Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic audio CXL-112 vs. Wizzy 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I keep hearing different things from people concerning the differences between these two cabs...many have said that the Wizzy is "warm and detailed" and the CX-112 is "Versatile and modern" ...I hear words like "vintage vibe", "old school" when discussing the Wizzy and "harsh", "detailed" for the CX-112. What do you think? Which cab do you prefer between these two? Will they both for for any kind of music? Is one louder or clearer than the other?

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The descriptions you used are acurate. I sold a Cxl 112 after I bought my wizzy. Portablity is a big factor for me and the wizzy has a nice warm and articulate sound that took some EQing to get from the cxl. The cxl is more versitile and it would be easier to make it sound like the wizzy then vice versa. If you like a nice fat warm sound and don't need as much versatility then the wizzy is great.

I love to play with my wizzy. :eek:

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I would also ad that the vintage vibe that you get from the wizzy is EA's hi fi version of vintage. IMO it is has more lows, highs, detail than say a B15.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I totally agree. It's more vintage than the super hi-fi cabs, but it's FAR from the stuff I remember from the 70's. (in a good way)

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I wouldn't characterize the Cxl-112 has "harsh". Compared to many "scooped" cabinets the Cxl-112 relatively flat response brings out the mids more. This characteristic really allows the cabinet to cut through the mix.

Mike

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree with pretty much all that has been said, above. With regard to the CxL-112, it does not sound as full to my ears as the Wizzy, though it certainly has a more extended frequency range. They actually sound quite good together, and are in the same general ballpark volume-wise (which somewhat surprised me). The above comments on the Wizzy tone are dead on, and I would add only that it amazes me how it is able to sound both "warm" and "detailed" at the same time. Two Wizzy's are substantially better than 2x1 Wizzy, and still make for a very light, portable rig.

If you simply must have the tweeter, or you want the absolute lowest frequency response, then the CxL-112 definitely has the advantage. Also, if you happen to own an iAMP, the Deep switch seems especially well suited to the CxL-112, and you can leave it engaged and push the heck out of the CxL-112 without it ever complaining. The power handling of this cab is very impressive. As I mentioned, though, the sound is not as full as the Wizzy, and to me its seems like this is a comparative lack of low mids to middle mids. This makes for a scalpel-precise, clear tone, but it may be why some people are using the "H" word.

BTW, the NL-210 sounds somewhat like a cross between these two. It is definitely the warmest of the EA 2x10's, and reminds me of the Wizzy in this regard, but it is more extended in frequency response (though the lows are not quite as subterranean as with some other models). The NL-210 is ridiculously light, as well. It also pairs up wonderfully with the CxL-112.

Hope this helps, Tom.

P.S.
    Pound for pound, though, the Wizzy is probably the most impressive cab I have ever heard.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what the T guy said...

i happen to REALLY dig the CXL. awesome range, and punchier than rocky marciano. the wizzy seems cool, but the low B on the CXL is too nice to give up.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

keep hearing different things from people concerning the differences between these two cabs...many have said that the Wizzy is "warm and detailed" and the CX-112 is "Versatile and modern"

What amp you're using with the CXL is critically important to how you're going to perceive it, in my experience. The iAmp 800 is a great match--if you're not EQ-phobic. I have the older CXL-112, and I never, ever, use the deep switch on the iAmp. Might be because my EUB kicks so hard at 40Hz anyway. :cool:

The CXL is amazing for EUB. I've let other guys use it with BG for hip-hop, metal, jam band stuff, etc., and it worked pretty well for all those, once you EQ'ed it appropriately. Acoustic upright sounded great through it too.

Obligatory Tom Bowlus content: The CXL-112E and the Schroeder 1210 together are 5,317 X the sum of their parts! Seriously, the volumes work out great with the iAmp, in spite of the impedance "mismatch".

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    may i ask how the CXL-112E differs from the "L"?

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Dear lord, I think you may be onto something! I can see that being a great matchup! Thanks for feeding my addiction to bass gear acquisition! :help:

11. Whizzy is only like 29 lbs and is good value.

12. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    To answer some your questions, I will be running this cab with an iamp 350. What is the difference between the Cxl-112 E and L models?

13. Passinwind

I had the 350, as you know. I traded for the 800 to power my CXL, but I think the Wizzy might have the edge with the 350 by virtue of its lower impedance, letting you get full power from the amp. Tom had both speakers and can give you the goods on that. I played a few outdoor gigs on EUB with my 350 and the CXL, both with and without FOH help. It worked, but the 800 works better.

The E model is birch plywood, and weighs about 10 pounds more then the L model, which is poplar ply. I've never heard the L, but a few guys here have commented that the low mids are more pronounced on the E, and the mid-mids (DOH!) to upper mids are more so on the L. That could account for some of the differences Tom and I have voiced in how we EQ, although instrument choice, the rooms we play in, musical styles, and so on, may all be more important.

I'd love to check out the Wizzy, but the CXL is a complete keeper for what I do. I also ended up keeping my EV 15 that has a whizzer cone. It does alt.old-school really well, if I feel the need for that. If they had ever marketed those things as bass drivers they would have been pretty popular, I'll bet.

14. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal

I've sent an e-mail to euphonic audio asking the same thing. This is a quote of the reply:

"All CxL-112s are E all 800 Combos are C. L refers to the light version so an L is an E also.

Larry Ullman"

I bought a Cxl 112 L (new) in August, and it is marked in the back as Cxl 112E

Pedro

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The "E" stands for "extension", I believe, much as the "C" stands for "combo." But Passinwind is right about the switch from birch to poplar cabs, and I thought that they added the "L" at the end when they did this.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good point, and well-stated, my friend.

17. Passinwind

John Dong at EA sent me an email last night, correcting me, and telling me what pedroferreira quoted. I was quoting from some other posts on Talkbass, and was under the same impression as Tom as far as a labelling change happening with the move to the lighter model.

John also sent along some very thorough analysis of the differences in the tweeters and crossovers, which make me curious to hear the newer version. NO GAS here though, I'm very pleased with what I have.

18. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: LaBella, Fodera, JuleAmps, Epifani
    I recently picked up a CXL112 box with an 8 ohm Wizzy driver in it, and I must say, the tone is amazing! Imagine the best parts of the Wizzy, but warmer and with deeper low end response. A fliptop on steroids is really the first thing that comes to mind....I A/Bd it against my VL-210B using an IAmp Pro and the CXL/Wizzy beat out the 210 in both volume and clarity, with the 210 winning in the low end department literally by a hair! Still, VERY impressed by this setup and I wonder if EA ever thought of putting the Wizzy drivers in the CXL boxes....

19. Passinwind

Holy zombie thread! :p

I still have mine and have happily gigged it extensively for many years now. It has a few Passinwind mods, like most things that stick around for any length of time in my world. But it's outlasted quite an array of nice cabs.

20. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    The Cxl is the only cab I use for recording in the studio :)