1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fathead

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gbrooding, Jan 12, 2012.

1. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Back in the mid 80's I bought a "Fathead" for my Jazz Bass. It is a brass plate that attaches to the back of the headstock beneath the tuners. I was wanting to find another one, but am competely striking out locating one. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Greg

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Wow - I remember those. Though they worked (in their way) they didn't really take off because of the all added weight on the headstock and neck dive issues.

I haven't seen one of those come up anywhere in a looooooong time. These are like hen's teeth by now.

Similarly, it's hard to find a Fat Finger since they've stopped making them and they're much more recent. Keep an eye out for one of those instead and grab it if you find one. I'm glad I collected several when they were available. They can make a dead-note bass quite acceptable and I use them on several.

There are numerous threads on curing this problem. One industrious TB'er actually inlaid weights into the headstock for a permanent solution and showed a step by step - excellent job too. Search around.

3. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Are Fat Fingers those things Tony Levin used? (Invented too?)

4. Were there different ones that went on basses and guitars? My local guitar shop had one a while back and may still have it. It's a tiny little shop specializing in used gear and the owners son had used a couple of them in the late 90's and early 2000's and they ended up in the spare parts cabinet.

You can find them on facebook or I can check sometime and see if he still has it if you're interested.

5. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    LOL! No those were Funk Fingers.

6. It should be noted, that I totally got the Fathead mixed up with the Fat Finger. I remember the Fat Fingers being around a ton for both bass and guitar. Could that be what you were talking about?

7. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta

Attached Files:

8. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    no he means this thing:
    fathead. .

9. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
  10. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    and way back when, they also made a fathead for guitars:

[​IMG]

11. Well isn't that interesting. I can't ever recall seeing anything like that. I'll keep my eye out for you.

12. jthurston

jthurston

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Wow. OK, so what the heck is that thing? Some kind of sustain enhancer? I've seen the Fatfingers, but I've never seen this.

13. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    you probably havent seen one because they only sold for a short while many years ago, and never to be sold again :)

14. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Ok, so I am not alone in not seeing them around! I bought mine, put it on, and it has stayed on ever since. I was hoping to find a few more but it sounds like they are pretty scarce.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It moves around the deadspot on your instrument...hopefully to the upper reaches where it will be out of your way.

16. Hi.

You have one?

If so, why not just take it off, walk or drive into the nearest laser cutting company with it, and order a dozen. Problem solved, and You'll have a few extra to be sold that will enable to cut even, or do some profit if You're good at it.

Cuprous alloys are more expensive to laser-cut than ferrous alloys, but it still shouldn't be more than $20 per piece if You order more than one or two.

Ask 'em to engrave what ever You wish (within' reason of course) onto the correct side as well so they're personalized.

Regards
    Sam

17. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Back in the '80s I experimented with a plate of 1 mm thick stainless steel on my P copy. It seemed to make a difference in terms of note consistency and sustain, so it's stayed on there ever since. It doesn't add much mass, but (perhaps) increases stiffness at the headstock end of the system. Anyhow, no negative consequences.

5916938head_back_s.

18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    What's the best headstock for metal?

That one!!:D

19. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Bwhahahahaha

20. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    So Fender's making Fat Fingers now!!! That was originally a Dunlop product. I'm glad they're still around because they absolutely work. Like I said, I have several on numerous basses and the added mass moves the typical 5th-7th fret G string dead spot towards the nut, usually well out of the way. They do not necessarily eliminate it as it depends how dead the spot is, but it will make a very annoying characteristic something you can live with. You just move it around until you tune out your particular problem, and it's usually somewhere on the sweep with the decal.

I'll also qualify that - these are designed primarily for instruments with Fender style headstocks and one piece necks (with or without a fingerboard), though I've used them on 2+2's with varying results. Not as effective with multi-ply necks - the spot can end up in a place that's worse than where it was.