Eucerin Skin Cream Kills Strings DEAD!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jun 27, 2019.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Nothing else even comes close for deadening flats. Eucerin Aquaphor does OK at it, but it's only OK. And forget the other medicated formulas. Plain white Eucerin cream is the ticket for making your new flats thumpy quickly. Store brand substitutes are fine as well, but some can be runnier than others.

Takes a couple overnight applications and wipedowns to really work, but the first application takes care of the worst of the zing while the second makes them sound like they've been played in by a sweaty person for a month or two. Even works on zingy-when-new Chromes. Results were more dramatic with Dunlop flats, which are less zingy when new, but the Chromes G string can be tricky. Still it's way tamed down and barely clinging to life. It also takes a decent amount of edge off new strings if you're pressed for time and can't do anything but one quick coat.

Best of all, you don't have to skeeve it like rancid chicken grease or some of the really nasty bodily secretions some of you suggest (you really need help, people). No need to turn your bass into a breeding ground for microscopic parasites if you don't have to.

You can argue with me till you're blue in the face about this or that foreign substance, but to put it simply, you are wrong. For deadening strings, Eucerin is king. If you use anything else, you're jackin'.

EDIT: This quick string deadening method does not work on TI Jazz Flats, any kinds of strings with similar silk or synthetic windings if there are any, or coated strings. The cream can't work its way into the windings on these types of strings.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    And I thought this was a variation on the age old question "What's the best tuning for metal?"

3. Jimmy, the 'original formula' Eucerin is extremely benign. A friend recovering from shingles was advised by her Dr. that that was the ONLY thing he'd allow to aid with the scarring and itching on the way out. All organic, and should, incidentally, be harmless to finish and electronics.

. . . . and I far prefer that to rubbing the strings with a fried chicken bones . . . . .

JimmyM likes this.
  4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Wait 'till the pomade crowd gets here. :roflmao:

5. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Why overnight? marination is best for deep flavor lol

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Dear @JimmyM,

I have several outdoor gigs coming up. I don't want to risk string burn, so I ask you...

... what is the best SPF for rounds?

Sincerely,

Sunny Disposition

7. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Eucerin+Chrome+G-String=Tricky.... you just described my ex-wife.:woot:
    B.

matricus, pwilson, dnp41 and 19 others like this.
  8. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Good to know. Thanks, Jimmy.

JoshS, Yellow Bang66 and JimmyM like this.
  9. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I won't be doing that... But this is an "Now You Know" moment!

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    CrazyGlue works also.

JimmyM likes this.
  11. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I learned something new today. Having only played flats once, I didn't know that they ever had any zing.

MYLOWFREQ, J_Bass, wesonbass and 8 others like this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Good to know.

I mostly string with TIs. So if I still remember around 2027 or thereabouts when I do need to change them, I’ll have to give it a try maybe. ;):laugh::p:thumbsup:

Actually …TIs are already pretty deadish sounding right out of the box IMO. It takes a bit of steady playing before they fully open up and come into their own.

Got anything to smear on that’ll speed up that process?

(Kidding aside, thx for the tip Jim! :))

Frankie Fender, redwingxix and JimmyM like this.
  13. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Shouldn't this be moved to "Bass Humor & Gig stories " under hand cream gigs ....hehe

14. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    My DR Legends have finally fully broken-in on my Starfire after a few months of playing. Not sure why I didn't go the moisturizing lotion route this time... it used to be my go-to method. My hands are practically never clammy or sweaty, which is great in practically every other context... also helps prevent plain-steel guitar strings from oxidizing. Anyway, will get back into it for this new set of Fender flats I just put on my Precision bass. That hollow metallic new-flats sound is unfortunately a necessary evil.

JimmyM likes this.
  15. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    I draw all my new strings thru a soiled baby diaper.

Has to be formula fed baby; BF babies are not watery enough to penetrate.;)

Rabidhamster and JimmyM like this.
  16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm a Dapper Dan man!!! :woot:

17. Swingin

Swingin

Apr 29, 2018
    I was going to make a joke about this being something I can finally use to make new strings tolerable, but it looks like this is actually what the post was about. :p

MYLOWFREQ and JimmyM like this.
  18. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Does it work well on rounds? Some of us prefer a well worn set of rounds and getting them to simmer down can take quite a while, it would be great if this could speed that process up without risking salmonella or E. coli.

Marley's Ghost, CereBassum and JimmyM like this.
  19. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    i came here to say that. i was going to post a gif. now my whole day is ruined. THANKS A LOT. ;)

20. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    I didn't even know that you could make a dead string any deader (is that a word?). Learn something new every day, even though I'll never use it. Now, how can you make new round wounds even zingier?

wesonbass, Wisebass and JimmyM like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021