1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Elixir strings anyone? Here's what my brother told me...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    My brother's been playing six string guitar since 1991. He's pro level. He's tried pretty much everything but has been a D'Adarrio guy forever. The guy that does his setups informed my bro that he uses Elixir's now. My bro gave some push back and was like "Nah....can you just put D'Addario's on?" The guy was like sure - but I'll have to order them special unless you want to get them yourself and bring them to me. But then the guy hands my brother his Dave Mustaine signature guitar with Elixir's on it and says "Here, try this." My brother said he started noodling around and was like "Wow. Pretty impressive." And the guy said "Right? And those strings your playing right now are a little over a year old." That freaked my bro out (in a good way) so he had the guy string his guitar with Elixir's.

Anyway, I trust my brother's opinion and was now wanting to try them on my P/J bass. Anybody else run Elixir's? What are your thoughts? Nickel or steel do you play?

Thanks! :)

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You either love them or hate them. They feel weird having that thick coating but what I don't care for is their tone. And that tone sticks around for a while, which is the whole point.

Mister Boh, Basehead, hintz and 3 others like this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I'll admit it's been a long time. The few few sets I tried frayed, and looked fuzzy, and out of focus. At my age, anything out of focus had better BE out of focus!
    I don't know if that's been fixed, but it scared me off.

GCQ23, DEMS854, TinIndian and 2 others like this.
  4. Is it only the Polywebs that fray and leave bits of coating hanging off? I have Nanowebs on a couple of basses and a few guitars and I've never seen it.

5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    My SR805 came with them... I actually like the sound of them. Haven't had it (them) long enough to comment on their longevity, but I'll check back with you, tomorrow...

Bass Man Dan and Direct Box Rox like this.
  6. MattB88

MattB88 Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Alien Audio Basses, DR Strings, Warm Audio, Shaw Audio
    Yes the nano coating is so thin I’ve never seen them frey on bass strings.

7. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    How long ago? I think I remember seeing ads for their strings like 25 years ago. I see nowadays they have something called a "nanoweb" coating. The reason we even got on the subject is because I told my bro that my goto string are Ernie Ball Cobalts. I know the Cobalts are coated and then that's when he brought up Elixir's. He said he honestly thought he'd never use anything other then the D'Addario's but, who knows? To each his own. I see they are like $40 a set. $10 more then the Cobalt's.

8. MattB88

MattB88 Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Alien Audio Basses, DR Strings, Warm Audio, Shaw Audio
    The polyweb version has always been notorious for shedding. Nanos are rock solid against that.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  9. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I’ve been solely using Elixir strings now for five or six years and love them. I tried the stainless steel when they first came out, but like the nickel-plated steel better. I absolutely kill non-coated strings and the Elixirs will last me 4-6 months easy. They’re pricey, but worth it for me.

4dog, Direct Box Rox, pudge and 3 others like this.
  10. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Cobalt aren't coated...

the coating on the Elixir used to fray only untile 2012, when they changed the nanoweb formula. I use them on the guitar since 2001, and prior to 2012 they used to fray and die earlier.
    also, the plain strings were coated.

in 2012 they changed the coating and put an anti-rust treatment on plain strings. in the last 4 years I've had them on my two electric guitars, and they are still shiny and new. a couple of years ago they changed again, making the coating even thinner and long-lasting, and my acoustic guitar that has them is really happy.

on bass I never liked them, too scooped on the mids and poor on the lows... also they are tighter than other strings at the same gauge.

11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    IME elixir's are great on guitar not so much on bass.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    tuba_samurai likes this.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I bought a bass at GC and because it was new but the stings were dead i schmoozed a new set of strings as part of the deal. They were Elixer strings and after reading up i put them on. They were good enough but nothing to write home about. In less than a couple of weeks the E was dead as a doornail. I called Elixer and they said send them in and they’d replace the set. Had i paid for them i might have done it but i just took it as a cheap lesson learned and stuck with my D'Addario XL’s.

13. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    Elixirs are popular in guitar world, some like them, some don't. The coated strings produce less sharp tone (they also have three levels of coating: thick, medium and thin).

My first experience with Elixirs was Polywebs (thick coating) bronze on a 12-string. Did not like them, non-coated bronze strings had much more full and zingy sounding.

The second one was a week ago. I bought an archtop that had nickel Nanowebs (medium coating).
    The strings were really nice there, but currently replaced them with Dunlop Super Brights.
    Dunlops seem really right when plugged in. When not plugged in, Elixirs were better.

14. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I hate them. They sound dull to me.

Direct Box Rox and dcbassist5 like this.
  15. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    P.S. the difference between coated and non-coated strings somewhat reminds me on the difference between flats and rounds. that's not as literally, but coated strings are compressed, have less growl, zing and brightness than new non-coated roundwounds and the same is also true for flats.
    HTH

16. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    not a coating fan ... i use Nomad's String Fuel ... i wipe my strings ( elec gtr, acoustic gtr/bass , elec bass ) after playing ... keep things clean ... my strings last a long time ...

strings die and lose highs because of the dents incurred from the frets ..! those little flat spots mess with the strings harmonic content ...

craigie likes this.
  17. You're right, they last!
    I've had the same Elixir SS set on my Premium Ibanez for a year & they still sound the same.

Direct Box Rox and scuzzy like this.
  18. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    I dislike the way they feel and the way they sound.

Gizmot and Direct Box Rox like this.
  19. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I had SS elixirs on an active jazz and I still had to cut the treble to remove zing after 6 years. No lie.

Rivoli and Direct Box Rox like this.
  20. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    I use nanowebs on all my guitars and some basses. For bass they have a middle-of-the-road round sound and last for ages.

Direct Box Rox and hintz like this.