1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX English Muff'n Uberthread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 14, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Too all you Muff Freaks:

Electro Harmonix has released a brand new pedal, the English Muff'n, which is a tube variant of the Muff fuzz!

Taking its roots from legendary British guitar amplifiers, the English Muff’n recreates their majesty and classic tone with spot-on accuracy. Rather than approximating these amps like "emulator" products on the market, the English Muff’n employs vacuum tubes, including a glovered 12AY7 cascading into a 12AX7, to produce true Brit-valve sounds that are full of richness and natural saturation. You’ll come to rely on this amp-in-a-box...a bloody masterpiece!

Coming soon! But not for the faint of Muff-heartedness at a whopping $230 apiece. But the self proclaimed King of Muff, just plunkered down the cash and I'll write a review when it comes in!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Actually the Tube Zipper is the only tube EHX pedal that DOESN'T use that case, LOL. The Zipper has 6 knobs. The Hot Tubes, Black Finger, Tube EQ, LPB 2ube and the Wiggler are all in the same case as the English Muff'n

EHX has a bad habit of using the same EXACT cases over and over. It cuts down on manufacturing costs though. Have you ever seen the Switchblade A/B switch? The thing uses a Small Stone box with the common input in place of the knob!

Yeah, somehow I managed to drop $240 on one of these, and I've never heard anything about them. Can't resist the paintjob though :)

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well here is my answer to my bass tube distortion...but I have a muff on the way already so this will be my step up...damn you EHX for making pedals I want!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, protoz, I just got in a new BMP before I found out about this one. So instead of sending them $230, I sent them $330. But I'm keeping the Big Muff, you can never have too many of those.

I should have my English Muff'n sometime near the middle to end of next week.

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Awesome can't wait to hear about it. What I would really like to hear is a comparison between the English Muff'n and Hot Tubes. I'm going to have to start robbing banks soon...

6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    True bypass on this puppy?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I imagine so, EHX has in all of their USA pedals recently AFAIK. I'll check when I get the sucker in about a week.

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    M'kay.

I am bit hesitant- I don't know if this will retain the lows or get that almost "tuba" sound (ala Cream) that the Pi can get.

But let us know :)

Ted

9. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes- I was saying that.

What I meant is that I hope this pedal does too, becasue from the description I am not sure that it will.

Ted

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    This is going to be an adventure for me. If it doesn't sound correct right off the bat, it means it's time for new tubes. Going to be hit or miss for a while, but hopefully not too long.

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, I don't know Tim- this may be voiced too much for guitar from it's description- kind of like playing bass through a Laney guitar halfstack or something. I hope it is as rich as a Muff though!

Ted

12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Not a problem bro- I do it everyday and twice on Sundays.

Ted

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Every major effect manufacturer does this: Boss, DOD/DigiTech, Zoom, Ibanez, Danelectro, Line 6, etc.

It was the original EHX effects way back 35 years ago that started the whole trend of a "family" of effects in the first place.

Makes sense to me, why reinvent the wheel? It's only a case for pete's sake.

14. Amen. People who whine about a pedal's looks confuse me. Honestly is most of your audience even going to see them? I would be just as happy if all of my pedals were one color and looked identical, with a plain label to let me know what they are. I just want them to sound good, looks mean nothing. The only thing where looks should play any sort of role is your axe and that is even minimum. Is it strange for me to be GASing so hard for all things EHX? Their pedals kick so much ass.

15. I actually like when my pedals look different. It keeps me from confusing what I'm stepping on. Instead of needing to read a label whilst playing I can just eye the board quickly and know immediatly where my pedal is based on it's shape/color.

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa

If it's wrong I don't wanna be right. I want to try them all! If they made a Wah with an expression pedal I'd be all over it too.

17. Well, if it's supposed to capture the "true" sound of a driven Brit amp (think Marshall?), it'll more than likely sound pretty tinny (read: no bass) with a bass guitar.

Anything i've played thru that gives that "Marshall tone" has been a screeching blast of midrange gain and bass loss.

It might however kick, but again at $230 she's sitting with some serious competition (Fulltone, PE, Black Cat, etc, etc) for the punters coin.

As a side note I really like the quirky (if a little weak) casings, even the fact that they take up far too much valuable pedalboard real estate...just wish they ditched that STUPID STUPID STUPID DC power socket! :meh:

18. I sure appeared angry in that last post. Didnt mean to be a dick guys, I was just sayin that looks on pedals arent that important to me at the moment. I can see how someone who uses a ton would care, as far as ease of changing sounds in a show. I hadnt thought of that

19. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    have you had a chance to use it yet....what do you think....please tell

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I haven't gotten it yet. Elderly was supposed to have it 2/17 so I placed the order on Valentines Day. They still haven't recieved the shipment, so I found a second dealer who stocks them. Should have it early next week.