1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effect to reduce string noise

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bemo, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Bemo

Bemo

Feb 17, 2019
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm working on a piece with a lot of position shifting and want an effect that will reduce the "zzzzzzzip" of my fingers on the strings as I move them.

Would this be a compressor/limiter? or just a plain compressor? or perhaps a gate of some sort.

What would be a good inexpensive effect to get and would I put it in front of the amp or in the loop?

I'm playing active P/Us into an Ampeg BA-210 with the scrambler circuit off if that makes any difference.

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    String zing is usually pretty high frequency. An adjustable LPF should help.

3. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    You may want to look at usings flat-wound strings, probably a cheap set to start out.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  4. This.

Alternative option: turn down your passive tone control (if you have one) until it is an acceptable level to your ears.

5. Eq pedal should do the trick. Finger noise is in the 1K-3K range.

6. A slice of pepperoni pizza before you play. ;)

Perhaps a cut around 1K-4k or higher?

7. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Or this...

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Work on your technique, rather than rely on a crutch. It's something that anyone who uses round wound strings has to work on.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  9. You won’t find a pedal or rack effect that will replace practice. The pitches of finger squeaking on strings are in the midrange and anything that filters out those pitches will negatively affect the bass’ sound. The only equipment solution is flatwound strings.

StargazerMP and Door County Bass like this.
  10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Pressure wound or ground wound strings will keep more of the brightness of round wounds but still decrease finger noise.

11. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I would focus on technique and consider trying flats, half-rounds or pressure-wounds rather than looking to mask the string noise, but I'm certainly no expert!

Outbush, ObsessiveArcher and StayLow like this.
  12. A compressor would likely do the opposite of what you want, and a gate wouldn't be able to cut out string noise without chopping off a ton of what you need. I have cut it out by hand in recordings when it's particularly annoying, but the only solution I've found for live string noise is to actually get your fingers up off the strings while you're moving around.

13. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Alexandria, LA
    Fuzz. String noise won't be an issue.

14. This is as good a place as any for me to say this....
    I like the string noise...
    I've had this discussion with other musicians, but I kinda like hearing those sounds between notes. Some players seem to leave more of it in on recordings. Phil Lesh for example.
    I like to call it " hearing their fingers".
    Maybe it's because I'm a bass player, but even to a layman it says " this is being played on a bass guitar ".
    I wouldn't want it to be so prominent as to be distracting....but without it, it might as well be a synth...right?

Hercules, Alex Bass, zenrad and 7 others like this.
  15. :D

Depending on the string, I stroke the plectrum across between 1/500th and 1/2000th of a second before making a move with the fretting hand. Not so good when I'm off with the timing, though.
    365px-Interference_of_two_waves.svg.png

16. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    You don't ever touch your tone knob, do you? Cuz if you do, that's your first mistake, you're not actually supposed to use that. Weird that they still put them on basses ... confusing.

17. What he said. Get a LPF and set it around 5kHz.

Rilence likes this.
  18. Work on your technique, rather than rely on a crutch. It's something that anyone who uses round wound strings has to work on.
    ^
    This

19. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    GHS PressureWound strings ..!

or Roto Monel 77

20. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Turning the tweeter off will help a ton.

Nunovsky likes this.