Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EVM-15L in a sealed cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Corwin81, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Has anyone tried an EVM15L(or even a 15B) in a sealed cab? What size was it and how did it sound? Will they work in this application? Right now, I have one in a ported cab(not sure if it's anywhere near close to being tuned right, it just came with the speaker). I was thinking of possibly building an SVT style 1X15 to go under my newly restored Ampeg SVT-100 head. I've already got plenty of plywood for it.

2. I don't have complete information on this driver. But.. the other EV drivers that are similar have very high EBP, and designed for vented boxes. I suspect this one will be the same.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    A friend of mine liked them and said the factory suggested 3.3' tuned to 40hz as I recall. They used to publish plans but I don't recall them being used in a sealed enclosure.

4. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I have used EVM-L and/or EVM-B 15's in sealed cabinets with a 1970's vintage SVT or with a 1986 GK400RB at countless gigs over the past 20+ years. Each cabinet is loaded with one speaker. Inside dimensions of each cabinet are 21.5" X 18.5" X 9". I use 2 cabinets, each loaded with one 8 ohm speaker. I prefer the EVM-L speaker because it produces more highs and mids than the EVM-B. I cannot give you specs, but these cabinets have performed well in small and large venues, inside or outside, with or without PA support. I do not advise using only one cabinet unless you are very carefull with volume. It has been my experience that these speakers do not handle (or require) lots of power. I have dusted many a 15 by playing through only one speaker, but think I've finally learned my lesson. I recently acquired a 1001RB and 210RBH. The 210RBH works much better as a stand alone cabinet that a single EVM. By the way, I tried a single EVM-L with the 1001RB. Dust.

5. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I think I'm going to leave it in the cab that it's already in. A friend of mine that has more experience with the 15L said that it sounded like it's supposed to sound in a TL606ish cab. Just putting a new grill on it since the one that came with it has metal trim on it that rattles, and looks like an old Peavey.

6. Sealed bass cabinets ( when using an appropriate speaker and properly made ) have a slightly compressed sound, which I find lends itself to bass guitar very nicely. They also have a less steep roll off of the bass frequencies as you go down the spectrum than a ported cab would have. Usually they also have better transient response. Ported cabs however, are more efficient ( louder ) overall and smaller, which I believe is mostly the reason for their popularity. I have both, but I prefer the sealed cab as it suits my style and sound better. :bassist:

7. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    This is from an EVM-15L data sheet, circa 1987:

"...sound quality, and reliability of the EVM-15L will be realized in virtually any sealed, vented (bass reflex), horn, or open-backed enclosure."

and further:

"The most extended, lowest distortion, and best controlled bass performance is usually realized in properly designed vented enclosures."

EV used the TL606 enclosure to measure frequency response of the EVM-15L.

8. Please email me a scan of the data sheet. I'd like to add all the data to my spread sheet.

9. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI

You have mail.

10. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    mobax - are you saying that any 15" should have another cab with it and should not used as a stand alone?

11. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    No. The EVM speakers that I use can handle 200 watts. If you push them, they can blow. I am just saying that if you use one EVM, be careful. I have seen an EVM-15L or an EVM-15B blow even when there was no distortion or clipping. I've never seen one fail when used in pairs.

Note that most professional level 15 inch speakers now handle 400 or more watts.

12. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Yea, I blew my 15L some years back and had it then updated to a 400 W model, no problem since then.

I use it now with a 2x10" Trace Elliot (the old 2103 X, not the "H"), but I will switch to use it in combination with my new Euphonic Audio CXL112.

The EV 15L in the enclosure usually raises eyebrows from the sound engineers, so does the Euphonic Audio. Together they're a killer.

13. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    While the cab seemed a bit small, the sound coming out of it was very similar to the sound I remember coming out of a Mesa RR 2x15. Fat bottom, the snappy highs you wouldn't expect from a 15, and good midrange as well. It's got to be damn close, Corwin...