1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG 35DC vs 35TW

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AdriaanVB, Mar 18, 2013.

1. AdriaanVB

AdriaanVB

Mar 27, 2012
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out...

I'm search for a replacement humbucker for my Fleabass Streetbass, and I came to either one of these:

-EMG 35DC
    -EMG 35DC-X
    -EMG 35TW
    -EMG 35TW-X

Might as well put an Aguilar OBP-1 or 3 in it...

Now I was just wondering what the diffirence is sound-wise? (and I know the TW can be split to Single Coil, but I most likely won't use that.)

Any help would be welcome :)

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    If you aren't going to use the single coil function of the TW you should look into 35CS. It's the same as the TW but with humbucker mode only.

The DC is slightly brighter than the TW/CS. Personallly i like TW/CS best, but a DC as the neck position and a CS in the bridge position will give a nice compromise. Many people find the DC to be a bit too bright to be used at the bridge position.

I have no experience with the X-series, but have heard good things about them.

3. AdriaanVB

AdriaanVB

Mar 27, 2012
    Now that I've read some more on the 35CS I'm more leaning towards that...
    Though I'm not sure if it has the same 'punchy' sound as the 35DC?

(And if the "DC" is said to be 'too bright', can't you compansate that with rolling off the treble a bit?)

You see I'm trying to get closer to Modulus FB4/FU4 sound, what do you think?

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Both are tightly focused (I use them in two different basses, both bridge positions), but I think that the CS is a bit beefier - I hear a bit less in the low mids on the DC than I do on the CS.