1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Essential pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by H2ODog, Apr 17, 2009.

1. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    So i'm a newbie on effects and bought a Pedaltrain Mini just to brake into it and i really don't have an urge to have a ton of effects so i though this would be fine. I have three pedals so far, compressor, tuner, VT bass. If your main interest was rock (mostly classic and some modern) and blues what would you say are the essential pedals you would have?

2. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    That pretty much covers it, imo. When I think rock/blues I think of a mainly clean, unaffected sound.

When I was in a blues trio, I had pretty much the same, but I added an octave pedal (micro POG) to help fill out the sound some when the guitarist was going into extended solos. But even then, I only just barely had the low-octave noticeable. And again, that was because we were a trio and needed to fill out the sound some.

You just have to think about what will help out the overall sound of the band, where are the gaps that need to be filled.

3. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Thanks for sharing your experience, i think you are right on the money. I was actually looking at the POG as one pedal i may be able to use also. Did you have any use for chorus or distortion?

4. I like to have a nice subtle chorus for *big* parts, although putting it on thick enough to really notice can come off as cheesey(which can be good or bad :D). An overdrive/distortion is also a handy flavor to add here & there.

5. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    I find chorus to be essential for some songs and unnecessary for the other 95%, so I'd say you could do without one until a song requiring that sound comes up in a set list.

As for distortion, I personally love to lay it on thick. For you, an overdrive pedal would probably see heavy action.

6. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Can you recommend one? I can search it on Youtube to see it in action.

7. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    What's your price cap?

8. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Well, would like to keep it under $200 but if there was something out there that was really good i could go more.

9. They are ALL essential :D

I play in a Ramones/Go-Gos style band and i get a lot of milage out of the EHX Holy Grail with some subtle reverb and a little fuzz.

I would love me a VT Bass... so, nice purchase on that one!

I'll also give a +1 for the POG

10. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Do you use the VT for drive at all or just for warmth?

If you wanna do verb, go for the Holy Grial Plus or the Boss RV-3. They both have a blend, which I think would be more versatile for bass. You prooooooobably wouldn't need it for 'rock' though...

If you don't use the VT for drive, be careful of some of the overdrives out there. A regular tubescreamer or RAT 2 will suck the low end right out of your signal. Search around on this board for 'overdrive' (there's a zillion conversations about them) and peruse the post your pedalboard threads.

11. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Chorus not really... Distortion not really either. Although occasionally I would dial up the VT to get a bit of overdrive.

12. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA

Just use the VT for warmth, will do some research pedals you mentioned, thx.

13. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Thx for the info.

14. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    No prob. Try em out though, never know what you'll stumble across that'll fit well. Hell for a short time I used a talkbox just to add some weird texture :p

edit: For the VT overdrive, I wouldn't do it heavy, I would slightly turn up the Drive to where I would get some nice warm breakup when I really dug in. Like ZZ Top type tone

15. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    FUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

16. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    IMO, no pedal is essential. I LIKE my two pedal boards, but ultimately none of them are at all essential, especially if I was playing classic rock and blues stuff.

jte

17. Well, the only way to know for sure is to buy a fuzz, OD, delay, octave, LPF, ring mod, chorus, flange, phase, whammy, synth, wah, and after 6 months sell the ones you don't use. :)

18. The(previously)unwritten RULE#1 of TB FX. :D

19. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA

LOL, good one, i may be on that road right now, will let you know in six months.;)

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have been using a tuner and compressor, but may go to just a tuner - if that. I may go back to using my tuner out again. To me, if I'm going to use (read as go through the hassle of setting up, using a board, whatever) one or two, I may as well use a bunch.

I have looked at and tried to find a use for effects, but for me, plain old bass seems to work best.

For you, I think what you have should work just fine.