Al Kraft like this.
  7. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    To get what you want ,you actually need two of these.The sound is much fuller.

8. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I've heard a lot of folks say that those EX series 110's and 112's are exceptionally nice with 2 cabs, but IME with other cabs, a second one usually just gives me more of what I already have, not something different.

9. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I have a pair of EX110's - they do sound good as a pair - great mini rig! Get a second 112, then decide.

10. Killed_by_Death

I got the 1x12 to size down, so sizing up to two 1x12s isn't happening, LOL.

Not to mention, I can't help but think whatever I inherently don't like about the single 1x12 with be twice as bad with two of them.

SJan3 and Jeff Scott like this.
  11. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Dang - I get it, so as Elton John once said - then again, no.

12. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I use the Eminence Kappalite 3012LF in a similar-sized enclosure. It doesn't have a lot of top end on its own, but that probably translates into not much sizzle.

The Deltalite is theoretically another candidate, but it has a rising response through the upper midrange region and I'm not sure that would be a step in the right direction for you.

The Basslite 12 is another possibility, again strong upper mids, and more modest power handling than the other two.

If you want a solid low end, the Kappalite is hard to beat.

TomB, Al Kraft and Killed_by_Death like this.
  13. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Can we get some sound clips, what do you mean by sizzle?

14. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Over on a site called The Gear Page, there are guitarists who use the Deltalite II 2512.

In fact a couple years ago I was working on a cab that would be switchable between bass and guitar, and the Deltalite 12 was my front-runner, but I couldn't figure out how to adjust the bottom end (south of 100 Hz or so) between bass-friendly and guitar-friendly.

If you go ahead with the Deltalite, I'd be very much interested in hearing your assessment of whether the one cab can work for both bass and guitar. You might be able to tame the low end for guitar mode by stuffing the ports with open-cell foam, transforming it into a "leaky sealed box". I didn't try that, and in retrospect probably should have.

mbelue, wave rider, old spice and 2 others like this.
  15. That extra cone is adding the high frequency content (5KHz+). The "whizzer" cone is a reason I've not yet tried that cab as an extension cab for my Promethean, but maybe I will...

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Do you like it at least with clean bass and clean guitar?
    In case you do, a more surgical EQ tweak may be worth investigating.
    What do you use for overdrive? Does it come from pushing a guitar head's tube power section? If it doesn't*, there's the chance you only need to cut the right amount and slice of high highs for the offending sizzle not to reach the speaker when you choose a dirty sound.
    Do you have, or could you find a cheap EQ pedal, like a Behringer EQ700 or a Danelectro DJ-14C Fish & Chips, to place after the distorsion stage (pedal, or guitar head onboard distortion if there's an FX loop)? With the last, 6.4 kHz band fully down it might do the trick. I mean, such a pedal could be useful upstream as well, but as at least a troubleshooting device I'd try it post-dirt.

* (and even if it does if you look into a passive, speaker-level low pass filter)

azfatboy likes this.
  17. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Bring it over to my place, and I'll wring it out with my Rumble 350 head. We can compare the the sound quality with my V2 Rumble neo which has a custom tweaked Deltalite 12 stock.

18. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    The whizzer cone is replacing a separate tweeter. The whole idea behind using the whizzer cone is to give the cabinet better clarity. If I recall correctly that cab has an internal crossover built in. So cutting it off will lose the upper frequencies because the crossover won't be sending those higher frequencies to the main cone. Not sure about that though and I don't see any info on it on the Eden site.

In any case "carefully cutting off the whizzer cone" seems like an extreme measure for something that you hope "might work".

19. mikecd1

mikecd1

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    I played that cab and actually liked the sound although wasn't thrilled with what the whizzie added. You could call Al over at US Speaker and see if he has some recommendations based on the inner dimensions and that front slot port. Always liked the Eden designs and would love to try one of the new DNA cabs.

20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I just played through it, and my well considered advice is to burn it. Now I know I hate wizzers. :spit: