1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electro-Harmonix Nano Battalion Bass Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I have to be honest and confess that I wasn't very much into the big box EHX Battalion, although it looks like a solid unit, but this smaller unit seems and sounds amazing and they managed to keep some of the best features available. I really liked how it sounds in this video, specially as an OD unit.
    EHX managed to launch two pedals in this season that are surely going to my GAS list.

Rojd, javi_bassist, hintz and 4 others like this.
  2. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    I think it's a winner. Shame about no DI out but everything else looks like something I would use.

Nunovsky likes this.
  3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    It has no DI but it says in the video that if you use a TRS cable you get a balanced line out signal to the PA.

wmmj and FaithNoMan like this.
  4. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    One positive and a feature more companies should incorporate!

Nunovsky likes this.
  5. Best sounding bass overdrive EHX has put out, in my opinion.

6. I'm keen to get one, honestly the big box battalion has too many features for me, i like simpler units, and in this case the lower price point that comes with it.

Rojd, loendmaestro and Nunovsky like this.
  7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You've read my mind...

GeoKinetic likes this.
  8. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I remember seeing a band in London Ontario, Bassist was using an old Rick, a GK 400rb head and one of the big box battalions. Still one of my favorite bass tones I have heard live.

zapped777 and mannysilvers like this.
  9. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    Sounds like my kind of tone :)

Rojd, javi_bassist and zapped777 like this.
  10. GAS has got me

zapped777 likes this.
  11. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    That drive sounds crisp! Just what I need
    Overdrive gas

Nunovsky likes this.
  12. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I love my Battalion. The only two things missing from this that make it less suitable for me are the scaled down mid versatility (I prefer control over the high-mid range around 750Hz; single mid control on the Nano at 500Hz), and the dual footswitches so you can turn the distortion on separately. For me, I think I'll keep my big Battaltion. If those differences don't bother you, then I'd highly recommend picking up a Nano. Looks (and sounds) great.

13. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I'm increasingly an EHX fan, especially of their simpler offerings so I'll be checking this one out.

The big box Battalion is very good. Versatile and great feature set especially for the price. Missing among the routing options is blending clean signal with EQ'd distortion though, which the new smaller box can do.

Good demo, Manny. The 9dB at 500Hz sounds surprisingly good. Thanks for using a common bass. It'd be nice to hear the pedal with a J bass too, and a bass with humbuckers.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  14. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Has anyone bought one of these?

15. Abe-of-Bass

Abe-of-Bass

May 4, 2016
    Oregon
    I bought one awhile back. I love it. It's an always on mild blended overdrive for me, but I do like the high gain tones it can produce too.

Nunovsky likes this.
  16. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Sound clips?

17. Just got mine and had a go with it. The pedal's versatility is definitely its greatest strength. That EQ switch gives you access to so many sounds on such a small unit. The drive has a really wide range, from basically clean to heavy overdrive/distortion. My favourite settings so far have been:

- switch in input mode, dime the EQ, drive and blend for Death From Above kind of stuff. I choose input mode because boosting the EQ drives the distortion circuit harder
    - switch on DIST mode, cutting out the bass and treble so you have only distorted mids blended with the clean
    - switch on clean, cutting everything but bass, blending with distorted signal to give overdriven bass with clean sub

The only kind of strange thing I've noticed so far is the EQ, i put the blend all the way to the left in the third setting to hear the sub signal, and I was expecting to only hear the notes at the lower end of the instrument, but I could still hear the notes across the entire fretboard, just without any treble, which isn't what I expected. Maybe I'm just used to the HPLP filter on the deluxe bass big muff.

Overall this is almost certainly the most versatile drive pedal that you can get, either in this size or in this price range. Great value, great range of tone.

Rojd and Nunovsky like this.
  18. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    Yes, the EQ on the Nano Battalion and the crossover controls on the Deluxe Bass Big Muff are pretty different. On the Big Muff you have a HPF and LPF knob which as you turn them completely cut all frequencies below/above a certain cutoff frequency. On the Nano Battalion the bass and treble knobs are shelving filters at a set frequency, as you turn the knob up or down it sets how much you are boosting or cutting frequencies below/above that set point, without majorly affecting other frequencies.

Glad you like the pedal :)

Nunovsky, Rojd and GeoKinetic like this.
  19. The value and quality you get with this pedal is insane. This could easily be 200 bucks from a boutique builder. I’m loving mine!!

wmmj, Nunovsky, Rojd and 3 others like this.
  20. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    And the thread would be 20+ pages long.

wmmj, IronLung1986 and zapped777 like this.