1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Envelope Filters

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AndybradleyUK, Sep 30, 2010.

1. AndybradleyUK

AndybradleyUK

Sep 30, 2010
    I'm looking to buy a cheap-ish but good envelope filter. I've looked at Boss and I'm not partcularly a fan... Can anyone help? I'm drawn towards the Ashdown at the moment.

2. For cheap and good, I like the DOD FX25. Range from about $50 - $100 used (discontinued pedal). There are always a few available on Ebay

Here is a vid of Flea rocking one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSa6_6A0u3E

3. whatiswhat

whatiswhat

Mar 11, 2010
    Joplin MO
    my ehx enigma should be here on friday. i cannot wait

4. If The Sorce Audio Bass Envelope filter is 1/100th as amazing the Source audio Tri mod wah then you won't be disappointed.

5. the most versatile in my opinion is AF9!!!

6. Good and cheapish means Micro Qtron or Bassballs to me.

Both have internal trimpots. Micro Qtron has one for max resonance that the factory doesn't recommend tweaking, but can help with volume spikes. The Bassballs has two, one to adjust the input to each filter. EHX gives their blessing on messing with these, many have modded the Bassballs to include these on the outside to make the pedal more tweakable.

They're both good sounding filters, but very different from one another. YMMV.

7. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Source Audio's Bass Envelope Filter is, in my opinion, the best you'll get for the price. 21 filter types in one pedal for only $119?
    Look it up on youtube. I think it'll grab your attention.

8. Bassballs:

I recommend trying this out before you buy it. I love mine. It has a really unique sound. However, others do not like it all.

I use mine Bass--> BOSS OC-3 Octaver --> BIG MUFF Pi --> BASSBALLS --> BOSS LM-2B LIMITER

Works great for me. I find filters sound better with some dirt in front it. It gives the filter something "to grab on to".

9. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I agree. I almost always use my SABEF and 3LeafGR with my PorkLoin active before them.

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    cheap - ehx qtron

good - mutron iii, lovetone meatball, chunk agent funk, moog lowpass

11. Another vote for the Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter. Ordering mine soon. The MXR is a good one too, but for the money, go Source Audio. You can tweak your funk more with the SA BEF.

12. the SABEF was cool!! too bad that SABEF not yet available in Indonesia.. should i get the digitech bass synth wah? is it good enough for envelope filter?

13. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    for cheap id recommend a s/h Q-tron +

14. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Just got my Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter for $120 (CDN) and it is fantastic, I have used several filters in the past and the options and features on this thing are amazing and the price is just a bonus!
    BTW it also has 2 phaser effects.

15. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I'm guessing you are uk based? If so, check out the for sale section on basschat.co.uk and pick up a q tron. There is a boomstick bottom feeder on there for £50 at the mo too

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021