Eden Terra Nova amps...Any Reports?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt holt, Mar 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. matt holt

matt holt Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
  2. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    They are very nice. They sound like a WT550 with the weight of a WTX500.

3. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Do you know what the footswitch Functions are? Is it the same as on the WT550?

4. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    You can use the foot switch for mute and Enhance if I recall right but will try to confirm it.

5. Just came up on my FB feed, keen to know more. At first didn't know the difference between these and the old line, and only have Bassmann1968's "They sound like a WT550 with the weight of a WTX500" comment above to go by.

Perhaps that's intentional, perhaps until the WTX are sold out, would be good so see a writeup on the differences.

Bassmann1968 - do you know if the WTX series is being phased out with the introduction of Terra Nova?

Edit - some answers already in the edenforums site

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Looks like Eden's playing "keeping up with the Joneses." I have to assume the WTX stuff is on the way out. The feature set and form factor of the Terra Nova (new ground) are more in line with the current "flavor of the week" amps.

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I hate to judge a book by its cover, but I can't get past the horrendous front panel layout, with buttons and knobs seemingly spewed at random, and the knobs just look too close together so that when you change one you'd be bumping the adjacent. With that kind of flawed user interface, I'd be very wary of any other engineering aspects.

Jazz Ad likes this.
  8. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    I actually thought the knob layout made a fair amount of sense-lows physically lower on the amp, and the treble physically higher, with the midrange frequency selectors directly over the controls they adjust for. I hear what you are saying about them being close together, though, it does seem like they have an awfull lot of unused space on the front panel, and could have spaced out the knobs a bit more. I also which they had put a compressor adjustment knob, it looks like the compressor is either all or nothing- although I suppose you could control it by varying the input gain vs the master.

9. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Also, does anybody know anything about the weight on the TN110 cabinets? I saw one spec sheet that said they were 38lbs, but they had one pic of a TN can and one of a D112xst, and since the 112s are 38lbs, i suspect that sight was mixing up its cab specs.

10. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    Specs of the TN series cabs are not published yet

11. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    I like the Terra look allot, I was pretty excited about these months ago. A light weight Eden with the Eden tone and parametric EQ would be fantastic!

However, 500W is small for anything over $700 IMO. 226W is a practice amp IMO.

bassically_eli and Munjibunga like this.
  12. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Yea, I guess I was hoping someone who may have had a chance to actually see them IRL might be able to give a ballpark idea on the weight

13. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    It looks like the TN501 is going for $650 street, so there is hope. I agree with you, though, my only major complaint about Eden is that their stuff is over-priced, especially thier amplifiers, which as far as I know are made in China. Nothing necessarily wrong with manufacturing in China, but it should allow them tho keep the price a little lower. I mean, Heck, Aguilar manufacturers the ToneHammer amps in New York City, which is possibly the most expensive place on earth to do manufacturing, and only charge $50 more for the 500w version of that, and it's a great amp. So if Eden is making its amps in China, it would seem like they should be able to offer them at a more competitive price. Don't get me wrong, I love thier stuff, I just don't get thier pricing model.

14. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    That ain't too bad. Though I would have to confirm three things:

1) it isn't made in pseudo slave conditions Foxconn-apple style
    2) it is a step above similar china competition like the ampeg that manages to fit 800W in a smaller class D amp for less
    3) it has a wonderful and quite DI, transformer isolated a plus

15. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

What does the "Enhance" knob actually do? Is it some sort of mid scooper? :(

16. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Also the sweep for the "low mid" control is awfully low. 30hz? In what world is that low mid? It would make a lot more sense for it to begin at 100hz and go up to 500 or 600hz.

GregC likes this.
  17. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    It bumps highs and lows and drops the mids.

18. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    In the bass world :)
    Give it a try.

19. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    I try to get more info.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021