1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Big Muff (USA)...just not cutting it..any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Elemeninki, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Well I bought this quite a while ago but never really used it because I don't seem to get any useable tones out of it.

I've considered selling it and the only reason It's not sold yet is because the guy at the music store said it would be better to put it on ebay, so I did, but my internet bailed out on me when I was creating the listing. I took this as an omen to give it one last chance.

I'm saving up for a programmable sansamp at the moment and the proceeds of selling the muff would have gone towards it.

But now i'm considering using them together, if only I knew what to do with the muff. It sounds great for guitar but for bass I can't see what everyone loves about it.

So any ideas on how I can tease out the decent tone in it?
    (It sems really bad in my eys now because I tried the MXR fuzz....mmmm....mxr...)

2. The current USA Muff isn't the one most folks are talking about when they rave about it on bass.

Get what you can for it, and then invest in a bass big muff, which just came out. I guarantee you will find many more than decent tones in it!

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Mod it - or find someone to mod it. The NYC big muff is one of the easiest pedals out there to mod.

What is it that you do not like about it?

no bass?

no balls?

too distorted?

too smooth?

There are people on this forum who can really help. all you have to do is throw us a little more of your objectionable opinion about the unit.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Must be just your tone preferences. Many folks here like the BM, about as many don't care for it either. The search for your ideal bass fuzz is a long, arduous (and expensive) journey :smug:

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I had no luck with the thing. I sold mine and do not miss it at all. As always, YMMV.

6. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    Try "The Button" tube overdrive. I got one yesterday and have tried it on both my Mustang and my Sterling HS. It can go from a very light and smooth overdrive to a very heavy fuzz. It cost about $30 more than the Sansamp, but it is great! I also have a Bass-Drive Mosfet and TurboRAT. I've owned the Bass Big Muff, Little Big Muff, and RAT II as well as the various Boss, Zoom and Digitech multieffects' distoritions. "The Button" is so good that I'm considering selling my Bass-Drive and TurboRAT. But I won't. I run "The Button" into my Bass-Drive with the Bass-Drive set to Comp Cut. Excellent! FYI, the TurboRAT has a very gritty sound when run through the Bass-Drive.

I highly recommend this pedal, but here's the disclaimer. It gives me the sound I want on my Sterling HS and Mustang run through my GK rig. I think it sounds the best of all that I've tried and owned. (I've tried the EH English Muffin and Radial Tonebone Classic too.) Everyone has different tastes and you may not be as impressed with it as I am. TubeDepot will charge you a 20% restocking fee if you don't like it. I bought it on a chance that I would like it. And I'm happy. But just be aware of the restocking fee. I think that they could sell more of these if they would drop, or reduce, the restocking fee. It's the first botique pedal that I've bought directly from the manufacturer. Perhaps they all do this.

Here's a link to "The Button":

http://www.tubedepot.com/thebutton.html