1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Extensions...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by BGreaney, Apr 7, 2006.

1. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    So, I'm thinking of looking into getting a new extension. I already have a few in mind, but I would like to get some thoughts on the goods and the bads out there. I have a Kolstein currently. Giving the benefit of a doubt, I'll say maybe it's just me that it doesn't work for. Anyway, I'm looking for something that isn't a machine that has latches for each note. Thanks guys/girls.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

We have done this to death out here if you do a search. I myself have authored at least one thread on 5s/Exts before. My favorite now after having just about everything except a sliding latch type is the Chromatic/Fingered Extension. Mine are all from Arnold Schnitzer. The work great, look great and don't butcher up the Scroll. Neat work on a fine instrument is a must for me.

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/MartiniBass/extE.jpg
    http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/MartiniBass/ScrollFront.jpg
    http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/MartiniBass/extG.jpg

It fingers easy as well when you have lower moving parts to play.

3. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Yea that was one that I had in mind. Thanks Ken. I did try searching. I guess I just didn't search with the right keywords and what not. Anyway. I'll be venturing to the other threads...

4. luthierbass

luthierbass

Jan 2, 2005
    Jon Peterson from World of strings makes some very nice extensions... He also makes the sliding extension as well... and he never cuts into his scrolls

5. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    Hey BGreaney, I go to the precollege at Manhattan and I'm currently getting a chromatic C extension put on by the Heartland String Bass Shop in Iowa City right now. If you see me around I can show it to you.

6. Any one here interested in a B extension? I'd certanly rather have that than a C. Just its rare to find one.

7. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    I appreciate your enthusiasm for B extensions mcnaire, however, I am definitely looking for a C extension.

8. KC Strings makes a B extension.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I highly and heartily recommend ANY work done by Jeff Bollbach. He put an extension on Bud Rink's bass (he's a member here, if you search hi sname you should be able to get an e-mail address, if not lemme now and I'll try to run it down), Bud's in NYC so you should be able to check it out in person.