1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fattest possible Jazz-pickups? (humbuckers)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamerson_fan, Oct 6, 2010.

1. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

Feb 17, 2008
    Hi!

I'm a P-bass-kinda-guy, who's gonna buy a Jazz for a second bass.
    Since I love the fat P-bass-sound so much I want some Jazz-pups that are as fat as possible.

I read the sticky'ed J-pickups-thread and it seams the DiMarzio Model J seems to be the answer.

Are there any other humbucking Jazz-pickups available (not "hum-cancelling single coils")??

2. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    why are you buying a J with the intention to make a P out of it, if you prefer P bass...?

3. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

Feb 17, 2008
    I want a bass with a fat bridge pickup. I know, Stingray, but I want passive, and on a P/J I feel the P-pickup always overpowers the J.

I don't want a Thunderbird because of lack of thumbrest.

That's why I want a Jazz with humbuckers.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    How do you distinguish between "humbucking Jazz pickups" and "hum-canceling single coils?" The latter doesn't really exist, because true single coils hum, though Lace makes true single coils that use shielding and other characteristics for dramatically reduced noise. All hum-canceling Jazz pickups are, by definition, humbuckers. Many are in-line, like the DiMarzio Model J, some are stacked like the Duncan Hot Stack, and some are dual rails like Bardens, but they are all humbuckers.

If, by "humbucking Jazz pickups," you mean Jazz sized pickups not designed to sound like vintage single coils, you could also look at Delano, maybe Barden, SGD Lutherie, and I'm sure others. The Nordstrand NJ4SE is designed for an extra thick version of J-bass tone, and might work.

5. Rio grande pickup "Muy grande" is the phattest thing on earth, this is singlecoil but overwonded.
    Seymour duncan quarterpound, also single.
    Bartolini 9CBJD S1/L1 double coil in line.

6. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    have a look at Sandberg basses.. active/passive switch, P/J config or P/M config. Great basses.

7. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

Feb 17, 2008
    Nedmundo: Thanks for clearing things up! :)

8. The fattest sounding jazz pickups i have heard are the darkstars!
    They dont fit in a standard jazz route but if you can butcher a body they are worth it!

9. What jazz comes standard with a thumbrest?

10. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    You may get a J neck pickup to sound close enough to a P, but a J bridge pickup will never sound like a P due to the major difference in placement.

11. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    Nord fat stacks or big splits?

12. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    Or a preamp wth a mid knob?

Or a P-retro for your P and no second bass?

13. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Why not look into using 2 P bass pickups, but in the Jazz bass positions? You know, a dual-P configuration?

14. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Add a series/parallel switch to a Jazz and it will make the bass sound fatter than a months worth of Big Mac Super Size meals.

15. What about Nordstrand Big Singles? I had a set in my Lakland 55-01 and they were super huge and fat sounding, at least compared to other single coils I've played.

16. StingrayVB

StingrayVB

Dec 22, 2009
    the bridge pickup in the G&l sb2 ive found to be pretty thick. its got a lot of punch.

17. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    LOL...

Thick-ish modern-ish singles - Nordstrand Big Singles (but that requires some routing) This is to address a earlier posts.

I do like the Dimarzos they sound big.

18. sturoc

sturoc

Dec 12, 2009
    Regarding that series parallel switch -how is the stock switch on the Squire Deluxe V bass wired then ?

19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    "Hum canceling single coil" would imply that it's a stacked humbucker, or a split coil humbucker. Both sample the strings in a single spot, like a single coil. Most of those are made to sound like single coils.

A true humbucker senses the strings in two spots. Because of this, you get enhanced lows and mids, because the two coils are reinforcing common frequencies, and you have a slight cancelation of the highs, because those harmonics are closer together on the strings, and get canceled out because each coil is seeing the same harmonics. Also the two coils and blades increase the inductance to get a warmer tone.

As far as I know, the only true dual coil Jazz pickups are Bardens and mine. He winds his lower to sound like a single coil. Mine are wound hotter and use neo magnets, so they get more of a humbucker tone. The neck pickup is almost like P bass. I designed mine to sound more like my full size soapbar neo humbuckers, but because they are narrow aperture, they are somewhere between a humbucker and single coil tone wise.

Here's how the coils are laid out:

neojazzbuckerlayout.png

Alternately, I'm doing a sidewinder version that has a single blade, and is very bright like a real single coil with no hum.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021