1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Facebook Empire Aims to Take Over the Internet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rarbass, Apr 19, 2010.

1. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I have taken to referring to Facebook as the Facebook Empire. Anyway, This is an article from March of this year.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/face...-over-the-internet-with-facebook-pages-2010-3
    so basically, it is their INTENTION to take over the Internet? Quite ridiculous. I mean I guess when everyone looks at it for the most part, this is a good thing because most people love Facebook. But really, should this much domination over the internet be a good thing? I don't think so. So I hereby call forth those of us who refuse to have facebook, we shall start a revolution!

In reality, if the entire Internet operates around facebook, what becomes of those of us who don't want it?

2. I'm not trying to be dumb, but a) do you think they're using hyperbole when saying "take over the internet". also b) don't you think they've taken over a huge chunk of it? How many regular internet users don't have facebooks, even if they don't check them every day?

3. The Internet is a big place. You'd have to try really hard to take it over.

4. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    a) yes.
    b) yes. But it seems ridiculous how facebook seems to want to be everything on the internet. They've already got a huge mass of users, why expand to the REST of the Internet?

But I'll admit my hate for facebook is quite irrational.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Meh. This whole internet thing is just a passing fad. I give it another 2 or 3 years and we'll all move onto something else.

6. You probably don't like Web 2.0. That's what Facebook is the epitome of.

7. KelRox

KelRox

Apr 5, 2010
    DFWTX
    I had FB but got myself outta there. Too much drama! :scowl:

8. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    is it red font day?

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Groan. Facebook couldn't "take over the internet" even with unlimited money. Has Microsoft taken over the internet? Obviously not. Do they want to? Yes, and they've wanted that for many years. Could they afford it? Gates is one of the richest men on the planet. Anyone who thinks facebook is any more insidious than a fart in the breeze just needs to look at all the drying corpses and feeble has-beens that used to be "the next big thing" on the internet. Even Ebay has begun to fail.

10. Exactly. Fads are Fads. Who would have thought that myspace was going to be a ghost town (except for bands) like it is now 5 years ago?

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OK, I just read the article linked in the OP's post, and I have to say: OP, learn to read. Facebook is creating an opt-in system for using fbook features on non-fbook sites, and a Paypal-like billing system. Hardly the mark of the Beast, and not even worth shrugging about, much less fearing.

12. I'm just glad I recently joined FB; now, even though I hate it, I'm on the winning side. :)

13. tinfoil hat and all.

14. KelRox

KelRox

Apr 5, 2010
    DFWTX
    Red font day for me everyday! TEEEE HEEEE!!!!!!!

15. Laugh while you can- & I've upgraded to aluminum. :)

16. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Fair enough, though facebook has seemed to become bigger than myspace.
    again, fair enough.
    *hides in shame*

17. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Face book is stupid.

18. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    dollars.

It's not like it's rocket science.

19. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Many web sites do this already. You know when you click on a thumbnail on a Google Image results page, and part of it stays there if you keep browsing?

Yeah, they're planning to do that. Big deal.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont have a facebook and I can still use the internet just

*user disconnected*