Explain the Fender Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason42, Apr 25, 2019.

1. FYI: Glen Campbell has stated that the six string bass he played on the recording of Wichita Lineman was a Danelectro borrowed from Carol Kaye. He may have later played, or mimed, a Fender Bass VI, but the original recording is a Dano. It’s got that Dano TWANG!

RedVee likes this.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Sure, but it's the same scale length and tuning.

3. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    So this is basically a baritone guitar concept? Or does it have a deeper tonal register than one?

4. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    This is exactly why I haven't got one of the Squier Bass Vi , I am 99.9% a fingerstyle player, I play a Hofner so I am used to narrow spacing but the Bass Vi is guitar spacing (7mm i believe) which is useless for fingerstyle playing, if they made one with 14mm spacing like a Hofner i would be all over it.

5. That's a flute lol ;)

design and lizardking837 like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State

deirdresm and Mike.C. like this.
  7. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    I see. So approximately a fifth interval difference the VI bass being an octave lower than a standard el. guitar.

I want both damn it!

jd56hawk and lizardking837 like this.
  8. Mike.C.

Mike.C.

Jan 2, 2016
    Atlanta, GA USA
    I believe Peter's VI is a Shergold, no longer in production, and has spacing wider than a Fender/Squier Bass VI but skinnier than a 'modern' six string bass. You can almost tell by the wideness of the neck in the paused shot of the video. Wider than Fender/Squier, but not the oar you're used to seeing.
    There is single-note playing all the time, particularly with the use of a chorus.

lizardking837 likes this.
  9. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Same. That baritone is so cool, despite some people calling that color 'vomit-burst' I love it.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's only the most kick-ass rock song ever recorded (this ain't arguable either!) Every band member adds something to make this song so great. It has attitude, it's triumphant, when I hear this song, it makes me wanna drink beer. Steven Tyler's vocals are at their best.

Quote from Wiki

11. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    Bah those guys... It looks great!! :)

Simon Fretless and lizardking837 like this.
  12. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    I started my Bass VI experience with a Schecter Hellcat a bunch of years ago and grabbed one of the Pawnshop Fender Bass VIs as soon as they were released.

I love the instrument and see it as a unique voice. With the right set up you could fill traditional bass or guitar set up but I think it’s better to explore what the Bass VI is good at. I use a lot of pedals and think that some grit and light distortion is key to getting the right sound. I’m generally a pick player so that’s not an issue for me with the Bass VI. If you can swing it the Bass VI thrives with a two amp set up. I run a Fender Deluxe Reverb and an Ampeg combo and it sounds like heaven.

13. Spun__Kee

Spun__Kee Inactive

Apr 17, 2019
    Still ALL speculation.

And, your "The only Beatles songs..., and that's it!" has expanded.

14. Spun__Kee

Spun__Kee Inactive

Apr 17, 2019
    Piccolo.

If it's J.P. Souza correct, then a Db piccolo.

15. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    When someone says "the Bass VI is an octave below standard guitar" I wonder how often people don't realize that a P-Bass is also an octave below standard guitar?

And when people say "you can't use it as a regular bass" I get annoyed - you can, Roy Babbington is the proof and I have done it myself. However, it does take some adjustment of technique, and it helps to use heavier gauge strings like the ones LaBella makes. But then I realize, it's better that people think "you can't use it as a regular bass" because then I'll be one of the only people doing it!

16. boggus

boggus

Feb 21, 2018
    Expanded with what?

merseymale likes this.
  17. Somebody on here told me a while back that the bass VI is an octave below the guitar, and a regular bass was 2 octaves below, so the VI couldn't be used as a proper bass. :thumbsup:

People complain about the low E not being deep enough for bass. Why not just put on some heavy gauge flats?

Honestly I would love to play one if they didn't have the stupid trem bridge on there. If it was a simple 2 knob hardtail I'd be all over it.

Woodpile likes this.
  18. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    No.

A "regular bass" is one octave below guitar. So is the Bass VI and the Danelectro 6 string---they both have E-A-D-G strings in addition to a B and an E---so, low to high: E-A-D-G-B-E.

merseymale and Dabndug like this.
  19. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    o_O

20. I know it's not correct, I was just pointing out that there's a lot of misinformation on here that kept me confused for awhile.

lizardking837 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021