1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electro-Harmonix Nano Battalion Bass Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Dec 3, 2018.

1. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    The more I hear about this pedal, the more I want to give it a go.
    Damn you ehx!!! Lol

2. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    I've had mine for about two weeks now and love it! I'm using as an always on o.d. at the beginning of my chain and it sounds perfect. Makes everything after it sound good as well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  3. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Does a TRS to DI out adapter exist?

4. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Yes, it does. It has to be one with a male DI out. I got mine from Thomann.

5. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    Anything like this would do.

Stan_da_man likes this.
  6. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Would love to hear soundclips if anyone has them!

7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    This also does the job.

2019-03-11.

8. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    That'll put a lot of stress on the output jack. Bad idea, IMO.

ccouch7 likes this.
  9. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    If you use a TRS > DI adapter, would it not be possible then to send the signal to your amp?

10. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    It only has one output. If you're using it the TRS>DI cable then you don't have another output available to use to your amp.
    If you want to use it as a preamp to FOH and to feed your amp at the same time, then it's best to use an external DI unit to send a balanced signal to the PA and a paralel unbalanced to the amp.

11. I just got one of these today... I thought it sounded awesome and everything was perfect. However, that was when I had it in front of my pedalboard.

Once I integrated it into the signal chain where I needed it, I found that the Nano Battalion causes all true bypass pedals that are ahead of it to pop loudly whenever their footswitch gets toggled. Does anyone else have this issue?

Edit - Signal chain as follows:
    Bass -> Mesa Boogie Stowaway buffer -> Turbo Tuner ST-300 mini -> Friedman Sir ComPre -> Digitech Dirty Robot -> MXR Phase 95 -> EBS the Drive (Nano Battalion was supposed to replace this) -> Digitech Luxe -> Broughton Always On HPF -> Omnicabsim Mini

When Nano Batallion is placed where the EBS the Drive was, engaging the turbo tuner, Sir Compre, Dirty Robot, or Phase 95 causes severe pops.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  12. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    May I ask did you ever resolve this issue?

13. I ended up returning it to the store for a refund (with a description of the issues) rather than sending it to EHX for warranty work right out of the gate.

It leaks DC out the input jack - I'm pretty positive it was defective, but with EHX pedals you never know - it could be one of the pedal's "quirks" that they'd consider normal and acceptable.

My confidence in EHX is not very high after my issue with the Synth 9 and Pedal Power 2 compatibility. It stalls on boot up, when used with a power supply like Pedal Power 2, even though it meets the specified power requirements. EHX support told me to send it in so they could apply a "fix" as they were aware of it and have "solved" that issue for 9 series pedals. I live in NYC but they don't accept dropoffs in person, so I spent money to mail my Synth 9 with a copy of the receipt (for warranty work) and a print out of the email exchange so that they know why it was sent there. They just sent the pedal back with no information on whether they even did anything, and it still has the same problems.

I also have a Holy Grail Nano that died while in sitting unused in a drawer. It was working before I stored it. 8 months later when I took it out to record with, it was dead. They want $25 to fix it since it's out of warranty, but I'm thinking it's probably just going to die again if they return it to spec rather than upgrade the known problem components with something more robust.

EHX does have great ideas, and the pedals usually sound awesome. But the QC just isn't there from my experience. Only 50% of the EHX pedals I have owned function as expected (Super Ego, Canyon, and Bass Mono Synth). Admittedly it's my experience is a small sample size, but it should not be this hit or miss.

It's a shame since I'm very intrigued by the feature set in the Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff and Tri Parallel Mixer, just too scared to take another gamble at this time.

merseymale and Nunovsky like this.
  14. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    It was not a "quirk" considered normal and acceptable, I remember seeing a (I'm assuming your) customer support email forwarded to me about this. Definitely a defective capacitor leading to the DC leakage at the input jack. Not a normal thing and I haven't heard anyone else report this. Would have been a very simple repair. Just FYI to anyone interested in this pedal.

tragicmagic, Nunovsky and Abe-of-Bass like this.
  15. Thanks Manny, that's good to know. Soundwise, I thought it was a great pedal. I asked the store I purchased from originally to test their stock to see if it behaved the same way (in which case I'd exchange instead), but my options were to return it for refund, or send it to EHX for warranty repair on a brand new pedal. Because of how my Synth 9 was handled, I felt going with the former was the safer choice.