1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden Metro need to add another cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Richard_P_Harve, May 19, 2011.

1. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    Hello all - This is my first post but I have been reading and learning from all of you for years. I have a David Eden Metro Combo and an add-on 2x10XLT cabinet and this system has worked well for me for years. What I'm lacking however, even when I use the 2nd cab is a tight and focused B string sound off of my F-Bass. I have a chance to pick up a near new Genz Benz Uber Quad 1288T for very short money and wondered if any of the experts here could comment on how well it would match up to the speaker in the combo and if it would help me get a little more focus on my B.

Thanks all...

2. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    The Uber Quad sounds great when given some power. The cool thing is your Eden Metro will handle 2 ohms and put out 750 watts. The Quad will love that!!

The Quad is very 3 dimentional. The 12" covers your lows, the 8"s cover your mids and the tweeter covers your highs. When added to your 2x10 combo if you backed off the tweeter on the Quad and let the 10s and tweeter on the Eden cover your highs, you would have a great sounding rig the would suit your F-Bass 5er nicely!!

The Quad can cover the lows alot better than a 2x10 cab. If you put your Eden on top of the Quad you would have a nice 4 ohm load putting out 500 watts of power. That would thump and would handle most rooms without PA support!

I say go for it. The Genz Benz Uber cabs are really top notch!

3. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    Thanks for the reply there Joeykun, now if I can get this guy to sell it to me at a price I can afford I'll be rockin.....haha

signed - Mr. Lowballer ....love the website BTW

4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I used to have the same rig. The xlt has a low mid hump to the response that might not be the character of sound that you're looking for from your B string, though I never found the amp to be flabby or unclear. (I played 4's at the time).

Can you test it with the GB?

One random thing to try would be to stack the metro so that the 210's are vertically aligned. This would look like crap and not be so ergonomic, but a vertical line array of those ten inch speakers should make for a clearer more even tone, with less phase cancellation. I think that might make a difference in the low B, allowing you to boost the lows a bit more.

Maybe the first thing would be to re-do how you set your parametric EQ, maybe find a Parametric tutorial online and re-do things from the ground up, focusing on the sound from that B string. And that's free!

5. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    Thanks Standalone - I like the idea to fiddle a bit with the EQ, it's been a while since I have touched it much.

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Cool. That EQ is definitely powerful. Are you comfortable working with the parametric settings? I'm sure there are some good threads on getting the most out of them.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I had a Metro back when they were close with Curbow. A great amp. I used a 1x15 cab with it.

If you really want a tight low B I'd look at a 4x10. Perhaps the Ubber.

8. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    Yeah, the "Ubbers" rock! LOL
    The Ubers aren't too bad either!

9. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yeah but have you tried the Ubbbbers?:p:D

10. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    How much does the cost go up with each added "b"...? Well spent a couple of hours playing with the EQ yesterday during a large jam session I had. I think I got it sounding better but I just don't think those 10"s are going to be able to get me what I'm looking for. Is there an Uber in my future....?