1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Evil GUITAR tones.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassikLee, Jul 25, 2007.

1. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I don't me evil tones, I mean tones for the evil guitar. Here is the meat of my question: for those of you playing in a band where at least the GTR is direct, what is being used for tone and FX?? I am trying to get rid of all sound crap on stage, and would like to find a good/affordable GTR processor that my GTR player can also handle live. The VOX Tonelab LE is the current front runner. Who's got experience with that, or the pod stuff, or.....

Thanks!

Lee

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have a Pod XT Live that I use for my guitar and bass. I'll just recommend that because that's all that I really have experience with. It's pretty good, although you'll be doing a lot of tweaking. I got mine used off eBay for $300, and it came with the two guitar add-on packs. Now I just need the bass pack...

3. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    We opened for .38 Special and both of their guitarists used PODs going direct with in ear monitors. They sounded great.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My guitarist uses a SansAmp PSA-1 for his preamp, running it straight into a Mesa Simul-Class 2:90 power amp, which drives one or two Mesa Recto cabinets. Most of his overdrive sounds come from the preamp with all other effects being supplied by a TC Electronics G-Force. Some sound engineers run a DI out of the SansAmp and mic one of the cabinets, while others just run straight out of the preamp. Most sound guys say that the mic sounds more open, but the DI sounds much cleaner and distinct. Everyone's blown away but how great the DI sounds.

I honestly think that the Line 6 stuff is over-hyped and most of it sounds digital and compressed to my ears. Obviously the SansAmp and the TC Electronics unit is a much more expensive route than a POD, but if you have the money to spare, I think that the quality will definitely be noticable.