Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Exorcist: The Beginning

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    BWU HA HA H AHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAHA HA HA HA HA *falls over*

Who's with me?

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    :confused:

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I mean....

How bad is this movie going to suck?

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It won't be Catwoman. Beyond that, I couldn't guess.

5. Hmmm. Supposedly, the original trailer got banned for being too "scary"...

I don't have high hopes at all....

Not to mention that the original director got fired or left or some nonsense, so forget continuity of mood....

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I'll watch it out of morbid curiosity but I doubt it will be anything like the origional.

7. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    It's going to be hard to top the original.
    Why is it that everyone has to rehash something older and successful rather than try to come up with something new and successful. We need some more Clive Barkers around I think.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Fixed it for you.

9. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks man. In my old age I sometimes forget.............what was I talking about?

10. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I dunno. I wasn't paying attention.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I just saw the original and that is the most serious scary movie I have seen.

Most of the other scary movies I have seen have had elements of comedy, but the Exoricist was full on.

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    There is a trailer for it on Apple's website. I think I'll wait for it to be on basic cable. The original was a classic, but this just looks like a shameless attempt to squeeze every last dollar out of the franchise.

13. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'm kinda confused as to what the actual plot of the movie is. I know its before Regan was possesed. Is somebody else going to be possesed in this movie?

14. I know. What are they trying to accomplish? The guy is going in deep to find the cause...but OF WHAT? He obviously doesn't know about Regan, and certainly can't do anything that will have stopped the event with Regan, so really, beyond another scare-gorefest, I just don't see the point.

And, even if he found the "answers" he was searching for, to what end? Is it to validate to himself or hey, even the Vatican that this crap is goin' down?

Hardly.
    Ron

15. OK, just fyi, here's the synopsis:

Father Lankester Merrin thinks that he has glimpsed the face of Evil. In the years following World War II, Merrin is relentlessly haunted by memories of the unspeakable brutality perpetrated against the innocent people of his parish. In the wake of all he has seen, both his faith in his fellow man and the Almighty have deserted him. He can no longer honestly call himself a man of God.

Merrin has traveled far from his native Holland in a desperate attempt to escape the horrors that he witnessed there. While drifting through Cairo, he is approached by a collector of rare antiquities to join a British archeological excavation in the remote Turkana region of Kenya. They have unearthed a Christian Byzantine church in inexplicably pristine condition – as if it had been buried on the day it was completed. The collector wants Merrin, an Oxford-educated archeologist, to find an ancient relic hidden within the church before the British discover it.

But beneath the church, something much older sleeps, waiting to be awoken. Madness descends upon the local villagers and the contingent of British soldiers sent to guard the excavation. Merrin watches helplessly as the atrocities of war are repeated against another innocent village – atrocities he had prayed never to see again. The blood of innocents flows freely on the East African plain, and the horror has only just begun.

In the place where Evil was born, Merrin will finally see its true face.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hrmn. If the other was a classic, like 5 out of 5 stars, I think this one might peak at 3, if they do it right. If it completely exceeds all expectations and is better than it has any right to be, 3 and a half.

17. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Sounds interesting enough. I'll see it.

18. I hope this time its chicken noodle soup.

19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    How were Exorcist II: The Heretic and the third one?

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Beef stew, and barely.