1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eminence Legend BP102 speakers 10"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AwkwardLoudness, Oct 22, 2010.

1. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    Hi TalkBass

I'm thinking about trying out the BP102 speakers and have a couple related questions.

Specs are here:
    http://eminence.com/bassguitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=LEGENDBP102&speaker_size=10&SUB_CAT_ID=5

1) I assume that these speakers can only be rear mounted onto a baffle since they have a front sealing gasket...just like my Eminence 15" Kappa Pros. All of my 8x10 and 4x10 cabs are front loaders. Can any of you recommend an 8x10 or 4x10 cab for these speakers? The recommended enclosure size is:
    Sealed - 14-28 liters/ 0.5-1 cu.ft.
    Vented - 25.5-62 liters/ 0.9-2.2 cu.ft
    I like sealed cabs but I'll consider either option

2) Does anyone here have experience using these speakers? Comments?

Thank you much
    A'Loud

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    BP102s have high output in the low end but poor mids. I wouldn't use them without dedicated midrange drivers. Almost all drivers can be front mounted, you just have to use gasket tape.

3. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I was under the impression they were shooting for a '70's SVT 8x10 replacement driver with this one...

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Not at all, they're apples and oranges.

5. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    I agree. I wanted to pair a low range 8x10 or two 4x10s with a mid-heavy 8x10 using two separate amps.

You're probably thinking of the Legend B810 speakers

6. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Bill, do you have a recommendation/link for gasket tape?

Has me thinking...

Thanks,
    =wr=

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    www.speakerhardware.com sells it.

8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I put these into a Goliath II 4x10, and I am pretty pleased with them. Yes, they do lack a bit in the mids, but I can correct that with my EQ ( I don't run an amp "flat"). A lot of low end, thunderous; which is what I was looking for. I also wanted to make this cab a 4-ohm, and the BP102-4 helped me achieve that. Not too many 10's on the market allow for 4-ohm total load in a 4x10... You need either 4 or 16 ohm speakers for that, most come 8 ohm only.

I also put them in a Goliath II Jr. 2x10, but not so pleased with them in that cabinet. I might put some Deltalite II's in that one instead...

9. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Correct. My bad. Sorry for obfuscation. Thx for clarification.

10. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Dude yes man they are nice !! Dont jump the gun just yet.Ive used these in making some of my own cabs & it worked just great.
    Bills right about the mids but they are there & can be pulled out of the speaker with eq & into the mix.
    What ive noticed with the BP102 is that they can rumble houses, venues & people.Thunderous clear bass` very filling in a mix.I made 2` 410 cabs instead of the 8x10 so i can use 1 at a time & its cranks.
    I love`em. My bass cranks mids out so it blends in very nice with the BP102.I am never going to another cab, ive saved alot of money also !
    No tweeters no mid speakers just the BP.
    RnR

11. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
  12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's pretty much the same as thin weatherstripping. If the baffle (front panel you're mounting your speakers in) is carpet covered you won't even need it. The fur covering will act as a gasket. If it's bare/painted wood or tolex/vinyl or anything, get the gasket tape......or run down to your local home depot and get some small weatherstripping.

13. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    ^^^ Thanks!

=wr=

14. +1 on the mids. I dropped 4 BP102's into a Peavey 410TXV cab and it is a low end beast.

+1 on using the EQ to compensate. I've used it with an Ashdown EVO II and a Peavey preamp and QSC PLX1602 and I've been able to get the sounds I want out of it. I just wish it didn't weigh 105 pounds.

15. kayak

kayak

Sep 17, 2006
    What is a good mid, and a good crossover, to mate up with the BP102?

16. Alphalite 6a, Eminence does not make a suitable cross over at 250 Hz.

You could use the PXB2:500, but 500 Hz is too high for BP102.
    A better solution is bi-amping with an active crossover that offers much better protection for the 6" driver by using a steeper filter slope.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I used 4 BP102's in an 'average sized slot ported 4x10 box' for a while and they worked fine for solid deep lows. If you want something that's got a 'traditional' feel with slightly more wattage than old speakers but no real extension into the mids, it may be the speaker for you. I used mine mainly for reggae.

18. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You really need to add a dedicated mid driver to the BP102's. No amount of EQ-ing will bring out the upper mids and highs that simply do not exist with the BP102's on their own. No way, no how. Any speaker that can handle the lows well (and the BP102's do very well) will not do very well with upper mids and highs. That doesn't mean you can't EQ in some mid content to your liking...it only means you don't like upper mids and highs, because they are NOT there with that speaker.

[​IMG]

Doug Parent likes this.
  19. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    I have a pair of BP102's combined w/an Alpha 6 in a 5cu.ft. cab. As suggested by one of the experts who post here quite a bit, I low-passed the 102's second-order @700Hz, and high passed the Alpha third-order @400Hz. Got a one-night-stand gig coming up this coming Friday, and since this cab hasn't been gigged yet I decided to set it up and wring it out at a bit of war volume.. Nice full tone at a surprising amount of volume using one side of my DCM600. Obviously the real proof is onstage, but I fully expect this cab to perform quite well...

20. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    4 bp102's can produce more thunder than you could ever need. You will not need to boost low end to get a big warm tone. I loved my LDS legend loaded 410. It was a BEAST of a cabinet. I always had my amp set flat. It sounded beautiful. The person I sold it to thinks so, as well.