Eurosonic ultra-light ??

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ERIC A, Feb 2, 2005.

1. A fellow bassist has offered to sell me a set of eurosonic ultra-light strings for a very reasonable price. He told me that they sound great, but the tension feels incredibly low. In fact, he told me that when he put his gut strings back on his bass, they felt like steel. Has anybody else had the same experience?

2. I don't know about the extralights, but the lights have a really low tension and are excellent pizz strings.
  3. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    I used to work for the company that imports the strings, promoting and developing them was my job.

I am surprised to hear that the gut strings are higher tension than the Eurosonic Ultra-Lights. I guess it just depends on the gut strings though...perhaps they are made of beef serosa instead of mutton serosa (beef results in a higher tension gut string).

There were two projects I was working on just before I left my previous employer. First was an even lighter tension Eurosonic set I was affectionately calling "Wicked-Ultra-Lights". The second was adding a 5th (low) string to the full line-up.

I am not sure how these are progressing now that I am not there, but I am curious to see what ends up hitting the market.
  4. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    Are the Eurosonic Lights easier to bow than the Ultra-Lights? Is the Light E thicker than the Ultra-Light E?
  5. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Yes, the Lights are thicker than the Ultra-Lights, and the Medium set is far thicker than the Lights.

No, the strings don't bow easy and they were never intended to be bowed. It's a pizz string really. Jazz, RAB, Bluegrass...
  6. Eric,
    Is there a sensible tension difference between the lights and the mediums ? Which one is best suited for both jazz pizz and rockabilly slap ?

I love my Eurosonics, I just wonder if I'll stick with the lights or go for the med. And no sanding paper will ever get near those !

(Too bad for my bow. I wonder if my dog would like chewing pernambuco. :D )
  7. I'm working with arco at the moment so the Euronsonics had to come off my bass :crying: I was using 'lights' which i thought were great for feel,sound and appearance. I'm not sure i will be developing orchestral technique for much longer, it was really only to develop my intonation (bowing makes you work harder at fine tuning)

Any way when i go back to pizz only which is the plan i want to buy a set of ultra lights for the lower tension, apparently i've read their is no loss of volume and they give you a sound/feel closer resembling to gut with out the headaches normally associated with guts.

I've tried guts, they are huge and thumpy sounding and my bass did'nt take them at all. I like a little bit more definition which i felt came through with Euronsonics.

8. Well whilst i also thought they were low tension, they were still pretty similar to steel. I'm seriously trying to make my mind up whether to get a set of ultra lights for when i go pizz only.

Like to hear from any one using the ultra lights.
  9. I understand that Eurosonic has gone out of business. Innovation might have bought them out. Check out the Lemur Web site.
  10. Can anyone confirm this ?? I would hate to have to buy a few sets right now... :bawl:
  11. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    I just called Lemur and the woman on the phone said that Eurosonic has discontinued the Ultra Lights. That seems very weird to me considering that those had been their top selling string. Maybe they are redoing them so they can be bowed. That would be nice.

12. I work at JR Music Supply, the exclusive distributor of Eurosonic Bass Strings, for the past 3 years. I'm posting because there are rumors going around that Eurosonics went out of business, sold to Innovations, etc. This is WRONG information. I don't know how, or why this was started, but the manufactuer is still in business, and we are still the exclusive distributor of Eurosonic Lights, Ultra Lights, and Medium gauge strings. A new shipment is schduled for delivery here in a week, or two.

I hope this puts puts to rest any before mentioned rumors.

Dennis Frati
    JR Music Supply
    Exclusive Distributor of Eurosonic Bass Strings
  13. Excellent news ! The more I play your strings, the more I like them !

14. Hey Crocau...Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate hearing from my peers. Your imput is what drives the succes of the Eurosonic line of strings.

If anyone has any questions, or comments they'd like to pass on to me, concerning Eurosonics, I'd like to hear it. Just shoot me an email at

15. Picked up a set of Euronsonic 'Ultra Lights' today from Bob G and i really dig them. Previously tried the 'Lights' and these seem familiar in tension and feel and respond very well to my bass. Nice and thumpy like guts but with definition, i think they are great for jazz or any style of Pizz only playing.
  16. kurt

Mar 15, 2004
    Edmonton A.B. Canada
    What exactly is hard about bowing the eurosonics? Is it starting the note?
    Sustaining it? Scratchy tone Similar to spiros on a plywood? I'm really looking for a string that's easier to slap but play arco on a few songs for the same gig. I don't want to go to plain gut because of the lack of sustain and tuning stability. Is there any other plain nylon wound strings that are more bowable?
  17. jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    If you use enough rosin, and maype apply some rosin directly to the strings, the can be bowed.
  18. JonBurr

Sep 29, 2008
    Yonkers NY
    These sound like a good option to put on a provided bass... gonna try em out. The price is right!
  19. I've played the Eurosonic light with the Bow on some venues and They are bowable... Not the the best bowed sound I've Heard but can be used!!!!! I've used Pop and Nyman rosin with them.....

Damn string addiction, now I want to put back the Eurosonic light on my bass!!!!!!
  20. JonBurr

Sep 29, 2008
    Yonkers NY
    Taking em out of the envelope, they scared me - they're WHITE! They look like toy strings. I put on the G... sounds GREAT! Especially compared to what's on the fiddle, unknown strings with red bottoms and yellow tops. Bowable, too, but tending screechy... but the hump is beautiful. They have real character, wide dynamic range, very expressive. I put em all on. Looking forward to the tour now!!