1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eric Clapton Sets New International Record........Fly Fishing!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dtripoli, Jul 15, 2017.

1. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    American
    I think this happened last year but it's the first I heard of it.

Clapton was on fly-fishing trip in Iceland when he used those nimble fingers of his to snag a 28-pound,
    42.5 inch salmon, which was apparently the largest that had been caught in the country so
    far this season. He caught the enormous fish along the Vatnsdalsá River
    in the country’s northern region. It was during his afternoon expedition where the large fish apparently forced the older rocker to run over half a mile downriver to then spend the next two and a half hours reeling it in.

It was Gary Brooker, the founder of the rock band Procol Harum, who taught Clapton to fly fish.
    Brooker lived a few miles away from Clapton and explained to him that fly-fishing was different — it was a psychological victory over a trout or salmon.
    Presenting a fly to a fish without spooking it was most of the challenge. After teaching Clapton how to cast,
    Brooker knew he had hooked his friend on the sport.

Full Story Here

Clapton2.

bobba66, slobake, 12BitSlab and 7 others like this.
  2. 47th Street

47th Street Akk cent chew ate The Positive Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Great story!
    Thanks for sharing.

(Other stuff that old rock n rollers do well...
    Alice Cooper & Huey Lewis are both Scratch golfers.)

3. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Slow hand can work a fly!

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Love me some fly fishing although i'm not that good at it. I start out well enough but if i'm not careful and allow my focus to drift even a tiny bit, i go from fly casting to thrashing a bunch of water.

fly fishing is a lot like golf. Takes five minutes to learn the basic stroke, then a lifetime to perfect it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I bet that sucker tasted incredible.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office.

The part about having to run down the river to reel it in is the best part. Not THAT'S when fishing becomes a sport!

6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    He needs to drop a humbucker in that sucka

47th Street likes this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    An old saw, but so true. In fact, I last head this expression on the lake last night - butchered by a non-native speaker (Portuguese, I think) - he and his two buddies were pretty ripped and in a tippy little outrigger canoe unsuccessfully trying to catch largemouth bass. If they weren't so talkative, they might have landed something.

I kept my boat well away from that crew, but not far enough that I couldn't get to them quick if they swamped their rig. But even that would have been way better than a good day at the office!

zon6c-f and 47th Street like this.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Not to set you off or anything but:

;)

zon6c-f and 47th Street like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :D

I'm not set off at all. After that long of an adventure he deserves to swim off I suppose. Are you old enough to remember "Walter" from On Golden Pond? Kinda like that.

elgecko likes this.
  10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Yeah but...is bass fishing harder than guitar fishing? perhaps "easier to learn, harder to master"? What about scales? Enquiring minds and all that...
    Hiding the Cringe...

fhm555 likes this.
  11. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    Actually guitar fish are really easy to catch, all you need is something bright and flashy. It helps if it appears to sparkle when turned in a light source, but bright and flashy will be enough for all but the oldest, most wary of guitar fish. Easy as they are to catch, guitar fish will quickly become bored with a bait they've seen more than a few times and will ignore it after a couple of casts. Fortunately they also have the shortest attention span of all the musical fishes so the simple solution is to change baits after a few casts. The good news is their short attention span works to your advantage in that you only need a few lures used in rotation. By the time a lure comes up in rotation, it's like the guitar fish has never seen it.

Bass fish on the other hand are much more difficult to boat. While a wide selection of bait is not usually required, older lures in pristine condition, especially those with a combination of three colors and a section of hard tortise shell, are deadly on bass fish; they simply cannot resist that combination. Not all bass fall for this lure, but those who do not usually hit lures that look like miniture coffee tables or something bright with a lot of pointy bits.

So as you can see, catching both guitar and bass fish is not that difficult. The real trick is being able to spot the false guitar and bass fish. While you may think your fish finder is showing you a large school of guitar fish, more likely what you are seeing is a mass of false guitar fish (popularly known as posers). While a few true guitar fish may be hiding among them, it is more common to find schools of posers while the true guitar fish tend to be more solitary because no one understands or appreciates their sacrifice. And don't be fooled by those who say you can cull the false guitar fish using the volume knob test. Neither true guitar fish or the posers have any idea what a volume knob is.

Because of the low attraction rate of female fish to both true and poser bass fish they are much fewer in number than guitar fish and as a rule are not as easy to find as few bass fish require the validation so many guitar fish simply cannot live without. As with all things there are exceptions and the flashy bass fish who believes they can be a solo fish on par with the popularity of your typical guitar fish do exist, they are indeed a rare find in the bass world.

So in summary, bass fish are much more difficult to catch, but this is due in no small measure to their disproportionately smaller numbers in both the true and false types than guitar fish; not to mention bass fish tend to be much smarter and more aware than your typical guitar fish.

Oddly, HaphAsSard, TomB and 1 other person like this.
  12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'm not sure where the "international record" thing came from. The article said it was the biggest one THIS SEASON. That rarely gets a mention in the waters I fish, much less an article. It's the Eric Clapton part that makes it newsworthy

fhm555 likes this.
  13. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    I checked the current IGFA records and it's not listed so it must be a local or country thing.

14. Fleebag

Fleebag Quack! Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Fly fishing is the fretless bass of the fishing world. A time and a place for it but always fun and entertaining even if the results are not.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  15. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Thanks, I needed this! :D

16. If you squint, it looks like he is holding a bass.

17. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    American
    That's some bigga fish.
    If they catch and release, how do they know how much it weighs or how long it is?
    Do they pack a tape measure and weight scale in their tackle box?....asks the obviously not a fly fisherman.

elgecko likes this.
  18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Tools of the trade.

IMG_20170717_205102.

dtripoli likes this.
  19. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    American
    Of course!
    Makes more sense than the image I had in my brain...

Scale.

elgecko likes this.